9800 pro 256mb or FX 5900 256mb?

Originally posted by Anthraxxx
DL new drivers. should fix your problems

I did, might be problem with my mobo, not sure, could be anything...

Originally posted by Innervision961
Do you think there will be any new cards from ATI or NVIDIA before half life 2's release because i plan on building a new system pretty soon and I was wondering if i should wait until closer to the HL2 release to do so.. Also does anyone here is 3ds max 5 with an ATI card? I have heard some people say that max doesn't work right on ATI cards, is this true?

There should be another card to come out before HL2, the R360, which many think is just another speed bump on 0.15

The 9800PRO, no doubt about it.

And why are you people even thinking about tomshardare? Hate Tom!

pinkerton is right, vsync is the best thing ever, i have a p4 2.5ghz and when i turn off vsync sure i get 100FPS in half-life but i get so much tearing it seams like 40fps. im really at odds about the whole 9800 VS FX 5900 thing, because Half-Life 2 would be great, but how is it going to run Doom3, and Stalker? (most people dont know what stalker is but believe me its on the same level as HL2)

you peeps are worrying too much. think of it in these weird terms.

2 kids are born in the center of america. the kids grow up and 1 moves 50 miles to the west, and the other moves 50 miles to the east.

the kid in the west declares his land ationia, and the kid in the east names his area nvidiona. soon 1 kid owns the western half of the world, and the other owns the east.

they destroyed everyhitng on earth and rebuilt it too suit themselves. the kid on the west made a giant city that was all the color blue. the kid on the east made the same sxact giant city but it was colored red. they both had the exact same things except the west side kid represented the blue team, and the east side kid represented the red team.

Originally posted by [Hunter]Ridic
you peeps are worrying too much. think of it in these weird terms.

2 kids are born in the center of america. the kids grow up and 1 moves 50 miles to the west, and the other moves 50 miles to the east.

the kid in the west declares his land ationia, and the kid in the east names his area nvidiona. soon 1 kid owns the western half of the world, and the other owns the east.

they destroyed everyhitng on earth and rebuilt it too suit themselves. the kid on the west made a giant city that was all the color blue. the kid on the east made the same sxact giant city but it was colored red. they both had the exact same things except the west side kid represented the blue team, and the east side kid represented the red team.

Was that supposed to enlighten me in some way?
And the west-kids city should be red!

Originally posted by |CC|Hudson
pinkerton is right, vsync is the best thing ever, i have a p4 2.5ghz and when i turn off vsync sure i get 100FPS in half-life but i get so much tearing it seams like 40fps. im really at odds about the whole 9800 VS FX 5900 thing, because Half-Life 2 would be great, but how is it going to run Doom3, and Stalker? (most people dont know what stalker is but believe me its on the same level as HL2)

Now, here's something we can think about.
HL2, wich is sponsord (or how you should call it, and spell it) by ATI, they showed it of on their 9800PRO. So people just kind know that with that card, it will run the best.
But D3 and Stalker, wich are display on nvidia cards, recently the 5900, we think the same but with Nvidia instead.
Now this is showing, but not really proveing (spelling again) that these games would actually run with one of these highend cards better then the other card. And as we all know, that's not good, and it's certanly not something we should like.
Games that have the "Nvidia, the way it is meant to be played" logo in them, usually run less good on ATI cards, hmm..how come?
And some games, well, they just tend to be better with Nvidia cards even if their cards ATI equalls or better parts should do as good as they are.

It seems at the very beginning of my presence here I just stepped into the holy war between acolytes of NVidia and ATi (like it was with Intel and AMD users) - too bad, cos frankly that's not what I was looking for! I'm in a real need for making my choice now between two cards I can afford: FX 5900 128 MB (non-ultra version) and ATi 9800 PRO. Actually guyz, there are a few things I can say for sure about those two cards:

* BOTH DISCUSSED GPU's PRODUCERS ARE CHEATING (which they call: optimization;-)) IN BENCHMARKS,

* FX is a little cheaper than ATi, and - according to what nVidia says - more technologically advanced (new alghortims of Intellisample HTC, UltraShadow etc.) even if for now...
*... FX is also a little slower in some of benchmarks, and games,
*with ATi we can get a nicer picture,
* FX is more powerful card in OGL (let's say excluding games which of'course I love playing, sometimes I need to use it with some gfx appz like 3ds max etc.)
* ATi have better drivers,

* a place for any other arguments you would like to add

but it still wont help me make my mind - so would like I ask you to help me in any creative and wise way to solve my problems in making choice please.

Now, a day before I have to buy the GPU, what makes me a fool, cos I want to buy a video card for a game which was not released yet (I'd bet in 3 months, when HL2 is out, at the same price I'd buy faster GPU or just the same, but cheaper for 20-25%), I need an advice, would appreciate if someone involved in developing HL2 could add his 2 cents. Actually the most important thing for me is if the new incomming this summer games, like HL2, are going to take any advantage of new features implemented in FX 5900, I mean like UltraShadow or new improoved Intellisample High Compression Technology (HCT)?

Will be grateful for any answers, which will make my decision smarter! Best regards, Marek K. ZBOROWSKI ([email protected])

P.S. Sorry for my english :cool:

Originally posted by A.A
Now, here's something we can think about.
HL2, wich is sponsord (or how you should call it, and spell it) by ATI, they showed it of on their 9800PRO. So people just kind know that with that card, it will run the best.
But D3 and Stalker, wich are display on nvidia cards, recently the 5900, we think the same but with Nvidia instead.
Now this is showing, but not really proveing (spelling again) that these games would actually run with one of these highend cards better then the other card. And as we all know, that's not good, and it's certanly not something we should like.
Games that have the "Nvidia, the way it is meant to be played" logo in them, usually run less good on ATI cards, hmm..how come?
And some games, well, they just tend to be better with Nvidia cards even if their cards ATI equalls or better parts should do as good as they are.

im not really dissagreeing with you on this one, but i must say when i play ut2k3 on my friends computer with the 9800 pro 128, its...its...amazing. the graphics are the most awesome thing. what i mean is ut2k3 has the "nvidia, how its meant ot be played" logo in the start up. just though id say that.

Originally posted by apoc
It seems at the very beginning of my presence here I just stepped into the holy war between acolytes of NVidia and ATi (like it was with Intel and AMD users) - too bad, cos frankly that's not what I was looking for! I'm in a real need for making my choice now between two cards I can afford: FX 5900 128 MB (non-ultra version) and ATi 9800 PRO. Actually guyz, there are a few things I can say for sure about those two cards:

* BOTH DISCUSSED GPU's PRODUCERS ARE CHEATING (which they call: optimization;-)) IN BENCHMARKS,

* FX is a little cheaper than ATi, and - according to what nVidia says - more technologically advanced (new alghortims of Intellisample HTC, UltraShadow etc.) even if for now...
*... FX is also a little slower in some of benchmarks, and games,
*with ATi we can get a nicer picture,
* FX is more powerful card in OGL (let's say excluding games which of'course I love playing, sometimes I need to use it with some gfx appz like 3ds max etc.)
* ATi have better drivers,

* a place for any other arguments you would like to add

but it still wont help me make my mind - so would like I ask you to help me in any creative and wise way to solve my problems in making choice please.

Now, a day before I have to buy the GPU, what makes me a fool, cos I want to buy a video card for a game which was not released yet (I'd bet in 3 months, when HL2 is out, at the same price I'd buy faster GPU or just the same, but cheaper for 20-25%), I need an advice, would appreciate if someone involved in developing HL2 could add his 2 cents. Actually the most important thing for me is if the new incomming this summer games, like HL2, are going to take any advantage of new features implemented in FX 5900, I mean like UltraShadow or new improoved Intellisample High Compression Technology (HCT)?

Will be grateful for any answers, which will make my decision smarter! Best regards, Marek K. ZBOROWSKI ([email protected])

P.S. Sorry for my english :cool:

seriously dude both cards seem to be amazing. i recomend flipping a coin on it. if the "hl2 will be better with ati" rumer hadnt started, thats what i would have done.

Plain and simple.

If you want better picture(smoother edges) go 9800 Pro.

If you want better performance go 5900.

Simple as that.

Enough said.

Thing is noone can notice the speed difference unless using benchmarks which do not reflect in game play. And performance difference between 5900 and 9800 is minimal. Because 9800 has better picture get that.

Enuf said.

Back