90s Music

90s had the best music, new music is a mashup of shit and rock and rap just look at Lil Wayne and crap like that

Can't find any of the songs I'm looking for on Youtube.

But, Seefeel and Nav Katze are two great 90s groups that really exemplify the 90s feel for me. Plaid has some good stuff from then too. Also Company Flow/Mr. Len. And Boards of Canada.

And this almost too obvious to be stated, but Aphex Twin.

It was really one of the best decades for electronic music.

Aside from the 10 minute long techno

Goldie's gonna come and rip your ****ing head off with his grillz

goldie.jpg

It's funny to see the big difference between what Eurpeans were listening to in the 90s and what we were jamming over here.

LOL, I had no idea Dr. Alban was even heard of outside Sweden. I'd rank him as our second worst musical export ever, after ABBA.

Holy shit, I just played that Dr Alban song. I remember that from my days as a little kid in Poland. The only other time I heard that song I think was on the night at the roxbury (damn I need to get that movie). But the Polish used to play that constantly.

Wow god damn at first I just overlooked KA's post but then I actually listened and wow this is good shit. Apache break!

In conclusion No Limit you have bad taste.

So, how many people are actually posting music that they didn't listen to in the 90's but now listen to today that just happened to come out in the 90's?

I was kinda under the impression that we were posting music that we actually listened to in the 90's. As a kind of confession of guilty pleasures/nostalgia trip. Also because "this is what I listened to and I know it kinda sucks but screw you bastards I still like it" would be more interesting than "hey I started listening to this in 2005, and I checked the date on wikipedia, and it came out in the 90's".

Besides, most people here were probably a maximum of 10 years old when the 90's ended, and if you listened to all the music posted here, I wouldn't know whether to be impressed or disturbed.

In that spirit:

NINETIES YEAHHHHH when the tunes were catchy and the songs were cheesy and the girls fought over whether n*sync was better than the b.s. boys while the guys were like "pfft they both suck, oh man blink182 is awesome".

Ah nice, I remember listening to The Verve and No Doubt.

Took me 'til the early '00s to hear Oasis, when I switched over from Top 40 radio to Alt Rock in high school. (I was born in '87). Then in '04 or '05, I heard Sigur Ros's Vidrar vel til Loftarasa, and quit mainstream alt-rock for post-rock. I just checked out the Billboard Charts for #1 alt rock songs the past couple of years, and I can't believe some of these bands still exist.

Anyways, I just remembered:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGObF2q63Ew

So, how many people are actually posting music that they didn't listen to in the 90's but now listen to today that just happened to come out in the 90's?

I was kinda under the impression that we were posting music that we actually listened to in the 90's. As a kind of confession of guilty pleasures/nostalgia trip. Also because "this is what I listened to and I know it kinda sucks but screw you bastards I still like it" would be more interesting than "hey I started listening to this in 2005, and I checked the date on wikipedia, and it came out in the 90's".

Besides, most people here were probably a maximum of 10 years old when the 90's ended, and if you listened to all the music posted here, I wouldn't know whether to be impressed or disturbed.

I don't know about anyone else but I actually did listen throughout the 90's to the music I posted... Also I was 14 when the 90's ended so **** you.

And no, I don't consider any of it a "guilty pleasure".
This however is hahah:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTnT3DfQyrw&feature=related

I don't know about anyone else but I actually did listen throughout the 90's to the music I posted... Also I was 14 when the 90's ended so **** you.

^ this.

And I'm loving alot of the stuff posted here, forgot about a lot of these songs.

I don't understand your point. Yes, I was 10 when the 90s ended. I didn't actively seek music at the time. Instead I was saturated with everything on top40 radio and what my sister listened to. Indeed, I remember all of the songs you posted.

That doesn't change the fact that most songs posted here can't be enjoyed but for their nostalgic effect. Did you really get into Jewel? Like, own her album and everything? I think very few of us can confidently claim 'yeah I bought lots of albums in the 90s here are my top 5 bands.' The demographics are just too limited. I mean sure, No Doubt was good, but I've probably heard Don't Speak about a thousand times, to the point where I don't hear it as a song but as a reminder of a time where the only musical influence I had was hanging out in my sister's room listening to her stereo.

So aside from the old fogeys, most of us are going to be posting either overplayed songs we all remember (MMMM BOP) for irony/nostalgia, or like KA genuinely try and give exposure to quality obscure stuff that there was very little chance anyone heard when it came out. Which would you rather?

I was trying to think of something more annoying than Blue. I think the Hanson were a succinct choice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHozn0YXAeE

Holy shit Hanson's career still hasn't ended. They've been steadily making albums ever since.

* Boomerang (1995)
* MMMBop (1996)
* Middle Of Nowhere (1997)
* Snowed In (1997)
* 3 Car Garage (1998)
* Live from Albertane (1998)
* This Time Around (2000)
* Underneath Acoustic (2003)
* Underneath (2004)
* The Best of Hanson: Live & Electric (2005)
* MMMBop: The Collection (2005)
* 20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best of Hanson (2006)
* The Walk (2007)
* Middle of Nowhere Acoustic (2007)
* Stand Up, Stand Up (2009)
* Shout It Out (2010)

Actually bought the album when it came out because of this song, and the album totally sucked.
You just reminded me; my dad bought this album because of the single, too. I didn't listen to much music at the time, so I tried very hard to enjoy it. I think I developed a sort of musical Stockholm Syndrome, and started to like most of the songs.

Then I got a radio for Christmas, heard the Foo Fighters, and promptly forgot about Chumbawumba for a decade.

Then I got a radio for Christmas, heard the Foo Fighters, and promptly forgot about Chumbawumba for a decade.

Can you imagine the kids of today saying the phrase "Dude, I just got a radio for christmas and it totally changed my world".

Can you imagine the kids of today saying the phrase "Dude, I just got a radio for christmas and it totally changed my world".
Hah, that would be great. Soon it'll be, "Dude, I just got a last.fm subscription for christmas and it totally changed my world."

I don't understand your point. Yes, I was 10 when the 90s ended. I didn't actively seek music at the time. Instead I was saturated with everything on top40 radio and what my sister listened to. Indeed, I remember all of the songs you posted.

That doesn't change the fact that most songs posted here can't be enjoyed but for their nostalgic effect. Did you really get into Jewel? Like, own her album and everything? I think very few of us can confidently claim 'yeah I bought lots of albums in the 90s here are my top 5 bands.' The demographics are just too limited. I mean sure, No Doubt was good, but I've probably heard Don't Speak about a thousand times, to the point where I don't hear it as a song but as a reminder of a time where the only musical influence I had was hanging out in my sister's room listening to her stereo.

So aside from the old fogeys, most of us are going to be posting either overplayed songs we all remember (MMMM BOP) for irony/nostalgia, or like KA genuinely try and give exposure to quality obscure stuff that there was very little chance anyone heard when it came out. Which would you rather?

Well if you're just posting music that you like now, it might as well go in Rate and Discuss. Sure, the 90's is the time span it happened to come out, but without any personal relevance to your musical journey through life :p. Heck, why even bother asking for good obscure music from The Nineties specifically if really all you wanted was good obscure music.

And your point about No Doubt reminding you of hanging out in your sister's room is exactly what I was getting at. That the music we listened to ties so strongly to our memories of people and years and random crap we used to do.

Anyways, my sister loved Jewel and had a few of her albums. I still consider her to be one of the best female artists of that decade, along with Sarah McLachlan.

I guess we just have different ways of looking at it. When someone asks me what 90's music I listen to, my gut reaction is to fully go back to the 90's.

And looking back through, I think I was mostly responding to Autechre and GYBE. I listen to GYBE now but I never associate them with the 1990's at all. So even if someone explicitly asked for songs from the 90's that weren't mainstream, I would never think to pull that up. I would actually have to sort my playlist by year to figure out what music I currently listen to came out then. Which is stupid. It would come out like "Hmm, looks like Arvo Part's Berliner Messe came out then, with a recording of his Te Deum choral masterpiece. And I guess that one Slint album came out in '91."

Back