Am I okay with this upgrade?

Reaction score
I just purchased a new CPU for my aging rig, and after using google for a bit, I don't know how to feel about it. I bought an FX4100 @ 3.6Ghz. It's definitely an upgrade from my Q8200, but I keep hearing mediocre reviews for the FX series CPUs. Give me some reassurance/pity?

I'm a bit confused is the FX4100 and AMD processor and the Q8200 an intel one, does your motherboard accept both?

The FX4100 is a solid processor to have these days, but like he said I'm a bit confused... did you also upgrade your motherboard? Q8200 uses one of the Intel LGA sockets, and the FX4100 is AM3 or AM3+...

Lol. Yes, I also upgraded my motherboard. Sorry for the confusion.
The new parts came today and I haven't done a comparison or anything yet, but I did overclock the CPU to a solid 4.7Ghz.
I know that frequency isn't the only factor in processor speed, but I do really feel impressed by the number. Lol.

I might just have bad luck, but every AMD processor I've had has always given me problems. I'm sticking with intel for awhile because they seem to be the most reliable.

Depends... the Q8200 is pretty descend for a gaming rig...You would have been better off with more ram and a new GFX card,but since you updated,yes the FX4100 is better than the Q8200 in processing power,althou not by a much,and you will not feel a big difference in gaming...But congratz! :D

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm liking the upgrade so far. Honestly I haven't been able to ell much of a difference so far, but I haven't really done much high end gaming so far. I did lose my stuttering from Red Orchestra 2 though. Thank god!!! Also this was a good introduction into overclocking. With the Q8200 the headroom wasn't even worth the risk. I would have had to buy a new motherboard just to get up to maybe 2.5Ghz. Also, I'm waiting on the patch for Windows 7. Apparently my rig isn't running at full capacity because of the new CPU architecture not yet being supported. I'll report back on my satisfaction when they release that. :D

Another thing, I may be pushing my rig up a couple more Ghz soon. Once I got to 4.7 I just didn't feel like going any farther the other day, but I plan to in a couple of days. I purchased a really nice heatsink just for this purpose.

Woah,woah slow down there.Do you have the cooler to cope with the extra heat?
And see what's the max overclocking speed for the processor.
If you go too far,it will fry your motherboard as a whole,since the processor actually increases the voltage flow,and the amp flow...
First make sure it's worth the risk to overclock it further :D

Back