About the weapons in EP1..

I am aware that they would probably have no weapon in the game because there is no need for them to create the rifle model when we never see it. I am just saying that it seems funny that we kill the sniper and they fall down the building always sans rifle. I bet the first time people killed their first sniper in HL2 they may have looked for his rifle.

Redneck said:
Yeah that's what I meant. I haven't played HL2 DM so I haven't seen them in action. Are they good?

think of them as laser trip mines and sachel charges from HL1 put into one weapon.

Underhill[FIN] said:
i must be only person in planet who thinks that hl2 guns sucked hard.. they felt so lame.. poom poom nothing happens.. and i dunno why but one thing that bothers me is that bullets do not go trough walls, boxes etc.. why is that? would be cool do u guys thing huh?

And i also say that crosbow was lame gun too, i mean when u did shoot with that "weapon" the "bullet"(i dont know what it is) did fly very slow and that sucked.. also pistols, ok mangnum was coo but that basic gun sounded like shit imo.. shotgun was clearly the best weapon in game, it packed a bunch ye! submachineguns where also bad, sounds where the reason why those guns sucked..

dont get angry about this post but i say that hl1 guns where way freaking better!!

when u shoot a gun, u should know that u shoot a gun.. hl2 was great game, but damn, guns sucked hard :D

Peace out..

nothing happens? enemies died, the guns kicked....what else is there to happen? the USP match could have been a bit more detailed on the reload. the slide magically gets racked forward after the mag is inserted with no effort from gordon. also it should be held with two hands. I'm also a believer that the weaps would have been better with iron sights.

I liked the crossbow. It fires pieces of Rebar BTW. how can you not love sticking enemies to the wall? you say you don't like how they dont' sound powerful or real or go through stuff like certain real bullets might. yet you don't appreciate the realism of the crossbow, at least how it flies slower than a bullet and how for the first time in any true FPS you have to think about gravit drop and its effect on the arc and rage of the bolt?

I loved the .357, so fun and rewarding. but come on, they can't have every shot be ear ringing loud like a real gunshot w/out ear protection would be.

Shotty was also my fave along with the .357, though I don't like the 6 shot instead of 8 shot tube. also didn't like only having 30 reserve shells.

My least fave gun was the SMG. It was a nice Idea to use the spanking new MP7 as a base model. but NOT a good idea to give it a magical grenade launcher that fits NOWHERE on the gun, no model for it or anything, and also giving it a 45 round magazine that fits entirely in the grip of the weapon...lol. Not to mention that on the harder setting you have to run up and empty half the mag into the combine to kill.

kag30 said:
Surely some of the insurgents were hunters before the invasion. So obviously a hunting rifle would be totally plausible.
While the presence of antique weapons in City 17 is plausable, the presence of enough ammunition for these guns to routinely feed a character through the game is far less plausable. And then when something is plausable, it doesn't necessarily make it a logical inclusion.

I thought the HL2 arsenal was brilliant and didn't mind seeing it back at all. Again, I would say that the Sniper Rifle was the most plausable new weapon they could have given us... but I also couldn't give two shits. I've played with Sniper-rifles in every other game under the sun. The crossbow is a million times more interesting, and I especially don't care that it requires skill to use.

edit: I also don't care much about realism niggles with the guns in the game. Gun-nuts are to me a very vocal minority who pick out what is wrong with the guns when in practice, 99% of the players of the game won't notice. Plus, is it really too hard to believe that an alien civilization that can subjugate the human race in seven hours can also attach a grenade launcher to a sub-machine gun? Hell, even an invisible one could make sense under those terms.

sin emergence had shooting through walls, that was pretty cool.

It seems kind of weird that thin pieces of sheet metal or wood planks can completely and utterly stop 9mm let alone strider and gunship shots.

It'd be nice if someone made a mod to take sin's bullet penetration code and put it in hl2.

oh by the way, almost forgot. Another change i made was to drop the mag bullet count down to 20 for the mp7. To do that. go to hl2's script file, look for the weapon scripts, and there you can change how many rounds the mags hold. Then go into the episode 1 folder, make a new folder called scripts and copy paste the edited weapon script file.

Oh and here's a fair warning to anyone who uses the file i uploaded. You might want to be careful around snipers and gunships. I made snipers 1 shot kill you and if i remember correctly had the gunships do around 30 dmg per shot.

good points here.. but hl2 guns would look and feel much more powerful if u could shoot trough thin wooden walls.. just eats atmosphere when very very thin wall is bulletbroof, i mean anything is bulletfroof..

Ludah said:
Perhaps. But I'm guessing that most of the resistance doesn't consist of deer hunters, and such weapons were by and large destroyed or abandoned during the 7-hour war, and if not then, then in the years to pass.

Sure, you could find one of those laying around. But the chances of your enemy carrying one is zilch, and I'm guessing that you're not going to find ammo for it just strewn around City 17. So in the end you either get a useless weapon or an implausible one.

Weapons manufacturers are largely gone. There is no unified "weapon manufacturer" force. Most likely they were beaten into the ground during the 7-hour war and do not exist. The Resistance largely accumulates their weaponry from their battles with the Combine, looting corpses and such, or perhaps thieving from compounds and armories. There are also the endeavors of people like Kleiner and Vance, attempting to make the most from the wreckage.

What about that shotgun the preacher had in ravenholm?

Hunting weapons is just 1 example. And like I said a few were probably hunters which is the same thing as saying most werent. I'm not talking about the combine carrying anything besides their weapons (lol) I'm talking about your fallen comrades.

It would be cool to find some random weapon with enough rounds to give you a few minutes worth of combat with and then dump it. I could easily imagine something like that happening in this situation.

If Kleiner can have a lab right under the combines nose and vance right outside the city, developing a uber robot and the gravity gun, then obviously weapon manufacturing can be done.

Dont understand why some people dont want more weapons. Nothing wrong with variety.

Decided to replay ravenholm. Father gregori wasnt using a shotgun. Looked like a hunting rifle to me or maybe a ww2 rifle by its effect at long range. He was taking out zombies from 30 ft away with 1 shot. Upon closer inspection though it looks like a double barrelled shotty except the barrels are aligned vertically instead of the conventional horizontal alignment. He's got a good supply of ammo too. If you told me you wouldnt want some time with that you'd be lying.

It was a hunting rifle (Annabelle) that fires 0.357 rounds(??).

kag30 said:
Decided to replay ravenholm. Father gregori wasnt using a shotgun. Looked like a hunting rifle to me or maybe a ww2 rifle by its effect at long range. He was taking out zombies from 30 ft away with 1 shot. Upon closer inspection though it looks like a double barrelled shotty except the barrels are aligned vertically instead of the conventional horizontal alignment. He's got a good supply of ammo too. If you told me you wouldnt want some time with that you'd be lying.

That would not justify having a bunch of hunting rifles suddenly strewn around City 17. And for all intent and purposes, he was pretty much wielding a shotgun.

The idea of having a weapon (implausibly, I might add) for just a few minutes before having to chuck it is a bad one, if you ask me. And if you look at Kleiner and Eli's labs, you see they're pretty much scavenging their own tech as well as the Combine's, piecing them together MacGuyver-style to work on experimental technology. They're pretty much getting by on bare minimum. There's no way in hell they'd have the resources to start up an underground weapons manufacturer. And that's ignoring the fact that the relative size of such an operation would probably get noticed by the Combine pretty quickly and then crushed.

kag30 said:
If you told me you wouldnt want some time with that you'd be lying.
Yeah, obviously lying. Because everybody love guns!!

i love guns

I think hl2 has a pretty diverse mixup. I don't think the problem is the weapons themselves, but how they behave.

For example. The Cone of fire on the smg and pulse rifle. What would have been nice is if the bullet cone had be reduced and some recoil added in to deal with. This would have allowed you longer ranges if you knew how to compensate for recoil, and fired in short bursts. It would have been more involving that just mashing down the fire button till the enemy was dead.

They really should do something about the pistol, after route kanal it hardly ever gets used ever again. Beef it up a tad I say.

I'd also say to get rid of the nade launcher or at least seperate it from the sub machinegun so that it is its own weapon. It would improve balance methinks.

there's other things but thats a rant for later

Meh... I think that recoil, varying cones of fire, and all that jazz is better suited to other games. HL2 is a straight-up action FPS at its very core. I personally don't want to have to worry about those kinds of things.

Flyingdebris said:
i love guns

I think hl2 has a pretty diverse mixup. I don't think the problem is the weapons themselves, but how they behave.

For example. The Cone of fire on the smg and pulse rifle. What would have been nice is if the bullet cone had be reduced and some recoil added in to deal with. This would have allowed you longer ranges if you knew how to compensate for recoil, and fired in short bursts. It would have been more involving that just mashing down the fire button till the enemy was dead.

They really should do something about the pistol, after route kanal it hardly ever gets used ever again. Beef it up a tad I say.

I'd also say to get rid of the nade launcher or at least seperate it from the sub machinegun so that it is its own weapon. It would improve balance methinks.

there's other things but thats a rant for later

nothign but the truth and the hole truht there my brother :smoking:

Gregori's rifle is a winchester, it uses magnum rounds.

Flyingdebris said:

For example. The Cone of fire on the smg and pulse rifle. What would have been nice is if the bullet cone had be reduced and some recoil added in to deal with.

****in' yes... the thing I love about SMOD is that the crosshair is almost directly connected to the actual weapon aim, and so you have to work to steady your aim. Together with a recoil system that adjusts for crouching/jumping and has an almost CS:S-like cone expansion, it feels very satisfying in combat.

which is why i love smod.

also, nothing like playing with my modifed skill.cfg in congunction with smod while the running the "hard" exec. Red Or Blue combine with shields become like minibosses with the amount of punishment they take.

Mmmm weapons of death are teh sexie!

Underhill[FIN] said:
good points here.. but hl2 guns would look and feel much more powerful if u could shoot trough thin wooden walls.. just eats atmosphere when very very thin wall is bulletbroof, i mean anything is bulletfroof..

I thought that shooting through certain materials was a feature of the Source engine (and therefore, of HL2), and not just SiN Emergence.

Ludah said:
That would not justify having a bunch of hunting rifles suddenly strewn around City 17. And for all intent and purposes, he was pretty much wielding a shotgun.

The idea of having a weapon (implausibly, I might add) for just a few minutes before having to chuck it is a bad one, if you ask me. And if you look at Kleiner and Eli's labs, you see they're pretty much scavenging their own tech as well as the Combine's, piecing them together MacGuyver-style to work on experimental technology. They're pretty much getting by on bare minimum. There's no way in hell they'd have the resources to start up an underground weapons manufacturer. And that's ignoring the fact that the relative size of such an operation would probably get noticed by the Combine pretty quickly and then crushed.

Other characters like Gregori could have their own weapon too. What if they got killed?

If Vance could design an incredibly advanced device like the gravity gun then surely he could design something else that only Gordon uses.

If it took the combine 10 years or more to discover Vance's lab (on the outskirts of town)then obviously they couldnt have possibly known the whereabouts of the various secret weapons manufacturing plants and or storage bunkers strewn across the planet prior to invasion. As well as new manufacturing. Theres plenty of resources and the combine are obviously somewhat inept.

You mention that people need to practice suspension of disbelief, but only when its something you agree with.

A scientist with no combat training who makes rambo pale in comparison is more implausible than anything.

kag30 said:
If it took the combine 10 years or more to discover Vance's lab (on the outskirts of town)then obviously they couldnt have possibly known the whereabouts of the various secret weapons manufacturing plants and or storage bunkers strewn across the planet prior to invasion. As well as new manufacturing. Theres plenty of resources and the combine are obviously somewhat inept.
And why would the majority of the pre-invasion weapons factories and armories have to be secret? There was no need for them to be secret (at least those found in developed nations or those without dictatorships or oligarchies), and thus the Overwatch could have looted all of those facilities years ago and convert them for their own uses. However Black Mesa East wasn't discovered for a long time since it was obviously made to be secret from the eyes of Civil Protection and the rest of the Overwatch. It seems that the Resistance was good at being discreet, and it was only Freeman's arrival that made the Combine deploy enough resources to suddenly find all these Underground Railroad. So I think it was a case of the Overwatch holding back.

Black Op said:
And why would the majority of the pre-invasion weapons factories and armories have to be secret? There was no need for them to be secret (at least those found in developed nations or those without dictatorships or oligarchies), and thus the Overwatch could have looted all of those facilities years ago and convert them for their own uses. However Black Mesa East wasn't discovered for a long time since it was obviously made to be secret from the eyes of Civil Protection and the rest of the Overwatch. It seems that the Resistance was good at being discreet, and it was only Freeman's arrival that made the Combine deploy enough resources to suddenly find all these Underground Railroad. So I think it was a case of the Overwatch holding back.

Where did I say that the majority of the armories were secret? Its just common sense that it would be easier to find Eli's lab than every developed nations complete arsenal.

Common sense would tell you that there are alot of secret bunkers just in case of nuclear war,meteor strike and alien invasion. With all the amenities in those places to keep the human race going. As we speak there are people hired by the government and military living underground just in case.

I think any sophisticated militia would know more about and have the means to be more discreet than anyone.

kag30 said:
Common sense would tell you that there are alot of secret bunkers just in case of nuclear war,meteor strike and alien invasion. With all the amenities in those places to keep the human race going. As we speak there are people hired by the government and military living underground just in case.
Common sense also tells us it would be hard for the Resistance to find these hidden bunkers due to the fact that they are..... secret. Even if they did discover these theoritical bunkers and found all sorts of weapons, the ammunition for those weapons will run out. Judging by the state of the Earth Resistance forces, they have no means to gather the resources to create bullets or unimprovised explosive weapons. All the weapons and ammunition they have are stolen from the Combine, and all the hidden factories and armories in the world would basically be wasted.

There are changes to the sounds when firing the SMG or the Pulse Rifle. The shots sound different when the target is of different distances.

Reginald said:
Because no model exists for it. And in theory we don't need it because we have the Crossbow.

Actually...there is a model. It existed in the beta, aswell as the unattached gauss gun. Maybe they're in store for the future...or some expansion, like Opposing Force.

kag30 said:
You mention that people need to practice suspension of disbelief, but only when its something you agree with.

Having the player collect increasingly powerful weapons makes sense from a gameplay perspective. Your idea makes no sense in terms of gameplay or story-wise.

A scientist with no combat training who makes rambo pale in comparison is more implausible than anything.

Except everything points towards a certain rationale behind this, with Gordon being exceptionally more capable than your average person.

I think you are severely underestimating the size and scope of weapon manufacturing. Simply put, there's no way it could go on undetected because of the sheer resources, manpower, and activity that would go into it and consequently give it away. The gravity gun was a single experimental weapon, not something in mass production. Even then, it wasn't even considered something of use in combat until you got your hands on it.

kag30 said:
Where did I say that the majority of the armories were secret? Its just common sense that it would be easier to find Eli's lab than every developed nations complete arsenal.

Because, of course, the entire world's arsenal is at Gordon's disposal at a single location on the planet.

As we speak there are people hired by the government and military living underground just in case.

There are no governments. If there are, there's nothing to suggest they are tied to the resistance in City 17. So even if there are secret weapons manufacturing locations on post-invasion Earth, there's no reason to think any of them would exist in or around a stronghold such as City 17.

In the end, there was no reason for Gordon to suddenly run into new weapons during his exit of City 17. If he is to acquire a new arsenal, it would have to be elsewhere. Episode 2 qualifies for this.

charybdis said:
How come every time we kill a combine sniper his gun doesn't happen to fall our way like his body?

It is also plausible that the sniper guns are on fixed mounts like the machine guns at combine barricades. They don't fall out because the user is not acutally carrying it as a seperate weapon, and you would need to take the rest of the wall (or whatever it is attached to) with it to carry along.

Black Op said:
Common sense also tells us it would be hard for the Resistance to find these hidden bunkers due to the fact that they are..... secret. Even if they did discover these theoritical bunkers and found all sorts of weapons, the ammunition for those weapons will run out. Judging by the state of the Earth Resistance forces, they have no means to gather the resources to create bullets or unimprovised explosive weapons. All the weapons and ammunition they have are stolen from the Combine, and all the hidden factories and armories in the world would basically be wasted.

Who would know about these bunkers? People who would side with the resistance.

All developed nations would be on high alert after reports from military about aliens at black mesa. Knowing we'd probably get our ass kicked many would hide in these locations until the dust settles.

Lots of debris to be salvaged

kag30 said:
Who would know about these bunkers? People who would side with the resistance.
That's assuming all these bunkers even exist before the Incident. Due to the state of humanity during the Portal Storms as explained below, they would not be created out in the middle of nowhere.

All developed nations would be on high alert after reports from military about aliens at black mesa. Knowing we'd probably get our ass kicked many would hide in these locations until the dust settles.
Actually the Portal Storms encouraged most of humanity to group together in the cities. It should be obvious that the vast majority of what remained of the Earth's military forces would be reassigned to the cities to defend civilians. Quite ideal conditions to wipe out all opposition within seven hours if they're all concentrated.

I'm not even sure why we're debating this since the main point of argument is if big caches of outdated weapons would be useful? Without a way to create ammo, they'd be useless to the Resistance by the time Freeman showed up.

Ludah said:
Having the player collect increasingly powerful weapons makes sense from a gameplay perspective. Your idea makes no sense in terms of gameplay or story-wise.

Except everything points towards a certain rationale behind this, with Gordon being exceptionally more capable than your average person.

I think you are severely underestimating the size and scope of weapon manufacturing. Simply put, there's no way it could go on undetected because of the sheer resources, manpower, and activity that would go into it and consequently give it away. The gravity gun was a single experimental weapon, not something in mass production. Even then, it wasn't even considered something of use in combat until you got your hands on it.

Because, of course, the entire world's arsenal is at Gordon's disposal at a single location on the planet.

There are no governments. If there are, there's nothing to suggest they are tied to the resistance in City 17. So even if there are secret weapons manufacturing locations on post-invasion Earth, there's no reason to think any of them would exist in or around a stronghold such as City 17.

In the end, there was no reason for Gordon to suddenly run into new weapons during his exit of City 17. If he is to acquire a new arsenal, it would have to be elsewhere. Episode 2 qualifies for this.

It wouldnt make sense if for instance Gregori had died and you got his rifle?

More capable is one thing. Taking out squad after squad of special forces in HL1 is another. Weapons production is close to impossible, what gordon does is impossible. Fanboys dont see things clearly though.

It wouldnt be impossible to find a non combine weapon on the battlefield.

Its good to understand what you read. Nowhere did i state that govt's existed post invasion.

Running into new weapons makes sense gameplay and storywise just as much as finding increasingly more powerful weapons.

Black Op said:
Actually the Portal Storms encouraged most of humanity to group together in the cities. It should be obvious that the vast majority of what remained of the Earth's military forces would be reassigned to the cities to defend civilians. Quite ideal conditions to wipe out all opposition within seven hours if they're all concentrated.

I'm not even sure why we're debating this since the main point of argument is if big caches of outdated weapons would be useful? Without a way to create ammo, they'd be useless to the Resistance by the time Freeman showed up.

You think the military would just send everyone out to fight a war they cant win? Many would seek shelter and get their ducks in a row.

You ever see that revolutionary war film with mel gibson? He made his own ammo and it didnt come across as ridiculous like something you might see in transporter 2.

kag30 said:
It wouldnt make sense if for instance Gregori had died and you got his rifle?
It wouldn't make sense if you found ammo for an unique weapon scattered throughout City 17 and its environs. So wny bother with taking Grigori's rifle?

More capable is one thing. Taking out squad after squad of special forces in HL1 is another. Weapons production is close to impossible, what gordon does is impossible. Fanboys dont see things clearly though.
Freeman's exploits are necessary for the gameplay and story to work. Secret mass-production of weapons however is not necessary, so it's best to stick with the side of realism. That is, the Resistance would be constantly raiding Overwatch armories and looting dead bodies in order to survive. Hell, it'd be more realistic to have Citizen Frohman purchase weapons for the Resistance than for all these secret factories. :LOL:

It wouldnt be impossible to find a non combine weapon on the battlefield.
It would practically be impossible to find a suitable amount of ammo for non-Overwatch weapons.

Running into new weapons makes sense gameplay and storywise just as much as finding increasingly more powerful weapons.
New weapons only make sense if the ammo for them exist. The Overwatch has control of all firearm factories and ammunition depots. Therefore they dictate what weapons the Resistance can use, not some abandoned hunting rifle cache. All the Resistance can manage to create themselves are exotic weapons like the crossbow and Tau Cannon, weapons that won't be in great supply to the rank and file.

kag30 said:
You think the military would just send everyone out to fight a war they cant win? Many would seek shelter and get their ducks in a row.
What the Hell are you talking about? Humanity took shelter in the cities as stated in 'Raising The Bar'. This would include as much military forces as possible. Therefore this makes the concept of a Seven Hours War much more plausible. Which by the way, DID happen and resulted in the takeover of Earth by the Universial Union.

You ever see that revolutionary war film with mel gibson? He made his own ammo and it didnt come across as ridiculous like something you might see in transporter 2.
No, and Hollywood should NEVER be counted upon to portray total realism.

Black Op said:
It wouldn't make sense if you found ammo for an unique weapon scattered throughout City 17 and its environs. So wny bother with taking Grigori's rifle?

New weapons only make sense if the ammo for them exist. The Overwatch has control of all firearm factories and ammunition depots. Therefore they dictate what weapons the Resistance can use, not some abandoned hunting rifle cache. All the Resistance can manage to create themselves are exotic weapons like the crossbow and Tau Cannon, weapons that won't be in great supply to the rank and file.

What the Hell are you talking about? Humanity took shelter in the cities as stated in 'Raising The Bar'. This would include as much military forces as possible. Therefore this makes the concept of a Seven Hours War much more plausible. Which by the way, DID happen and resulted in the takeover of Earth by the Universial Union.

No, and Hollywood should NEVER be counted upon to portray total realism.

Like i said in an earlier post, i'm not talking about perm weapons. Find a weapon, use it for a few minutes worth of combat and dump it.

Everyone breathes air, eats food, sleeps defecates and urinates. Those are the only things everyone does.

Films are more realistic than games. Did anyone walk over a health pack in the doom movie and get magically healed? No. You cant get away with an extreme level of unrealism like that in a movie.

I already played a 15 hr game with these same weapons. At least give us 1 new gun.

kag30 said:
Like i said in an earlier post, i'm not talking about perm weapons. Find a weapon, use it for a few minutes worth of combat and dump it.
That's a mechanic that does not fit with HL gameplay. Any weapons found should be able to be used throughout the rest of the game. What successful developers in their right mind would spend time and effort on weapons that would be used only once? I know VALVe won't so you might as well forget it.

Everyone breathes air, eats food, sleeps defecates and urinates. Those are the only things everyone does.
Many of those things would slow down the game pacing if they were included. Useless examples.

Films are more realistic than games. Did anyone walk over a health pack in the doom movie and get magically healed? No. You cant get away with an extreme level of unrealism like that in a movie.
That's a bloody gameplay mechanic. Secret weapon factories are storyline details instead. Learn the difference, as there's less room for unbelievability for continuity issues.

I already played a 15 hr game with these same weapons. At least give us 1 new gun.
When it's the right time implimented in the right way. One-time weapons are NOT the solution at all.

Black Op said:
That's a mechanic that does not fit with HL gameplay. Any weapons found should be able to be used throughout the rest of the game. What successful developers in their right mind would spend time and effort on weapons that would be used only once? I know VALVe won't so you might as well forget it.

Many of those things would slow down the game pacing if they were included. Useless examples.

That's a bloody gameplay mechanic. Secret weapon factories are storyline details instead. Learn the difference, as there's less room for unbelievability for continuity issues.

When it's the right time implimented in the right way. One-time weapons are NOT the solution at all.

Like in my prev post I reply to each statement in order.

Adding a drop weapon key would do the trick and add another facet to the game. Your right though, adding say 4 more weapons would be such a drain on time and resources that Valve would go out of business. :LOL:

You said humanity sought shelter in cities as if it was every single person. So I stated the only things that everyone does.

I've heard people say not to use films as comparison. They meant in relation to real life. Not another medium of entertainment. Learn the difference.

Its perfectly normal for things not to happen in the right way or at the right time.

kag30 said:
Adding a drop weapon key would do the trick and add another facet to the game. Your right though, adding say 4 more weapons would be such a drain on time and resources that Valve would go out of business. :LOL:
Still is a waste no matter what. In the end it'll only be a useless gimmick as the player would be enouraged to just use standard weapons. If there are going to be new weapons, VALVe would have the ability to make new designs themselves that would be used throughout the entire game or episode. That makes much more gameplay sense than having real-life weapons just for the Hell of it.

You said humanity sought shelter in cities as if it was every single person. So I stated the only things that everyone does.
I don't care at all. Unless you can prove that the mass majority of the human race never went into the cities during the Portal Storms, you might as well shut up.

I've heard people say not to use films as comparison. They meant in relation to real life. Not another medium of entertainment. Learn the difference.
Even you should know that gameplay mechanics don't exist out of video games. However storyline gripes will always be unacceptable no matter if it involves a game or a movie.

Its perfectly normal for things not to happen in the right way or at the right time.
Yet people whine when something is not done as they would have liked it. Just take a look at any EP1 complaint and you'll see that fact for yourself.

There is not really enough flexability in Valve's level design to provide a need for droppable weapons like in FarCry, where they really provide many different styles of play. Admittidly I do wish that I could select which weapons I had on me at any one time given that I dont like constantly having to switch through all 10 of them to get to the one 1 want :/

Black Op said:
Still is a waste no matter what. In the end it'll only be a useless gimmick as the player would be enouraged to just use standard weapons. If there are going to be new weapons, VALVe would have the ability to make new designs themselves that would be used throughout the entire game or episode. That makes much more gameplay sense than having real-life weapons just for the Hell of it.

I don't care at all. Unless you can prove that the mass majority of the human race never went into the cities during the Portal Storms, you might as well shut up.

Even you should know that gameplay mechanics don't exist out of video games. However storyline gripes will always be unacceptable no matter if it involves a game or a movie.

Yet people whine when something is not done as they would have liked it. Just take a look at any EP1 complaint and you'll see that fact for yourself.

Why would the player be encouraged to not use the weapon?

You sure do twist words. I never said the mass majority didnt go. Just not everyone. Name anytime a massive group of citizens all did what they were told.

My original film comparison was about ammo production which isnt a gameplay mechanic. Instead of thinking about it and realizing that if it can work in a film it can work in a game, you simply spouted a pre-programmed response.

I think ep1 is great. I would have enjoyed it even more with some new weapons. Theres no need for some grand introduction. Some say it wouldnt have worked to add new weapons in ep1. There was a new enemy out of nowhere and it worked fine.

Just like you found the crossbow lying there on the side of the road in HL2you could have just found a new weapon lying somewhere in ep1.

Hyperion2010 said:
Admittidly I do wish that I could select which weapons I had on me at any one time given that I dont like constantly having to switch through all 10 of them to get to the one 1 want :/

I think the weapon selection method is fine. Hit the button once for shotgun or twice for crossbow. Better than having to bind twice as many buttons.

kag30 said:
Why would the player be encouraged to not use the weapon?
Because ammo for other guns are more plentiful than those where the ammo won't last for very long. And just what niche will these theortical weapons fill that are not covered up by all the existing weapons? They won't since the HL2 weapon selection is well-balanced at this stage. Finally, all HL2 weapons are basically generic in that there's only one weapon used for one purpose. There's a melee weapon, gravity gun, pea-shooter pistol, magnum, SMG, AR, long-range crossbow, RPG, and grenades. Only one weapon for each role is needed, so having all these scattered weapons only clogs up the weapon selection needlessly. All sorts of weapon variants belong in tactical and military shooters.

You sure do twist words. I never said the mass majority didnt go. Just not everyone. Name anytime a massive group of citizens all did what they were told.
That point is irrelevant. It's been so long since the Combine invasion that most people who were not a Resistance member is most likely dead by now either from irate wildlife or the Overwatch. There's no proof that these civilians that never went into the cities had any sort of military protection. Finally with the surrender of Earth to the Universial Union, any military forces left outside the cities might have very well surrendered since it would seem hopeless to take on such an advanced enemy. All these fabled stockpiles would have been turned over to the Overwatch in that scenario.

My original film comparison was about ammo production which isnt a gameplay mechanic. Instead of thinking about it and realizing that if it can work in a film it can work in a game, you simply spouted a pre-programmed response.
Ammo production doesn't need to work in HL because current HL2 game mechanics don't call for it at all. Why need ammo production when you can get ammo from Combine crates and bodies? As there's no need for pre-invasion Earth weapons to be lying around, this point is also irrevelent. Finally, it's common sense to be distrustful of Hollywood reality and not a mere pre-programed response to act on such common sense.

I think ep1 is great. I would have enjoyed it even more with some new weapons. Theres no need for some grand introduction. Some say it wouldnt have worked to add new weapons in ep1. There was a new enemy out of nowhere and it worked fine.
Zombines made sense because both Headcrabs and Combine already existed. That wouldn't work with weapons because neither the Overwatch nor the Resistance had the means to suddenly conjure up new weapons in the hours between HL2 and EP1. Since EP1 is a storyline continuation rather than an expansion pack, logic take precedence of adding new content.

Just like you found the crossbow lying there on the side of the road in HL2you could have just found a new weapon lying somewhere in ep1.
Except there was room to develop what weapons were in the HL2 universe. This isn't possible with EP1 since the only weapons that would be encountered are those already brought in by either of the two factions.

Back