alyx.jpeg in 3rd preload.

There are many JPG files but they are all encrypted unfortunately.

kin83 said:
There are many JPG files but they are all encrypted unfortunately.

Ya i just noticed after i made the post. :(

Ah damn. :eek:

Alyx jpg = HL2 MP... like where you choose your character and you see the picture of them in the options. Why else would they have a jpg of Alyx?

Just a thought.

oldagerocker said:
Alyx jpg = HL2 MP... like where you choose your character and you see the picture of them in the options. Why else would they have a jpg of Alyx?

Just a thought.

Ya thats what im thinking.

There's an itchyosaur.jpg, a barneyhelmet jpg, a breenmonitor.jpg, combin_gate_citizen.jpg.

Point is there seems to be jpgs of many many models including bullet shells and guns. Why? I don't know.

There's still absolutely no evidence of a hl2mp in any of these preload files.

Mr-Fusion said:
There's an itchyosaur.jpg, a barneyhelmet jpg, a breenmonitor.jpg, combin_gate_citizen.jpg.

Point is there seems to be jpgs of many many models including bullet shells and guns. Why? I don't know.

The meany has come back to post once more :p

Don't set yourself up to be flamed by posting retarded topics then complain when it does happen.

Mr-Fusion said:

What kind of evidence were you expecting?

Multiplayer will use the same sounds, textures and models as singleplayer, and that's all you've got so far.

The models will have to be seperate from the ones that appear in the single player. Like Half-Life 1 had MP specific player models and single player specific player models.

Unless source integrates the single player and mp model code into the same mdl file i say there's no evidence.

lol i dont care if you flame me or not. Im just makeing fun of how pointless your comment was. I thought i found something but i didnt. No need to go around going bla bla bla lock. Thats just being 4.

Sorry mate, i didn't mean it....i'm just . ..ON EDGE!!

I need a joint :LOL:

what i DO like in that screenshot is the 'binder' models, does this have to do with the 'welding'?

Mr-Fusion said:
The models will have to be seperate from the ones that appear in the single player. Like Half-Life 1 had MP specific player models and single player specific player models.

Unless source integrates the single player and mp model code into the same mdl file i say there's no evidence.

HL's multiplayer models were just stored differently. There was no actual difference in the models. There's no way of knowing how HL2 handles models until it's released, or Valve tell us.

Mr-Fusion said:

I'm sure some of those .jpg files are for the cameras. DX7 can't do cameras. So they would probably get a picture of Breen instead.

Also it's obvious we're going to be playing as "Barneyhelmet" in HL2MP :LOL:

I do like "alyx_postures.mdl" :LOL:

Or these are background pics for the HL2 CD installer which just happen to have been downloaded in the latest HL2 preload (I don't think a Steam installation would actually use them, would it?). I know it sounds odd, but hey, they accidentally put the HL2 script in one of these Steam things, didn't they?

Pi Mu Rho said:
HL's multiplayer models were just stored differently. There was no actual difference in the models. There's no way of knowing how HL2 handles models until it's released, or Valve tell us.
I would suspect that the MP models might possibly have slightly lower polycounts or other fancy tricks on them, to help speed a computer's rendering of them in MP. Such changes could (probably would) require the models to be stored elsewhere.

Of course, however, this is all just my assumptions, and it is entirely possible they use the same models, or use altered models but store them in the same files.

As for sounds and textures, there is a slim possibility that some multiplayer maps could have new textures or sounds that aren't used in other parts of the game - however unless the files had obvious names like an "mp" prefix, there's no real way to see if there definately is an MP or not.

Anyone know what "scriptedsequence.mdl" is for?

You can't make scripts without a model or something?

It's there for "node_hint.mdl" too. So is this just for the ditor so you can see what you're dealing with?

Is it just me, or is the hl2 community becoming

a) ruder

and

b) angrier

?

oldagerocker said:

Just a thought.

All the image files of models might be used in the editor. Would make sense to have a small window with a pic of what model you select. I think that might be a bit more likely.

FISKER_Q said:
Anyone know what "scriptedsequence.mdl" is for?

You can't make scripts without a model or something?

It's there for "node_hint.mdl" too. So is this just for the ditor so you can see what you're dealing with?

when you put a hint node in a map it shows that mdl, same deal with scripted sequence, when you use a scripted sequence that mdl is shown in hammer.

and the jpgs are there because it's easier to open a jpg to check out a model and find what you need rather than loading a bunch of different models into hammer to check them.

Neutrino said:
All the image files of models might be used in the editor. Would make sense to have a small window with a pic of what model you select. I think that might be a bit more likely.

actually the 3d model is rendered in the editor, no more boring boxes taking the place of models, you get to see the actual model in the editor before compiling the map.

Chode said:
Is it just me, or is the hl2 community becoming

a) ruder

and

b) angrier

?

no not just you. the community loses patience every day

Well all .jpg's checked and they're all encrypted.

And the others we don't have viewers for, unless we have the leak.

FISKER_Q said:
Well all .jpg's checked and they're all encrypted.

And the others we don't have viewers for, unless we have the leak.

I don't get it. I left the community, got into the STALKER community, now hover lightly around this community again and I'm as angry and rude as I've ever been....

Mr-Fusion said:

The .jpg images aren't actually used in-game, rather they're used by mappers when browsing the models directories. This makes it easier to find the model you want to place in your map/etc

Mr-Fusion said:
It's been said before, but i'll say it again, CS:Source is the only multiplayer component that will ship with HL2.

Teddy said:
The .jpg images aren't actually used in-game, rather they're used by mappers when browsing the models directories. This makes it easier to find the model you want to place in your map/etc

I believe that Hammer for HL2 actually displays the models. I'm not 100% on that, though.

It's been said before, but i'll say it again, CS:Source is the only multiplayer component that will ship with HL2.

Until it's known for definite one way or the other, this is just speculation.

ytinupmi said:
actually the 3d model is rendered in the editor, no more boring boxes taking the place of models, you get to see the actual model in the editor before compiling the map.

I hope so, otherwise placing props can be a tricky business.

Pi Mu Rho said:
HL's multiplayer models were just stored differently. There was no actual difference in the models.

The animations were MP specific. So there is a difference :)

ZeeM said:
The animations were MP specific. So there is a difference :)
He meant that the 3D geometry of the models didn't have any differences.

Mechagodzilla said:
Is it possible that they are the model textures?

I thought model textures were in a .tga format. Could be wrong though. I'm not a modeler.

Back