Ancient PC needs a few upgrades but I'm broke.

Lucid

The Freeman
Reaction score
Alright, I have an ASRock K7S8X motherboard and I'm looking to replace the PSU I have since I'm sure it's much older than the mobo but I'm also looking to buy a new GPU that supports AGP and is under $70, I've got my eyes on this for the GPU at the moment and it's the primary reason I want a new PSU... I mean I don't even know the specs of the current PSU I just know it's old as hell.

I'm willing to spend $100 tops for the PSU and GPU together.

Would like a reply asap as my current GPU is dead and I'm running the comp off of the horribad(probably nonexistent) onboard card.

Thank you so much for your assistance, my problems have suddenly all vanished.

Not really much advice to give here. You're looking at bargin bin components at that price range. I'd say just buy the newest $60 GPU you can find and then buy a psu with what money remains. That card looks decent, so see if you can find a good PSU. Corsair might make one for around $40.

Yeah, I'm just unsure about actually finding a PSU that's compatible with the mobo... or is that a non-issue?

A little warning about buying AGP graphics cards. You're probably on an Pentium 4/Athlon XP era processor, and speaking from my own experience a 3650 AGP is badly bottlenecked by that. I had a X1650 AGP(performance comparable to 3650) in my old PC and most games that would work fine on a PCIe variation of the same card ran at not nearly 1/4 speed on the AGP version because of the old CPU i was on...

To be honest I would just get a cheap second hand card and save up for a new PC if you can, rather than spend $100 on trying to play games on a coal-powered machine.

I just can't see myself being able to accumulate enough cash to completely upgrade in the near future so I'm totally willing to dish out $100 right now to last me a couple more years.

I just can't see myself being able to accumulate enough cash to completely upgrade in the near future so I'm totally willing to dish out $100 right now to last me a couple more years.

That sucks, but I just wanted to point out spending $100 on a newer PSU+video isn't going to give you more gaming possibilities than a cheap 2nd hand lower-end card(that doesn't need a beefy PSU) for $25 because you're on a ****ing Athlon XP at best. I'm speaking from my own experience here, on my previous PC which had an Athlon XP I upgraded from a Geforce 5900 to a X1650 because I was tempted by benchmarks of the X1650, but because it was bottlenecked by my CPU it was hardly any better.

No AGP card is giong to last you a couple more years. They've already been extinct for a while. I bought the 3650 like several years ago and it was struggling to keep up even then.

Unless you mean a couple more years of playing the exact same games you're playing now.

I've been content with doing that and will continue to be.

Can't miss what you don't have really.

Back