Adam Foster's Minerva Returns + Video [Update: Released!]

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
Tomorrow will see the highly acclaimed Half-life 2 Episode 1 mod, Minerva officially appear on Steam. Adam Foster, the creator of Minerva, was hired by Valve shortly after releasing the mod to critical acclaim back in 2007.

With the help (and nagging) of his colleagues at Valve, Adam is re-releasing Minerva as a Director's Cut edition with "tweaked visuals, bug fixes, better puzzles and all kinds of subtle improvements. Nothing majorly new, just old stuff tidied and polished for this re-release."

Expect the usual single-player shooting and puzzles, a healthy dose of mystery and plenty of on-screen dialogue from the unseen Minerva, who guides (and insults) you on your journey through a vast Combine underground facility.

If you haven't played it before it's certainly up to Valve-quality in terms of the Half-life experience. We've been fortunate enough to get early access to the re-release, which you can find our thoughts on in our full video review!

UPDATE: Minerva is now live and available for all to play for free on Steam!

It'd be so cool if Valve were somehow using this as the first step in a new Half-Life ARG.

One of my all time favourite mods, and part of my own personal head canon!

Really glad to see this get a steam release.

Well, I know what I'll be doing for the rest of the afternoon. ;)

For some reason, it won't let me install the mod. So strange.

For some reason, it won't let me install the mod. So strange.

I had that problem but restarting Steam seemed to solve it. Also, make sure you have run Episode 1 at least once since you last installed it.

Back