After watching the Source demo again...

SubKamran

Reaction score
After watching it again, I have a hard time comprehending how some people think it's going to look bad. That is the most realistic looking video I've ever seen.

Even without HDR, it looks amazing. The textures are sharp, everything looks real. So why are people complaining and wondering if the game is gonna look like those sucky screens? It's like, "Uh? Hey Einstein, you think Valve would spend 5 years on a game that looks worse than Morrowind? Jeebus."

I just can't understand it. These people aren't idiots, they're smart guys and gals.

SubKamran said:
After watching it again, I have a hard time comprehending how some people think it's going to look bad. That is the most realistic looking video I've ever seen.

Even without HDR, it looks amazing. The textures are sharp, everything looks real. So why are people complaining and wondering if the game is gonna look like those sucky screens? It's like, "Uh? Hey Einstein, you think Valve would spend 5 years on a game that looks worse than Morrowind? Jeebus."

I just can't understand it. These people aren't idiots, they're smart guys and gals.
dude, morrowind is beatifull... sure, the models are very bad, but...MODS fix that very very well (thinks better bodies) ^^

EDIT- plus, hl2 doesnt look all that realistic...not anymore at least.. i'll risk it and say STALKER looks btter

VERY well said Sub. 5 years of development, more than any other company ever spent on a game, and people think, especially a company like Valve, would release anything short of amazing? Hell Ion Storm could even make an amazing game given 5 years to produce it :p, but this is Valve we're talking about here. I wouldn't be surprised if the graphics are even more mind blowing when it's released. Do you honestly think Valve gave away everything? Greg said it himself, there's engine surprises. So not even the game itself, there's shit about the engine we don't know. It's going to blow us all away, so stop worrying.

Neutrino said:
Your wrong. It's going to look like crap. ; ) j/k
even if it will look look crap, it's still hl material, and that alone should be enought for an enjoyable experience

Tarkus I think he was using sarcasm.

Tarkus said:
even if it will look lik crap, it's still hl material, and that alone should be anought for an enjoyable experience

:LOL:

Heh, you even quoted me too. Didn't you look at the quote?

guinny said:
Tarkus I think he was using sarcasm.
so what?? i see too many people worrying about how good/bad the game will look?? i stick to my statement

Tarkus said:
dude, morrowind is beatifull... sure, the models are very bad, but...MODS fix that very very well (thinks better bodies) ^^

EDIT- plus, hl2 doesnt look all that realistic...not anymore at least.. i'll risk it and say STALKER looks btter

Wtf? Stalker doesn't look any better, at all. And people don't get started with Doom 3. It's a totally different game.

Tarkus said:

Wow, mosnters in russia, let's all run. The game design of stalker is pathetic, the detailed models of the weapons are so detailed that they actually look like crap.

This gun looks like it is the Russian Kruger from COD, modelling wise.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/stalker/screens.html?page=373

PatPwnt said:
Wtf? Stalker doesn't look any better, at all. And people don't get started with Doom 3. It's a totally different game.
to me it does... i never mentioned doom3 (well, now i did)

lans said:
the detailed models of the weapons are so detailed that they actually look like crap
i dont even know if that should be taken seriously..

Tarkus said:
i dont even know if that should be taken seriously..

Haven't you heard too much of a good thing can be bad?

Too many polys, bad model...the screenshot is proof of that. See all the videos and tell me, do the monsters even animate properly? and compare HL2's animation with it.

actually the wep in that screenie is very well done... i don' see what's wrong with it..at all..

guinny said:
VERY well said Sub. 5 years of development, more than any other company ever spent on a game, and people think, especially a company like Valve, would release anything short of amazing? Hell Ion Storm could even make an amazing game given 5 years to produce it :p, but this is Valve we're talking about here. I wouldn't be surprised if the graphics are even more mind blowing when it's released. Do you honestly think Valve gave away everything? Greg said it himself, there's engine surprises. So not even the game itself, there's shit about the engine we don't know. It's going to blow us all away, so stop worrying.

Thanks. And in reference to Stalker, it does look good, but I don't know if it looks realistic. There's a difference between awesome and realistic.

And if we know one thing, graphics are second to gameplay. And then people are worried about multiplayer, you think that the company who pioneered story-driven shooters is going to be out of ideas for MP? What'chu smokin' bro? :afro:

Dude: "Hey Gabe! I have an awesome idea! What if we made the Source demo super awesome and made HL2 look like shizit! AWESOME! ORIGINAL!"
Gabe: *smack*

And yes, Morrowind's gfx are beautiful. I need to find those updated models though!

PatPwnt said:
Is there even a story to Stalker?
yeah, i think there is a big plot behind it... suposedly, we have to find out what S.T.A.L.K.E.R. really means.. something like that.. but from the little i've read about stalker, the game seems very well done.. lots of inovation and stuff, dont ask me for examples thought, i dont wanna have to pove anything, u can search for yourself

SubKamran said:
Thanks. And in reference to Stalker, it does look good, but I don't know if it looks realistic. There's a difference between awesome and realistic.

And if we know one thing, graphics are second to gameplay. And then people are worried about multiplayer, you think that the company who pioneered story-driven shooters is going to be out of ideas for MP? What'chu smokin' bro? :afro:

Dude: "Hey Gabe! I have an awesome idea! What if we made the Source demo super awesome and made HL2 look like shizit! AWESOME! ORIGINAL!"
Gabe: *smack*

And yes, Morrowind's gfx are beautiful. I need to find those updated models though!
i honstly haven't seen any video on stalker yet.. so i can't really say if it looks more realistic, i'm just saying that, to me, stalker looks better then hl2

Tarkus said:
i honstly haven't seen any video on stalker yet.. so i can't really say if it looks more realistic, i'm just saying that, to me, stalker looks better then hl2

And I'm saying I don't disagree with you. :D I have seen some pics, but I don't think pictures justify the game.

I think its just that people are comparing Half-Life 2 to games that wont be out in a long time. Like F.E.A.R., Unreal 3.0, Black and White 2, and several of the WWII FPSs.

Dedatorv said:
I think its just that people are comparing Half-Life 2 to games that wont be out in a long time. Like F.E.A.R., Unreal 3.0, Black and White 2, and several of the WWII FPSs.

Drools @ thoughts of Black and White 2

lans said:
Haven't you heard too much of a good thing can be bad?

Too many polys, bad model...the screenshot is proof of that. See all the videos and tell me, do the monsters even animate properly? and compare HL2's animation with it.

Ha, now that was funny. I thought I had seen about everything on this forum. But that's a new one on me. Now someone complains about a gun having to much detail and too many poly's.

:LOL:
:rolleyes:

That gun looks like absolute shit. The hands even look terrible. Since when are our wrists the size of pencils and our hands the size of fly swatters? The enemies look like absolute shit as well as the enviornment. And go watch the videos, the animations look so bad you'd think the game is made for PSX.

stallker looks ok but something about its level of 'detail' or grit kinda makes my mind register it as fake.. just some how. its the same feeling i got when i first played far cry and i was like huh this is kinda clunky.

I can't understand why some people have to be so damn overprotective of HL2 and keep bashing other games. I'm 100% sure HL2 will be great, but there are other good games as well, right? It's not like HL2 has to be the ONLY good game and others must suck. More good games = more fun for us!

I suggest you people download some of the movies of STALKER, it looks and feels pretty amazing. To me it does at least, that is. I don't know much about the story though, but hopefully they will have something good in store for us.

I was pretty dissapointed when they said they won't be doing the coop mode for the game any more, though. :( Coop play is so incredibly amazing, I really wish developers would include it much more often than they do, but I suppose it's a b!itch to code or something since they never do it (with a couple of exceptions of course).

EDIT: You're right, STALKER's animations could be a lot better. I hope this is something they'll improve quite a lot before shipping the game.

Very well said perrkele. I agree with you about the more the merrier, plus we should really play these games before dismissing them.

I think STALKER ( Bored to hell of those periods!) will be a great game, I might just buy it, but if compared to HL2 I found something missing.. errr I dunno what it is. HL2 story seems more interesting, after all Half-life has been my best game since it was released, and I'm dying to continue it's story. And I have many bought top-review games.

I am equally bemused by people who say "oh well, but graphics aren't the important thing". As if they are resigned to HL2 looking crap.

Hell, it is he most realistic looking game since the beginning of time. The DX 9 HDR video displays the best graphics of a game I have ever seen.

Keep your damn plastic chew-toys people, if shiny faces turn you on, I am going for HL2 and a REAL step forward in terms of realistic graphics.

If only they would release some recent screens that aren't 300*400 no A.A. shots of a wall...

Crusader said:
I am equally bemused by people who say "oh well, but graphics aren't the important thing". As if they are resigned to HL2 looking crap.

Hell, it is he most realistic looking game since the beginning of time. The DX 9 HDR video displays the best graphics of a game I have ever seen.

Keep your damn plastic chew-toys people, if shiny faces turn you on, I am going for HL2 and a REAL step forward in terms of realistic graphics.

If only they would release some recent screens that aren't 300*400 no A.A. shots of a wall...
> snip <

~EDIT- deleted this before some fanboy started the flaming

Tarkus said:
> snip <

~EDIT- deleted this before some fanboy started the flaming

Listen Tarkus, go watch a Stalker video RIGHT NOW, you have no right to think that it even looks good in motion untill you've actually seen the videos. Those screenshots are all fancy now, the animation in STALKER is heavily flawed, the characters don't move properly, monster animations are bland, the only animation that looks right is the clouds, but it's not something you haven't witnessed in HL2.

You have to support your reason that stalker has a "big plot", so far GSC hasn't revealed jack about Stalker's story except that it takes place in the near future, in nuked Russia with a dozen tech demo like videos which are graphically good (not out of this world) yet I see nothing innovative.

Lans...or is it Ians.......says it all. Watch the actual videos. I mean I've seen N64 games with more fluidity and better feeling than STALKER.

Stalker is almost photorealistic, plus they don't plan on releasing for another three months, IIRC, so the graphics are necessarily even as good as final product! Looks great now and probably get better, so I probably will get it because of that and I like the whole Chernobyl storyline thing.

Go cry if you want, but HL2 will come and go; Eventually you will play its mods more than the actual game and then you will only play it for memory's sake. I wouldn't dismiss any other games as useless before I at least read a review(who even knows how HL2 will be? We can speculate and hope and wish and speculate some more, and Valve does have a good track record, but we don't KNOW anything besides what they show us. Please don't bash other games because they're "other than HL2, the one true way".

Btw, what is game is that ugly screenshot from? The one with the dog-pig thing?

Back