After watching the Source demo again...

HL2 is a huge stepping stone for anyone who has played HL. HL, over FIVE YEARS AGO, was the greatest game of all time. People still to this day buy and play HL, and in it's five years has had so much happen for it in terms of expansions and mods. HL is like jesus, and now HL2 is like the second coming of christ. It's something we're all waiting for, and something you just know is going to be mind blowing.

Johan_Tayn said:
Stalker is almost photorealistic, plus they don't plan on releasing for another three months, IIRC, so the graphics are necessarily even as good as final product! Looks great now and probably get better, so I probably will get it because of that and I like the whole Chernobyl storyline thing.

Go cry if you want, but HL2 will come and go; Eventually you will play its mods more than the actual game and then you will only play it for memory's sake. I wouldn't dismiss any other games as useless before I at least read a review(who even knows how HL2 will be? We can speculate and hope and wish and speculate some more, and Valve does have a good track record, but we don't KNOW anything besides what they show us. Please don't bash other games because they're "other than HL2, the one true way".

Half of your post just said "Go play your HL2, dumb fanboys" in a sophisticated way.

I'm very open-minded, I enjoy every game and don't just limit myself with HL2, heck why the hell do I have a master cheif avatar if I loved HL2 to death?

You have just repeated what Trakus was saying, good graphics. Please post some evidence of stalker's "intresting" Chernobyl storyline as you say.

Crusader said:
Btw, what is game is that ugly screenshot from? The one with the dog-pig thing?

LMAO. See the reaction to the pic, Trakus?

guinny said:
HL2 is a huge stepping stone for anyone who has played HL. HL, over FIVE YEARS AGO, was the greatest game of all time. People still to this day buy and play HL, and in it's five years has had so much happen for it in terms of expansions and mods. HL is like jesus, and now HL2 is like the second coming of christ. It's something we're all waiting for, and something you just know is going to be mind blowing.

Uh, if HL2 is the second coming wtf will HL3 be? :)

Immortal your kidding right. Idk if your trying to show us how terrible it looks or how good it looks. It looks so bad. The only thing STALKERS got going for it is the sky. And personally, I dont spend 50 bucks on a game to stare at a sky. That monster doesn't even look scary. It looks like someone took an enormous shit and it came to life. And just by looking at it you can tell the animations suck when that blob of shit is in motion.

It's the stupid low quality JPEG compression that makes the screens look crappier than in game.

PatPwnt said:
Looks good... But, I wouldn't say its OMG ITS BETTER THAN HL2 BECUASE I AM AGAINST HL FANBOYISM..!>!11

Sure, the detail is immense, but look at the design. GSC world have very uncreative designers but good technology, what is that thing anyway?!

Wonder why they haven't won any E3 awards with such great tech? they actual game design is not good.

Yeah, i just forgot to say at the end that it looked like a wooden dog!!
STALKER has very poor animated charicters, in the vidoe the dogs started to do three point turns like cars to turn around.

guinny said:
That gun looks like absolute shit. The hands even look terrible. Since when are our wrists the size of pencils and our hands the size of fly swatters? The enemies look like absolute shit as well as the enviornment. And go watch the videos, the animations look so bad you'd think the game is made for PSX.

I'm just looking at the screen (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/stalker/screens.html?page=373) and the gun/hard model looks fine to me. I think you'll notice that the wrist goes on, out of the FOV.

PatPwnt said:
....the third coming...
yeah, the point of the second coming is that it's at the end of the world...

Well, I could care less about Halo (didn't like it very much) but I would still have a Master Chief avatar if only because he looks crazy awesome.

guinny thats the best post I've ever seen. (#48)

lol thanks but it's true. STALKERS developers are about as creative as ID's developers. Except ID at least makes killer game engines.

I find all of this rather complicated. STALKER certainly looks realistic, however it doesn't feel "right". It makes me think "hey, blob creatures don't exist in the REAL world" and not "AHHH! KILL IT!!" Still hangin' on to me?
Right, now I don't like STALKER's guns either, but to each it's own. :) HL/2 just feels right to me. It makes you forget you're still living in the real world. Like other a couple of other games.(Ocarina of Time, PoP: the sands of time, Splinter Cell) Something STALKER sadly doesn't accomplish.

Overall, I think we're all nitpicking on small things.

Crusader said:
I am equally bemused by people who say "oh well, but graphics aren't the important thing". As if they are resigned to HL2 looking crap.

Hell, it is he most realistic looking game since the beginning of time. The DX 9 HDR video displays the best graphics of a game I have ever seen.

Keep your damn plastic chew-toys people, if shiny faces turn you on, I am going for HL2 and a REAL step forward in terms of realistic graphics.

If only they would release some recent screens that aren't 300*400 no A.A. shots of a wall...

I said that because people still play Mario Bros. GFX don't make a game, the gfx of a game should reflect the time in which it was made. Because Mario was made for NES, the gfx were perfect; because HL2 is made today in 2004, it should have gfx good enough for our time.

I just watched the E3 video again I noticed that the plasma cannon's projectile actually bounced from target to target. Anyone else realize this or am I the only newb?

PatPwnt said:
I just watched the E3 video again I noticed that the plasma cannon's projectile actually bounced from target to target. Anyone else realize this or am I the only newb?
Err, I thought we were talking about Graphics...

Yeah it does do that.

the games look about the same tech level graphically but I prefer HL2 because, to me at least, it's artistically better; more interesting, more natural, more varied, more exciting.

iamaelephant said:
Guinny you are a moron....

When you make a comment like that, it makes you look like a moron instead.

Good one, theotherguy. :)

Styloid said:
the games look about the same tech level graphically but I prefer HL2 because, to me at least, it's artistically better; more interesting, more natural, more varied, more exciting.

I love the grunge sort of look, dirt and grime and the European influence...

guinny said:
That monster doesn't even look scary. It looks like someone took an enormous shit and it came to life. And just by looking at it you can tell the animations suck when that blob of shit is in motion.
LOL! :LOL: I agree though, stalker doesnt visually look any better than HL2 IMO, and I am willing to bet the gameplay won't even be close. Are there even any videos of stalker? if ppl are basing their opinions off a game they have not even seen in motion and comparing to HL2 which has been seen in motion in all its excellence, then they are being very ignorant. personally I think most ppl who bash HL2 are only trolling and they will buy/play the game as soon as it comes out like the rest of us.

Stalker's animations do look like shit. Hopefully this will improve.

iamaelephant said:
Guinny you are a moron....

theotherguy said:
and you sir, are an elephant!

Yes but he is an elephant with a penguin picture as his little icon thing. I think he is tryign to mess with us. Watch that one, i expect some trickery.

And to be on topic for just a second. I dont' think the graphics of HL2 were its main selling point. It always thought it was about the story. People rate graphics too high and not enough on gameplay.

STALKER's demo was the most disheartening part of this year's E3. No exaggeration.
It should be very evident to anyone that saw both the HL2 and STALKER vids that STALKER doesn't even hold a candle to HL2 in terms of GFX.. and, to be honest, everything else that was shown during their presentations. There were several points during one of STALKER's outdoor sequences that I honestly thought I was watching a modified DOOM (1). Absolutely repulsive.

I want to play stalker, I want to play doom3, I want to play eq2, i want to play pc games.

Just don't give me an fps game on a console, i'll suck..... Nintendo...wanna make pc games? plz? I wanna play metroid in style.

Discussing it is pointless, were either gamers or super ultra fanboys who won't dare look at another game for fear of taking attention away from hl2.

the video lags like hell for me,

cant wait to see my framerate on the actual game ._.

bass-101 said:
the video lags like hell for me,

cant wait to see my framerate on the actual game ._.

It's not lagging, it's just poorly recorded (either FRAPS so it has an awful framerate, or that's how the game runs currently)

-kinematik- said:
I agree though, stalker doesnt visually look any better than HL2 IMO, and I am willing to bet the gameplay won't even be close. Are there even any videos of stalker? if ppl are basing their opinions off a game they have not even seen in motion and comparing to HL2 which has been seen in motion in all its excellence, then they are being very ignorant.

First you ask if there are any STALKER videos, then you make a wild assumption about gameplay based on two games you have never played, then you have the nerve to call other people ignorant.

Back