About the weapons in EP1..

Reaction score
Hi!

Do we have new guns in ep1? If we have, what kind of? Can we finally shoot trough doors walls etc etc?

Or do we have new sound effects in bullets? Any graphical improvements?

Ok, thanks for ya answers!

Sry if posted already.

I'm convinced we got a Com-bow, Combine enhanced Crossbow, but no one else is. But otherwise, no.

No new weapons which is good really because HL2's arsenal is sufficient.

You have a very good new weapon, called Alyx.

How come every time we kill a combine sniper his gun doesn't happen to fall our way like his body?

charybdis said:
How come every time we kill a combine sniper his gun doesn't happen to fall our way like his body?

Because no model exists for it. And in theory we don't need it because we have the Crossbow.

Samon said:
No new weapons which is good really because HL2's arsenal is sufficient.

It would of been nice if we could get our hands on the hand-held Tau Cannon

You get flares (lights things on fire, but they're physics objects so you have to pick them up/use the grav gun) and you also get to use an enemy thing Alyx reprogrammes.

I am just saying that the combine sniper rifle would be one of the only plausible weapons that could be introduced with little effort in the story. It has been established in HL2 and EP1 and would be helpful in a forest, if that would be the setting for EP2. You could make it like a bonus weapon that would be tucked away somewhere out of the way and ammo would be hard to come by. The crossbow has served as the long range weapon thus far, but I think the combine sniper would be a good addition to Gordon's arsenal.

Yeah, they could add it without messing up gameplay too much...just have a little less ammo for each so players will switch between them. It'd be fun to have that laser sight when sniping.

Well to make me happy they would have to add in Ep2 just 3 weapons: gauss (tau cannon), multifunctional mines, sniper rifle. I'm pretty sure the gauss and sniper rifle Will eventually be introduced and if I'm not mistaking I've heard some rumors about new advanced weaponry: gluon gun anyone?:D

How about the SLAMs? Those are all ready to plop into the game--there are interesting tactical puzzles they could come up with involving those.

Butterblaster said:
How about the SLAMs? Those are all ready to plop into the game--there are interesting tactical puzzles they could come up with involving those.

Yeah that's what I meant. I haven't played HL2 DM so I haven't seen them in action. Are they good?

I want a headcrab launcher! That'd be awesome.

Boom... headshot! :D

charybdis said:
I am just saying that the combine sniper rifle would be one of the only plausible weapons that could be introduced with little effort in the story.

The story is natives of earth fighting alien invaders. Why would only an alien weapon be plausible? Surely some of the insurgents were hunters before the invasion. So obviously a hunting rifle would be totally plausible.

Maybe the combine invaded military installations. But surely there were many other stockpiled weapons caches the combine couldnt find out about. Gun shops in the U.S. would have been looted and they could have made it to Europe where firearms are harder to come by. Any weapon would be plausible.

i must be only person in planet who thinks that hl2 guns sucked hard.. they felt so lame.. poom poom nothing happens.. and i dunno why but one thing that bothers me is that bullets do not go trough walls, boxes etc.. why is that? would be cool do u guys thing huh?

And i also say that crosbow was lame gun too, i mean when u did shoot with that "weapon" the "bullet"(i dont know what it is) did fly very slow and that sucked.. also pistols, ok mangnum was coo but that basic gun sounded like shit imo.. shotgun was clearly the best weapon in game, it packed a bunch ye! submachineguns where also bad, sounds where the reason why those guns sucked..

dont get angry about this post but i say that hl1 guns where way freaking better!!

when u shoot a gun, u should know that u shoot a gun.. hl2 was great game, but damn, guns sucked hard :D

Peace out..

Underhill[FIN] said:
when u shoot a gun, u should know that u shoot a gun.. hl2 was great game, but damn, guns sucked hard

QFT:)

Underhill[FIN] said:
also pistols, ok mangnum was coo but that basic gun sounded like shit imo..

I like some oomph and bass with the weapon sounds. Like the pistol in Farcry. Unrealistic but awesome.

Having just played through the first half of Blue Shift, I can safely say, I hated the HL1 guns. I loved the game, but for some reason they lacked the power behind the HL2 ones. Possibly because I have become comfortable and spoilt by ragdoll physics.

kag30 said:
Any weapon would be plausible.

I think that after two decades of living under Combine oppression, you realize that your SMG is of more use than grandpappy's Kraut-Popper.

I personally had no problems with the weapons in HL2. And they were CERTAINLY better than the selection in HL1. My SMG felt like it was going to fall apart any second, with that constant clattering, chintzy sound it made. Pistol lacked that certain "pop" factor that its HL2 iteration had. Shotgun was alright, I guess. But man, I don't know how you can blow a metrocop back with a shotgun, watching his body flail backwards, and NOT feel powerful.

Redneck said:
Yeah that's what I meant. I haven't played HL2 DM so I haven't seen them in action. Are they good?
You can throw them on the ground and remote detonate them like in HL1, but you can also stick them on the wall or floor with a trip laser.

Oh man.. whats this.. smg that had tracers and grenade launcher.. 5 shots to combine.. that sucked.. sound was same all the time.. pistol.. 10 shots to combine.. no power behind that gun at all.. :sleep:

crosbow slow as hell, no power. shotgun=good, headshots were awesome.. mangnum=ok, but didnt have something. gravitygun was cool but not anymore cause its getting boring.. combine smg was ok, but enemies didnt fly long enough when u shot them.. know what i mean?

too much bass on those hl2 guns.. if u compare 9mm in hl1 and usp in hl2.. i prefer that nice and clean 9mm.. it was great.. and why the hell they did but tracers in usp.. i think that smg with grenade launcer also didnt need tracers.. css needs tracers not hl2..

:D

now dont be mad at me.. can we have some conversation on this subject plz.. hehe.. never mind..

fear had good guns.. far cry has good guns.. css has good guns, hl1 has good guns.. but hl2 does not have good guns.. yea, thats my point here.. btw that means qtf? :D

Ludah said:
I think that after two decades of living under Combine oppression, you realize that your SMG is of more use than grandpappy's Kraut-Popper.

At further range a hunting rifle would be more effective than the smg. If this really happened you know weapons manufacturers would have setup shop secretly. Producing sniper rifles, chainguns, auto shotguns and scoped auto rifles.

Its been 2 decades since the events in the original? Did Barney and Kleiner find a fountain of youth?

Underhill[FIN] said:
Oh man.. whats this.. smg that had tracers and grenade launcher.. 5 shots to combine.. that sucked.. sound was same all the time.. pistol.. 10 shots to combine.. no power behind that gun at all.. :sleep:
The pulse rifle was powerful enough by my standards, and the pistol is supposed to be weak.

crosbow slow as hell, no power. shotgun=good, headshots were awesome.. mangnum=ok, but didnt have something. gravitygun was cool but not anymore cause its getting boring.. combine smg was ok, but enemies didnt fly long enough when u shot them.. know what i mean?
Wait until the enemy's still until you fire a crossbow, or predict its route and aim accordingly. Gravity gun is still exicting for me, and SMGs are not supposed to be powerful enough to send bodies flying.

too much bass on those hl2 guns.. if u compare 9mm in hl1 and usp in hl2.. i prefer that nice and clean 9mm.. it was great.. and why the hell they did but tracers in usp.. i think that smg with grenade launcer also didnt need tracers.. css needs tracers not hl2..
What more bass? I suggest you buy a subwoofer. And I think tracers look cool.

To be nitpicky, there was about a decade where the portal storms were reaking havoc, and then about a decade after the 7-Hour war when Gordon shows up.
And no, Kleiner and Barney are just old. Presumably 40's for Barney and 60's for Kleiner.

Anyway, I really don't find much to complain about the weapons in HL2 and EP1. The AR2 CAN work at a pretty long range. You just have to use burst shots and go for headshots. Believe me, I've picked off Combine across the Strider Plaza with one. Crossbow and Revolver are interchangable to me, the former having that "entertaining kill" possibility, Instadeath, and less kickback, while the latter doesn't have the travel time and drop rate.

And if you want your SMG's to make sense and be realistic, go play a Tom Clancy game, not a Science Fiction game with giant bugs and physics-bending cannons. Meanwhile, I will be content throwing relatively enormous contact grenades at groups and mowing down the survivors.

But I DO wish we could cook grenades, aside from the skill aquired "GG grenade".

At best, the only thing I feel is "missing" is the Crazy-Powerful-Short-Range-Weapon-With-Scarce-Ammunition.
The discerning Theoretical Physicist knows that, while the shotgun can suffice, thereaputic mass destruction is always better. A Gluon gun remake would be nice, but I think the best way to take advantage of the Source Engine would be a flamethrower.

I just hope it won't kill my FPS.

damn, I wish there'd been at least one or two cool new weapons to play with....
:(

mastapenguin said:
And no, Kleiner and Barney are just old. Presumably 40's for Barney and 60's for Kleiner.

Thats how old they looked in the original.

Hopefully Kleiner was talking about Gluon guns/Tau cannons etc. as part of his "technological advances" of the past decade.

I want to go Ghostbusting in Ep2 with the Gluon gun!

Underhill[FIN] said:
10 shots to combine.. no power behind that gun at all..
Of course it's gonna take 10 shots when your enemy is wearing body armor.

Riiiight...but if you shoot him in the head it goes down to about 2-3 shots. Because his plastic mask stops one or two before the final one makes its way into his brain. :dozey:

Unless it's some kind of...combine...super-plastic! Which it probably is! :| !

thats why you make a .cfg file to change the damages.

Me I make sure that the headshot multiplier is turned up from 3 to 8.

Increase health for morst npcs. Increase damage for all weapons
Make enemy weapons deal the same or similar amounts.
and increae ammo loadouts. 18 shots total for magnum, wtfm8? more like 36 now.

http://rapidshare.de/files/22588941/skill.cfg.html

download mine and adjust it if you wish. Toss it in your cfg folder for halflife 2 or episode 1 and notice the difference

ok ok.. good answers here.. but tell me one thing. Why we cant shoot trough walls? Dont u think it would be cool?

(thanks about that config)

kag30 said:
At further range a hunting rifle would be more effective than the smg.

Perhaps. But I'm guessing that most of the resistance doesn't consist of deer hunters, and such weapons were by and large destroyed or abandoned during the 7-hour war, and if not then, then in the years to pass.

Sure, you could find one of those laying around. But the chances of your enemy carrying one is zilch, and I'm guessing that you're not going to find ammo for it just strewn around City 17. So in the end you either get a useless weapon or an implausible one.

If this really happened you know weapons manufacturers would have setup shop secretly. Producing sniper rifles, chainguns, auto shotguns and scoped auto rifles.

Weapons manufacturers are largely gone. There is no unified "weapon manufacturer" force. Most likely they were beaten into the ground during the 7-hour war and do not exist. The Resistance largely accumulates their weaponry from their battles with the Combine, looting corpses and such, or perhaps thieving from compounds and armories. There are also the endeavors of people like Kleiner and Vance, attempting to make the most from the wreckage.

Its been 2 decades since the events in the original? Did Barney and Kleiner find a fountain of youth?

It's been at least a decade, that is for sure. One or two, take your pick.

And I think many people here are missing an important point: It's a game. Of course you are going to have to suspend your disbelief for a while. While a pistol is more than capable of taking out people with one shot in real life, for all in-game functionality purposes, it's designed to be a weak weapon. After all, it is the first gun you get. Pretty much every action FPS is designed this way.

one would hope they'd fix SLAMs before introducing them into the sp part of the games
unless they fixed them in dm while I wasn't looking

charybdis said:
they have no gun.. spawn them c it for urself:imu:

Back