a new HL2 mod you won't want to miss

TB Biggs

Reaction score
Official Press Release (May 11, 2007): The makers of Coastline to Atmosphere and Hypercube: Source have teamed up to develop a new Half life 2 single player modification called STRIDER MOUNTAIN . The mod team will feature new textures, introduce new models and present stunning indoor & outdoor maps.

In game, players will experience a challenging journey to survive the summit of STRIDER MOUNTAIN that involves perplexing puzzles, formidable fire fights and an ending that will have gamers engage the forums!

A collection of unique features will unlock upon completion of the game. In addition, the development team will be announcing a special contest where the winning entry will be featured in the mod. For more information visit the official website:

www.stridermountain.com
survive the summit
coming summer 2007

Pretty intro on the site, at least... any more information? Story? Screenshots?

Thanks for the comments. We have quite a bit of the mod done and will be releasing stuff for you to see real soon.

Mods should be played and not read about in psuedo-professional press releases that contain no real information whatsoever.

That is, I detect

N-N-N-NUCLEAR DAWN SYNDROME

No, seriously, why would you announce a modification and not show ANYTHING about it? You think people are going to remember about this website in three weeks when it launches?

wow, the end of the intro has the generic overused "whispering girl" voice :\

I think I'll pass.

I agree with Timojay.
What kind of an idiot says that?

@GordonFreeman911.
You come across as a person who just wants to get his post count up, and doesn't really care about upcoming HL2 mods.

@Slug Advisor
Sorry, but we are not intending on resurrecting Mecha-Breen for this mod.

@Shodan
In what way does the name look unprofessional?

@xlucidx
Because you haven't seen the preview clips yet.

@Ennui
At last, a sensible post.
There was a technical glitch when the news went out about our mod. There should have been more content, but we are working on it. Hosting problems.

@ DESSTROYER
It was a boy, and it worked for EA Games.

Well you should all be able to see what the mod looks like very soon. Please have a little patience.

You come across as a person who just wants to get his post count up, and doesn't really care about upcoming HL2 mods.

Yeah, not being interested in your mod is not the same thing as not being interested in any HL2 mods.

Also, you aren't EA games, and being a mod creator I'm surprised you'd want to be compared to them since EA games has a bad rep around most mod communities for their severe lack of innovation and frequen cease and desists.

Oh, and to answer the other question. The name "Strider Mountain" sounds like a combination between a bad ride at disneyland and a cheap children's movie.

Mods should be played and not read about in psuedo-professional press releases that contain no real information whatsoever.

That is, I detect

N-N-N-NUCLEAR DAWN SYNDROME

No, seriously, why would you announce a modification and not show ANYTHING about it? You think people are going to remember about this website in three weeks when it launches?

I'd forgotten the name of the mod by the time I got to your re-sized text..

Of course I think that's because you mentioned NUCLEAR DAWN, and that tends to make my mind go blank...

Yeah, not being interested in your mod is not the same thing as not being interested in any HL2 mods.

Also, you aren't EA games, and being a mod creator I'm surprised you'd want to be compared to them since EA games has a bad rep around most mod communities for their severe lack of innovation and frequen cease and desists.

Oh, and to answer the other question. The name "Strider Mountain" sounds like a combination between a bad ride at disneyland and a cheap children's movie.

To add to that, your intro had nothing in it but bargain basement effects with the idea of getting people to visit a site they are ALREADY ON...

Then you click ahead to get onto the site, and it looks nice, with no content.

If you have so much of the mod done, why is the site not stocked with screen shots, concept art, model art? It's all already done, that's what's going to get people interested in your mod, NOT a flash animation combined with a static home page.

It's just ugh. Why bother.....

For me, that's the appeal. It sounds silly, over the top, and unpretentious to the extreme. Like a B-Movie that knows it's brilliant in its tackiness.

"Can you tame...STRIDER MOUNTAIN?" and then some panoramic shot of a mountain in a thunderstorm and two generic kids dressed to look hip scaling it while drinking powerade.

-Angry Lawyer

Hahahaha :D six3's post really raped the mod's announcement.

But as for the mod, you better have some new textures, lots of striders, ace models and a huge fu**ing mountain or else ... you wont, inwhich case the mod would suxxorz. good luck.

-dodo

@ DESSTROYER
It was a boy, and it worked for EA Games.

Well you should all be able to see what the mod looks like very soon. Please have a little patience.

No, it didn't work for ea games, that is possibly the more annoying logo i've had to sit through, and EA games is possibly the worst video company ever to exist.

And second of all, it's not just used for EA games, NVIDIA's intro also has it, along with ASPIRE, and alot of other products and advertisements use it.

I actually like leon brinkmann and baltic forever's work, but i think it was a bit of a "marketing" mistake to omit screenshots from the "press release"

No Mecha-Breen? Owww...
Anyway, I'm not so sure about this mod. Strider Mountain sounds liek something where you jump from roof to roof, while trying to aim at a Strider with OMFGWTFPWN Active Shielding, but from what we know, it'l probably be something worse.

it's always hard to please everyone, like Baltic explained went something wrong. but very soon, (within a week), you can see screens and movies of the maps/models and textures.
please just watch that and then you can decide to follow this project or not.

thanks for all the comments, the good and the bad ones.

leon

I say its better to wait until pics and movies to tel us how good this movie is...

but I like judging mods before any content :p

u are hyping it TOO much, people will be dissapointed (unless its awesome
(very hard!) or atleast its better than other sp (mp?) mods out there)
good luck (u will need it!)
p.s. sry for so many brackets (I try)

I'm glad to see that my first post provoked a reaction.:LOL:

The mod which we are working on is basically intended to show the general gaming community, or level designer, what can be accomplished when working as a small team. There are other reasons why we are making this mod, but that's all I can tell you at this moment in time.

I should have some screenshots and maybe even a small movie clip to show you soon. Then you can begin to judge the mod.

I should have some screenshots and maybe even a small movie clip to show you soon. Then you can begin to judge the mod.

You should have had some screenshots from the beginning. I'm a huge supporter of the modification scene, but your first post was just ridiculous :|

For me, that's the appeal. It sounds silly, over the top, and unpretentious to the extreme. Like a B-Movie that knows it's brilliant in its tackiness.

"Can you tame...STRIDER MOUNTAIN?" and then some panoramic shot of a mountain in a thunderstorm and two generic kids dressed to look hip scaling it while drinking powerade.

-Angry Lawyer

Hahahahahah, that's said perfectly!
(Oh and I'm interested in getting my postcount up, yes. But I'm interested in *SOME* mods!)

the screens look pretty nice and something is being accomplished, which is rare.

my two suggestions:
make those cliffs smoother! they look like they are from HL1
and the color and size of the climbing axe is distracting, its hard to focus on the map when my eye is drawn to the bright blue handle

Intro to the website is way to hypey, thread was botched, but what matters to me is gameplay. Screenshots look ok.
The blue thing is pretty ugly. I'd rather barf on it than stick it in anything.
Other than that I suppose I will give your mod a fair run when it's released.

the flash intro is well....flashy , intros and splash pages in general dont really acheive anything. if you have a well thought out and informative site then you really dont need any intro. its just another page between your audience and your information.

To be fair, by announcing the mod, you essentially opened it to any and all sorts of judgement by your own choice; not including content was silly, but excusable.

The screens are alright. I like that there's some custom content (though... how much of it was done by your team and not ripped from something else? If that's a reskinned version of the pick from Kreedz, you had better have permission to use it) but the geometry/terrain work is shoddy. Like AL said, you could really use some displacements, and a bit more brush detail. Some of the textures are a tad low-res too, maybe scale them down?

hard to focus on the map when my eye is drawn to the bright blue handle

Thanks for the comment. I will fix that.

how much of it was done by your team and not ripped from something else? If that's a reskinned version of the pick from Kreedz, you had better have permission to use it

Yes we have permission to use that. And we have just as many custom models as we do "borrowed" models.

This isnt a Huge mod and will be released sooner then you think. So stay tuned.

Thanks for the comments.

Back