Another Brilliant Theory from Noodle: Portal 2 (a likely, yet unstated one)

hey im just going off of what i read about her, and Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System, makes sense to me, no need to bash me or the mexicans man, or girl cat thing, i cant tell. Im just saying that it is possible that GLaDOS maybe copied her memory or software onto a disk and sent it to another part of the facility. Who knows, maybe the combine knows about this "disk" and are going after it, sort of a twist to the story in half life 2 episode 1 and 2, where it is the combine on the run with stolen information not gordan and alyx. just a thought.

Nah, I read it. And most of it is unfounded, and it's not a theory if you don't have proof.

Theory = Something with backup in the form of facts or data, not opinions.

Hypothesis = What you're doing.

I actually prefer "Random shot in the dark idea to pacify my boredom."

and the thing about it being a prequel is founded on fact, but the fact is highly debatable in it's meaning.

I actually prefer "Random shot in the dark idea to pacify my boredom."

and the thing about it being a prequel is founded on fact, but the fact is highly debatable in it's meaning.

What fact would that be?

The most reliable evidence is "Cave Johnson" voice actor. It could simply be recording's that Cave Johnson made. Hell, if Valve decides to follow the Half Life 2 storyline, then Cave Johnson (who supposingly died in 1970s) might have actually teleported away sometime in the future.

That being said, I can understand why you think it's a prequel, but a prequel is just not that good an idea, especially if there is no consistency to the never-talking characters you're using.

Edit: By the way are you serious about "Brilliant Theory" or are you joking around?

A prequel would just be dumb. Valve works on continuation of storylines, they want to tell a story. Portal is important to the entire Half-Life universe for reasons we aren't quite sure of yet. Episode 3 or Portal 2 will clear that up, hopefully.

or girl cat thing,

You can call me 'Horo'.

I agree about it seeming like they would want to progress the story forward with a sequel, not that a prequel wouldn't be interesting.

If that thing about valve looking for a voice actor for Cave Johnson is true, they said he was dead and put inside a machine/computer. So even though he supposedly 'died' in the late 1970s, the game could still be a sequel and have him in it.

Also, I might be wrong, but I think it was just the enrichment center that got destroyed and not all of Aperture Science. So maybe we'll be going there in the next game? It's hard to guess what will happen.

What fact would that be?

The most reliable evidence is "Cave Johnson" voice actor. It could simply be recording's that Cave Johnson made. Hell, if Valve decides to follow the Half Life 2 storyline, then Cave Johnson (who supposingly died in 1970s) might have actually teleported away sometime in the future.

That being said, I can understand why you think it's a prequel, but a prequel is just not that good an idea, especially if there is no consistency to the never-talking characters you're using.

Edit: By the way are you serious about "Brilliant Theory" or are you joking around?

No, I'm not serious about the brilliant thing...

And I don't think it is or isn't a prequel. I honestly have no idea what is going on in the ever-changing minds fo Valve people. The *fact of the Cave Johnson voice thing just sparked the idea for a prequel, and I ran with it. The whole idea/story I came up with was a creative thing on my own more than a prediction.

And again, continuity doesn't require forward-moving timelines between installments. That's the whole idea of a prequel. Portal 2 would end where Portal began.

interesting thought. I believed that only then Aperture science computer aided enrichment center was destroyed by the end of portal. There still may be a part Aperture science left, maybe in a different building perhaps. No clue. But it is an interesting thought that they would set portal 2 to take place before portal. or maybe perhaps at the same time. and the whole deal with Crave Johnson, i dont think hes alive, well at least in body form. Maybe Aperture figured out a way to cryogenicly freeze him, or they could have scooped out his brain and put it into a computer like GLaDOS. there are so many possibilities, but one way or another, we'll be hearing from him.

No, I'm not serious about the brilliant thing...

And I don't think it is or isn't a prequel. I honestly have no idea what is going on in the ever-changing minds fo Valve people. The *fact of the Cave Johnson voice thing just sparked the idea for a prequel, and I ran with it. The whole idea/story I came up with was a creative thing on my own more than a prediction.

And again, continuity doesn't require forward-moving timelines between installments. That's the whole idea of a prequel. Portal 2 would end where Portal began.

You are right continuity doesn't require forward-moving timelines, but continuing a story does.

Whatever secrets that can be told to understand the whole story of portal can be explained further down the timeline, explaining further back limits the whole experience more. If it is as you say portal 2 ending where portal begins, that is a prequel based on events that happened a few hours back. There isn't a point to that because we know that Chell is not Glados' first victim, nor can we guarantee she is the last.

Prequels are overused these days as developers' easy money makers. Some companies use it for good and some use it to give you a lesser version or the same version of the game you already have. Making a prequel allows developers to take out features from your game and say "it wasn't invented yet" or recycle a story that has already been told, except this time you play the earlier story.

Prequels need a good reason to happen. For example, Street Fighter 4 is a prequel to Street fighter 3, but that allows the developers to reduce the number of skills (because the characters haven't learnt them yet) in order to implement a new fighting system. On the other hand, you get developers like stalker, where they basically made a prequel called clear sky to the original game with everything pretty much kept the same, even the maps. Alhough this time, they bless gamers with more bugs and less features than before showing how much effort they put in the game, and how much recycling they have done.

I just see more creative potential in a prequel. That's all, and it's totally subjective.

And yes, a lot of prequels are hideous. A lot are good. Valve would make a good one.

I just see more creative potential in a prequel. That's all, and it's totally subjective.

Depending on when they decided to set it, it could tie in with the immediate aftermath of the Black Mesa Incident, its repercussions on Earth, and what Aperture Science thought of it all.

Back