Adrian Shepherd return?

hl3 shepard return

hey guys, just want to say adrian shepard should make a comeback into an expansion pack from hl2 ep3, the gman should some how be involved in bringing him back from the place he was origanally put at the end of opposing force and placed into the game as a combine and throughout the exp pack go rouge and join forces with the resistance to help fight the combine............. and bring an end to the massacre that has been over all the awsome episodes of halflife so far it would be a good ending episode not to say cut gordon out of it but as an exp pack it would be good to see.

cheers guys

In my opinion our friend Sheppy was a brilliant one off character and nothing more. If he ever makes a return it will seem really tacky and will not make a lick of sense.

It will make even less sense if the G-man sends him after Freeman or some shit like people keep saying would be "cool". Shephard never ever received his orders to kill the Black Mesa staff or Freeman because in the intro his CO fell out of the osprey before he could finish telling you.

And your whole plot for Shephard makes even less sense as Nova Prospekt , the main facility for creating new combine soldiers was destroyed , the citadel (which at the very least had some part in creating the soldiers as some without armour on can be seen hooked up to machines there in Ep1) was also destroyed (this is not counting the other cities citadels , if they still exist). Not only this but it has been shown through the combine announcer that soldiers first have to become CPs and gradually gain more treatment before they can finally move on to the full "combine treatment" which means that Shephard would have to become some random CP in a different city before he can even become a soldier. And on top of all this I speculate it is impossible for a combine soldier to go rogue due to the amount of psychological treatment they undergo i.e brainwashing.

I've never understood people's facination with Adrian Sheppard. I really don't. I admit, that it's likely due to the fact that I've never played Opossing Force, but I still wonder what his fans think Adrian will do. How is he suppose to affect the plot at all? From what I understood, Adrian Sheppard was much like Gordon, two hands with a gun. Even if Valve were to go ahead and give him a actual personality and identity (much like they did to Barney from Blue Shift) even so he won't be anywhere near as "awesome" as he was in OF, because he will no longer be a PC but a NPC. Unless he becomes a sidekick like Alyx, your not going to see much from him. What's so drawing about him? The fact he was part of the "bad guys"?

Are you kidding? Grunts were cooler than Combine in every way.

Are you kidding? Grunts were cooler than Combine in every way.

I agree with this , the way they used to graffiti the walls of the Black Mesa tunnel network , the way they used to rappel all cool like from their ospreys and especially the way you could crowbar their face into the back of their head and they would just shout "that all you got!?" and proceed to kick you square in the nut sack.

Two hands with a gun, exactly. Gordon is just that, but he still has about fifteen times as much charisma as Marcus Fenix and Master Chief. Pulling that off requires a monopoly on his character-type, which is why Adrian is dead and Half-Life 2 has no spin-offs. Sure, Chell never talks, but she has no one to talk to.

I really like Shepard mainly because I like the way his story unfolded in Opposing Force. His osprey was shot down making for a very cool opening sequence, watching as your unit leaves you stranded, and learning that the black ops were the last resort of the government to end the Black Mesa Incident. Plus, like Gordon he isn't particularly special in his job field though he does(like Gordon) have impressive credentials. He is merely a corporal, which is the lowest rank that has any real authority to it. He can order around privates, private-first classes, and lance corporals and that's about it.

I really like Shepard mainly because I like the way his story unfolded in Opposing Force. His helicopter was shot down making for a very cool opening sequence, watching as your unit leaves you stranded, and learning that the black ops were the last resort of the government to end the Black Mesa Incident.

This was the part I liked most about him. He seemed a lot more helpless than Gordon simply because Gordon had a set mission (to join up with the lambda team and stop the cascade) but Shephard was lost , confused and largely without support all the while facing terrible odds and he was just trying to get out , not be a hero. Plus in my opinion his ending was a lot more heart wrenching because there he was , fighting through all of these specially trained killers , inter dimensional monsters , even bigger inter dimensional monsters and finally the biggest inter dimensional monster (which , may I add he stopped from tearing the planet asunder while Freeman only had to stop one that was threatening to send yet more inter dimentional monsters) and all of the sudden he is plucked out by the G-man and forgotten about. I mean , no one even knows the kind of terrors he stopped the planet from experiencing (the general destruction of the planet , mostly) while everybody adores Freeman. Shephard was awesome , but a special kind of one off awesome that can never be replicated , even by himself.

This was the part I liked most about him. He seemed a lot more helpless than Gordon simply because Gordon had a set mission (to join up with the lambda team and stop the cascade) but Shephard was lost , confused and largely without support all the while facing terrible odds and he was just trying to get out , not be a hero. Plus in my opinion his ending was a lot more heart wrenching because there he was , fighting through all of these specially trained killers , inter dimensional monsters , even bigger inter dimensional monsters and finally the biggest inter dimensional monster (which , may I add he stopped from tearing the planet asunder while Freeman only had to stop one that was threatening to send yet more inter dimentional monsters) and all of the sudden he is plucked out by the G-man and forgotten about. I mean , no one even knows the kind of terrors he stopped the planet from experiencing (the general destruction of the planet , mostly) while everybody adores Freeman. Shephard was awesome , but a special kind of one off awesome that can never replicated , even by himself.

I think I see a bit more of the reason now, and, as I suspected, it was because I was unfamiliar with the plotline and story of OF. But still, you admit yourself that Adrain Sheppard wouldn't be able to replicate the feats he did in the game, so how effective will he be as a addition to Half Life? After all, as I said, he'll be a NPC, someone you only see at short intervals unless he ends up being a constant companion. Also, if he ever ends up fighting, it'll be in a scripted battle much like the one between D0G and the Strider, so then you'll only see a glimpse of his "awesomeness" instead of a constant stream of it. Overall, I think that most Adrian Sheppard fans will simply be dissapointed with his appearance should he ever be incorporated. But that's just my take on it.

Well in my opinion he would be as much use to the half life series now as a gasoline soaked rag would be at putting out a fire. It would only anger fans on both sides and to be honest he would make for a crap character as we do not even know what he looks like. That anonymous status is also (and perhaps ironically) what made him as cool as he was imo because his gas mask made him identical to most other HECU marines sent into Black Mesa and furthur increased the sense that he was not special like freeman was he was just an unlucky chump sent in to clean up a mess that was far greater than any of the marines sent in had expected , and a few times he should have died like the rest , however the G-man saved him.

When I opened to the first page, right beside the post date of the OP it said 'old'.

Quoi?

Jesus ****ing Christ. I can't believe I read through all twenty five pages of this shit.

Alright, I realise that the main argument of this is dead judging that it occured a few years ago but I just want to simply say, VALVe have said that they'd like to bring back Shephard, right? (I know it's not an extremely credible source but there are citations on the Wikipedia page even)

Now wouldn't a simple port of the Blue Shift and Opposing Force games to the Source engine warrant him saying bringing back Adrian as well? I mean it's a simple answer to give both damn sides a decent outcome. All the fans can play as their little GAAAAYDRIAAAAAN again and all the guys who seem to lack an imagination can be happy they haven't brought him into a world he doesn't belong in. Gearbox games may not be completely canon - at least they are until said otherwise race x not included - but parts of them are used in HL2 and are considered canon, like the explosion at the end of OpForce. What's to say they don't get remade by VALVe just like Half-Life did?

Also "May one day return" does not mean in the near future, at least the closed space for HL2 and the three episodes (or is it four?) that will be featured for it. I really don't care if they bring him back or not but some of the comments on this specific thread are absolutely ridiculous, seriously.

Of course he has no place in the Half-Life 2 storyline (though I could be wrong with that one judging ep 3 isn't out, it'd be the ultimate and weirdest plot twist but hey) but what about some time down the track? I mean a franchise as big as Half-Life they won't exactly cut it off after just the second one and if they do they'll make more spin-offs, (This is what's supposedly happening with Halo right now is it not?) which in turn would even give more reason to "bring him back" in some zany adventure where Race X is really the Combine and the gene worm was really an advisor with polio that he has to take care of. What's to say that they might not bring him back later on after HL2 or never at all? What's to say they don't make a simulation game where you're playing Gordon while he's a college freshman and you need to find a job and affordable housing? Adrian could be some squeaky voiced teen working in McDonalds. Compared to some of the theories spouted here mine sound like something that would win a Phillip K Dick award.

Furthur increased the sense that he was not special like freeman was he was just an unlucky chump sent in to clean up a mess that was far greater than any of the marines sent in had expected

Yes because a theoretical physicist being teleported to an alien world and proceeding to have all kinds of crap beaten out of him then beating all kinds of crap out of them makes him far more special.

The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world.

For myself, I'd say they were both thrown up shit creek without a paddle, they both just managed to remove parts of the boat create a crowbar or wrench and beat things with it while the boat slowly rocked back and forth nevertheless reaching it's intended destination.

I'm done for now QQ

Jesus ****ing Christ. I can't believe I read through all twenty five pages of this shit.
Neither can we.

Let this die already. There is nothing to be said about this 'debate' that hasn't been said already. Except perhaps that it is creeping up on the full decade since this 'character' was last touched and three whole years since anyone at Valve mentioned him in an email, on the sly. We were talking about this even before this thread began. That's half a decade of debating about something that only Valve can actually answer for us, and have declined to solve.

Shepherd returning would be like Chuck Norris' appearance in Dodgeball. An absurdly pivotal 'WTF?!?'

It would only be palatable if accompanied by a LOST/Mass Effect joke.

Shepherd returning would be like Chuck Norris' appearance in Dodgeball. An absurdly pivotal 'WTF?!?'

It would only be palatable if accompanied by a LOST/Mass Effect joke.

Chuck Norris in anything is a 'WTF?!?'.

"Chuck Norris once punched a guy so hard a baby Norris popped out of the guy's stomach."

ah go on Samon - i know you'd love some hardcore shephard lovin' ;)

by the same argument - what did Gordon achieve - a phyrric victory that destroyed earth
Shephard he prevented the Race X (Combine? will we ever know?) invasion - props for that

Plus Opposing Force was far more combat orientated than exploration orientated halflife - yin and yang

I like the idea of Shepherd, as a character, brining out other aspects of the Half-Life universe; a bit of a foil for the constant Gordan Freeman.

Gearbox may have gone a bit wonky with the polt, but they did make a few interesting turns in character design (though, perhaps unintentionally). Here's what I mean:

Freeman is always about the exploration and puzzle-solving elements of the world. Aside from the Nihilanth boss battle, Freeman is always going over, around, under, and through obstacles, reestablishing infrastructure and inventing new ways to solve problems that a lesser action hero would only shoot at. He is firmly on the side of the Black Mesa team and uses that scientific approach of discovery and invention to save the world.

Now, take Corporal Shepherd on the other hand: Shepherd starts out as a flat, 2-Dimensional military grunt. By the end of the story, however, he's a defector with conflicted interests. The story arc of Ardian Shepherd has the recurrent theme of EMPATHY. He emphathises with his squad mates first, then the scientists that he's supposed to kill, and (eventually) with some of the Xen creatures themselves and even Race X by way of all that symbiotic weaponry (Hivehand, Shockroach, Spore Launcher [actually a shock trooper larvae :) ], the Barnacle grapple!, and let's not forget those Snarks). Sure, Gordon used some of those biotic weapons, but only a couple and only in HL1.

Now, we know that the G Man has got both of these guys built up as assets of some kind. He's like a handler for them, as if they were agents. He talks about contracts and "empolyment." Gordon, he's obviously selected earlier, but Shepherd seems to have been "perserved" based strictly on his ability to survive and adapt. A defector, a traitor we might say, pulled from the storm. And what got him there? Empahy, dear friends.

So, both Gordan and Shepherd have been preserved based on their merits. They're both "right men" in the "wrong place," but their character arcs have greatly divergent themes. Whereas Gordon Freemen becomes an action hero because of his abilities to outwit and sort of pull himself up by the bootstraps, Adrian Shepherd more or less begins that way, as the autonomous survivalist, and becomes an action hero based on his ability to trust the unknown. Interesting twist, eh? Well, it's one that I certainly like.

If for no other reason, I think it would be nice to see another Shepherd game from Valve. I'd be insistent, however, that Shepherd rely more on messy, biological interactions than hard scientific reason.

hi guys i'm new to the community,Corporal Adrian Shephard is my favourite character among those left in the Half Life Franchise and i think he's got his own how shall i say it road to follow in the storyline,some of you said there is no purpose for bringing him back but there is..so what if the Hazardous Environmental Combat Unit (HECU) isn't anymore?,(but how can you tell that either they are all dead or turned into Overwatch soldiers? i mean maybe some of them are rebels working with the Resistance or they still exist operating under another name working against the Combine..you can't really tell untill Valve can give us more info..) so what if he's got a gas mask on his face? (he was fully equiped and prepared to handle and prepare "for the worst" "be prepared in case it happens tommorow" if that's what bothers some of you right here,the fact that you never saw his face,it bothers me too that Gordon Freeman doesn't talk and we still don't know if he's mute or something like that..i mean don't forget C.Adrian Shephard wrote in his jurnal just before the BMI happened so he's more "advanced let's say in the 'speaking chapter" even thought he wrote it down on a piece of paper"so he's part of the storyline just like the other characters are..what was was(refering to the BMI)now he'll probably be working with gordon and the resistance against the combine,unless the G-Man has something else upon his sleeve. :)

I really would like Shepard in the upcoming Half Life games, but I'm still not sure how they would incorporate him in. I'm still unsure if I would want to play as Shepard or see him as an NPC.

Man it's strange seeing your posts from 2006.

But yeah, go Shephard! I think there is ways of bringing him back without making it shitty.

I just really wish that Valve would decide if these expansions are canon or not. It's been up in the air for over a decade now.

They are obviously cannon. Don't fill your football head with fan-made theories.

yeah they are actually "canon" i mean they share it with gearbox right?..so what? i bet you a cold beer that A.Shephard will be back and they will have a need for him one day when the fans aren't expecting so much that's when he'll appear..

They are obviously cannon. Don't fill your football head with fan-made theories.

If you guys say so...

Adrian Shepard and the G-Man's role in Opposing Force is still the most baffling part of the Half-Life series to me.

And pay no attention to the unibrowed bully's name calling. Arnold's head is an unfortunate genetic deformity from being born and raised in such a polluted city.

GMan's role (inc. his dialogue) in Opposing Force was written by Laidlaw, hope this helps. Shephard was simply another lost soul, found himself in the center of a crazy war.

I had no idea Laidlaw was that involved with Opposing Force. I always thought he just told Gearbox that Black Mesa needed to blow up. But if he wrote the dialogue too, than that pretty much confirms that its plot is valid.

Shephard was simply another lost soul, found himself in the center of a crazy war.

But if I remember correctly though, the G-Man had taken an interest into Shepard long before the Black Mesa incident. I think it was someone here who suggested that he was the "employers" original candidate until they saw Freeman in action.

I had no idea Laidlaw was that involved with Opposing Force. I always thought he just told Gearbox that Black Mesa needed to blow up. But if he wrote the dialogue too, than that pretty much confirms that its plot is valid.

There's more involvement than that. Keep in mind, Laidlaw is a writer, not a designer. You shouldn't really take his opinions seriously.

But if I remember correctly though, the G-Man had taken an interest into Shepard long before the Black Mesa incident. I think it was someone here who suggested that he was the "employers" original candidate until they saw Freeman in action.

Yes, that is correct. GMan, originally wanted to hire Shephard for his unknown purposes, but instead, he went with Freeman, because he was far more successful at his mission. IIRC, there is a mention of this on the strategy guide, comparing both characters side by side.

Basically, G-Man hired Gordon to set-up the events leading to the combine invasion. He hired Adrian in order to clean up the Race-X collateral damage so that the long-term scheme involving the downfall of the Combine wouldn't be compromised by an outside force.

Uh no. You can't really say that. Gordon was a low-level worker at Black Mesa before the incident.

Actually G-Man had an interest in A.Shephard long before the BMI had occured,don't forget that,at the training he's drill instructor says to him ("What's your name dirtbag? Shephard is it?,it seems your name was misteriously bumped at the top of the advanced section") so when you exit the building you see a drill instructor and a grunt doing push ups,and if you look up you can see G-Man talking to your Squad Leader i think he's the same guy that fell out of the V-22 Osprey codename aka Goose 7.
So maybe G-Man is holding A.Shephard under stasis and will use him in case he loses control over Freeman or too help Freeman fight the Combine in they're Homeworld or eliberate the other city's around dunno we shall see,but one thing is for certain..He will return one day ,we just have too have patience..:D

He will return one day ,we just have too have patience..:D

Considering it's not going to happen before Episode Three, on what sort of scale are you talking about when you say 'patience'? Patience like waiting for dinner, patience like waiting for an economy to climb, or patience like waiting for the Rapture?

Considering it's not going to happen before Episode Three, on what sort of scale are you talking about when you say 'patience'? Patience like waiting for dinner, patience like waiting for an economy to climb, or patience like waiting for the Rapture?

Well if i have to choose i choose waiting for an economy to climb,you must understand that Valve can't introduce A.Shephard in right now because at the end of OF they specifically told us or they gave us a hint that Corporal A.Shephard is detained "to a place where he can't do no harm and no harm can possibly come to him" so tell me why did G-Man put A.Shephard under stasis for what reason? he could have actually let him to die in that nuclear explosion and that was the end of him,not to mention that the G-Man saved his life..twice (first time when he opens the door for him and the room fills with acid,second time : when he gets him away in that V-22 Osprey far from BM and the explosion) so my guess is he will have to use Shephard..:bounce::sniper:

gman said he would be put where he could cause no harm and no harm could come to him what if he escaped the "place" gman put him

gman said he would be put where he could cause no harm and no harm could come to him what if he escaped the "place" gman put him

well yeah i really think he's in stasis if he weren't i'm sure Valve would make another story of him trying to escape..

Back