Another Brilliant Theory from Noodle: Portal 2 (a likely, yet unstated one)

Noodle

Reaction score
Portal 2, evidence suggests, is going to be a prequel. For thos who do not know, supposedly the idea of it being a prequel came about when Valve posted a job for a voice actor to do the part of Cave Johnson, Aperture Science's mentally insane founder/CEO, who died by the time of Portal.

Anyway... blah blah blah... Why hasn't anybody mentioned Portal 2 being a prequel about disappearance of the Borealis? I imagine it'd go something like this:

--------------------------

-Begins at Aperture Science (pre-GLaDOS run amok) and the character, Chell, is a worker at Aperture Science. It is her day to...

..***n through some test chambers (non-malicious ones) with the Handheld Aperture Science Portal Thingy. Scientists' words indicate her test is minor, and some major equipment testing is going on their research vessel, the Borealis.

Suddenly, the Borealis work goes horribly wrong, removing the Borealis, as well doing some other damage to Aperture Science facilities. Chell must make her way through the Aperture Science buildings, being aided by distressed scientists (this sounds familiar...), and having to shut off some experimental equipment at the Borealis, which, unbeknownst to these scientists and Chell, is gone. She finally reaches where the Borealis was, and ends up going into the big "Portal Thing That Resulted From The Borealis That Only Valve Knows About", being transported to the Borealis, or nearby, to shut off the equipment that could do a lot of other stuff, as well as find a way to help the scientists on board the Borealis escape. Unfortunately, the Borealis is in Xen.
OR
She FINDS the Borealis, with some bizzare energetic stuff going on around it, including a few randomly missing peices of hull and drydock, as well as random snow. She ventures onto the ship to help some scientists, with her Portal Gun, repair whatever screwed it all. In the attempt, the Borealis gets transported to Xen.

...follow me here...

A bizzare quest to to the bridge to turn on the engine or something so they have power results in a glimpse of Xen. However, it is brief, as the scientists then do some stuff that immediately transports them to the arctic. Chell encounters a small handfull of Xen fauna that went onto the ship, and she passes them buy, kills them, etc... does something.
She makes it back to the group of scientists, who have figured out how to get them back to Aperture Science usings parts from Chell's handy-dandy Portal Gun. Unfortunately, they say, it might end up being a "slow teleport", a la HL2, due to blahblahscienceblah. The first few scientists go through the teleport, Chell going last. (note: this teleport is not simply Portal's blue/orange window) Chell appears at a now-abandoned Aperture Science, with something that Valve will decide indicating lost time... The room she is in has the one portal gun with only blue portals. Having no other option, and unable to pick up the portal gun, Chell walks into the portal, which puts her right into the stasis chamber she wakes up in in Portal.

comments?

Brilliant Theory? Do you know what these two words means?

I don't buy into the prequel stuff. Prequels are a cliche which Valve has always stayed well away from.

Just because the voice of Cave Johnson will be present in the game doesn't mean the actual character will be.

-Begins at Aperture Science (pre-GLaDOS run amok) and the character, Chell, is a worker at Aperture Science. It is her day to...

I stopped here. I was under the impression that Chell was one of the girls taken from the Aperture "Bring You Daughter To Work Day", implying that she was a kid when GLaDOS first took her (hence her young age in Portal), but this could be as much bs as this theory.

Brilliant Theory? Do you know what these two words means?

In this case, it means poorly done sarcasm. I honestly doubt anything "brilliant" is going to be posted on these forums, especially relating to obscure plot predictions.

As far for it being like Half-Life... well, yeah. I'm just thinking what storyline would make good gameplay, retaining a lot of qualities from Portal, and still have an interesting storyline that ties in with Half-Life a little more without totally intruding on it. Plus, I kinda like the idea of paralleling Aperture Science to Black Mesa...

I just can't think of any way Portal 2 could have a good plot with simliar Portal gameplay without either being a prequel or deviating extremely far from the original storyline of Portal. (Left4Portal?)

I think the "Bring Your Daughter to Work Day" is ValvE's sense of humor more than a critical plot point.

I should have added a disclaimer at the bottom: "Of course, I could, and probably am, WAY OFF, but wth, I was bored."

Chell had been in the chamber longer than that. There was a countdown for a reason, she wouldn't have been let out before the timer was up.

I just can't think of any way Portal 2 could have a good plot with simliar Portal gameplay without either being a prequel or deviating extremely far from the original storyline of Portal.
Half Life 2 deviated extremely far from the original storyline of Half Life. Does that make it bad?

If anything, it's a good thing. Opens up new gameplay opportunities. I'm itching to get the chance to use the Portal Gun in an outdoor environment.

Half Life 2 deviated extremely far from the original storyline of Half Life. Does that make it bad?

If anything, it's a good thing. Opens up new gameplay opportunities. I'm itching to get the chance to use the Portal Gun in an outdoor environment.

I know it may deviate far, but I'm pretty sure that Portal 2 will tie in closer with the Half-Life 2 storyline. And I doubt the portal gun would work outdoors... on grass? nah.

First of all, Portal is a puzzle game, not a first-person-shooter-action-adventure game like Half-life and Half-life 2. Second, it is very unlikely that Valve will make a prequel. They're just not like that. If you ask me, I would say that Portal 2 would just be more test chambers, but with Aperature Science under control.

First of all, Portal is a puzzle game, not a first-person-shooter-action-adventure game like Half-life and Half-life 2. Second, it is very unlikely that Valve will make a prequel. They're just not like that. ***If you ask me, I would say that Portal 2 would just be more test chambers, but with Aperature Science under control.***

ummm... that would be a prequel.

First of all, Portal is a puzzle game, not a first-person-shooter-action-adventure game like Half-life and Half-life 2. Second, it is very unlikely that Valve will make a prequel. They're just not like that. If you ask me, I would say that Portal 2 would just be more test chambers, but with Aperature Science under control.

I'm sorry but this is a ridiculous statement! Where the hell is the evidence that suggests that developing prequels would be 'un-Valve-like' when they have not once publicized their stance on taking such an approach? And the fact that they have not yet developed a prequel is no such evidence.

Just 'more test chambers'? Now, that would be un-Valve-like.

I'm quite honestly convinced that Portal 2 could very well be a prequel. Aperture has been properly introduced with Portal 1. Chell has been introduced. GlaDOS has been introduced. What could you do with a 'sequel' that is otherwise being explored in Episode Three? I think it would be far more interesting if we were to go back and examine Aperture's downfall, coupled with the Borealis' dissappearance. It's a far more interesting and relevant approach to take.

...what if Gordon gets the Portal Gun in EP:3?

Dosen't really work in context with the games. We won't be getting it.

It's still plausible. But if at all, maybe only a glimpse, or a small section.

Also, it won't be the same. I can tell you that.

I have a feeling that if the portal gun shows up in the half life game it will be used by someone against Gordon, perhaps as a story element, because if Gordon does get it I think he would be freaked out when trying to look at himself through a portal by seeing the portal gun just floating in the air. and as an extension of that it might break the immersion factor.

I have a feeling that if the portal gun shows up in the half life game it will be used by someone against Gordon, perhaps as a story element, because if Gordon does get it I think he would be freaked out when trying to look at himself through a portal by seeing the portal gun just floating in the air. and as an extension of that it might break the immersion factor.

This thought has passed through my mind. I honestly doubt that, considering Gordon doesn't even have an official model in the games, we'll be seeing Gordon get his hands on it. Still, the idea of being able to use the Portal gun in an environment where enemies could be disposed of from behind, or throwing objects through the portals to take out enemies IS deeply satisfying. Although, since we were talking about Portal 2, initially, I can only hope that it is NOT some sort of prequel, and I DO hope that we get more intellectually stimulating puzzles. My arsenal of shoot/kill/stab/die games is getting over populated, I'd like to have something witty and fun, for a change.

It would be nice if Portal 2 took place in some sort of outdoor arena instead of in concrete chambers.

Am I the only person that thinks the next Portal game is more than likely going to be a prequel of sorts? I'm having trouble understanding how a sequel would work, storywise. I really want more than just extra puzzles, too.

Am I the only person that thinks the next Portal game is more than likely going to be a prequel of sorts? I'm having trouble understanding how a sequel would work, storywise. I really want more than just extra puzzles, too.

GlaDOS is still alive.

No, I'm in the exact same line of thinking.

I will kill myself if it's a prequel. I mean it.

We already had that mod that was practically a prequel. Don't need more. I want STORY PROGRESSION.

Portal may be doomed.
Even with GLaDOS alive, with the Aperture research facility destroyed, there's no room for a sequel.
With so many fans against it, they might regret making a prequel.
Maybe they're just have to integrate it into HL2 Ep3.

How is there no room for a sequel? God, have some imagination!

They're OUTSIDE!

I will kill myself if it's a prequel. I mean it.

We already had that mod that was practically a prequel. Don't need more. I want STORY PROGRESSION.

Why must the STORY PROGRESSION be in a strictly linear, forward-moving plot? A prequel would reveal new stuff just as well. It would still have a seperate storyline that the game was based around. You're making a judgement based on... at what time the story takes place within a fictional universe. And saying a mod already gave you prequel-type stuff is a lame reason to not want a prequel.

As for people saying it's "un-VALVE-like!", developing Portal, a puzzle-centric game, was a radical shift at VALVE, whose only puzzle experience before was mild physics puzzles among rabid shoot-em-ups.

As a side note, mass suicide would create one hulluva legal mess. If that happens, you can forget about HL:3, or L4D:8.

As a second side-note/random-though/it's-late-and-i'm-bored, if GLaDOS is "still alive", it's probably as a Cabal-esque (C&C), multi-installation A.I.

And really, what good would a portal gun be outside? Most of the sidewalks are now full of anti-portal craters... and grass is def not portal-friendly...

hey, sorry to interrupt, but i just found something that might be a clue. I was playing through portal, just to see if i had missed something that might point in the direction of portal 2 or half life 2 episode 3. After completing each test chamber and going over each rat man nest with a fine tooth comb, i found nothing. So after defeating GLaDOS i watched the Still Alive video, and i noticed something that i didnt pick up on the first time around. one of the lines in the song goes as fallows "So I'm GLaD I got burned think of all the things we learned". glad is spelled the some way as GLaDOS. and correct me if im wrong but doesn't GLaDOS stand for "Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System"? so if we drop the "DOS" off of her name, we get GLaD, standing for "Genetic Lifeform and Disk". Know i dont know if your still fallowing me, but to me this means that GLaDOS has Burned herself onto a disk, and thats how shes still alive. She is know GLaD, and she got burned, onto a disk. Not sure if anyone else has made this connection yet, i looked around and didnt see anything on it. as for the theory of whats going to happen in half life 2 episode 3 or portal 2, no one really knows but VALVe, so you guys can just stop fighting over it. but who am i to tell you what to do. Im here to voice my opinion, just like you people.

You are to be commended for the idea of her being burned to a disk, instead of to a crisp. That said, it's prolly just a pun. I like the idea, though. Didn't catch that.

it very well may be, but like the rest of you, im going to stick with my theory. even though it isnt much of one, its a start. Portal theories seems to be more laid back than the ones in half life, ive seen forms of people just going ape shit with each other cuz one thinks G-man came from Zen, and another thinks the G-man is really Gordan from the future. i say, whatever man. He is who he is, and he creeps me out, thats as far as im going into it.

it very well may be, but like the rest of you, im going to stick with my theory. even though it isnt much of one, its a start. Portal theories seems to be more laid back than the ones in half life, ive seen forms of people just going ape shit with each other cuz ones the G-man came from Zen, and another things the G-man is really Gordan from the future. i say, whatever man. He is who he is, and he creeps me out, thats as far as im going into it.

It took me a few reads to understand what you were saying there, and I'm glad I figured out that you were distancing yourself from all the crackpot HL2 theories out there. Respect.

I love that :E

"Another Brilliant Theory from Noodle".

I think if I was to make a thread, I'll type out something like "FlamingDTS has done it again. Not only did he discover the secrets of Valve like the great Sherlock, but he did it within an efficient amount of time".

Props to self-respect and self-complimenting.

Do you have a link to your first brilliant theory? I'm very interested (no sarcasm).

Most of them are just in my head. I just get bored a lot. And besides, no one would read some n00b's first ever brilliant theory.

Most of them are just in my head. I just get bored a lot. And besides, no one would read some n00b's first ever brilliant theory.

Nah, I read it. And most of it is unfounded, and it's not a theory if you don't have proof.

Theory = Something with backup in the form of facts or data, not opinions.

Hypothesis = What you're doing.

ut doesn't GLaDOS stand for "Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System"? so if we drop the "DOS" off of her name, we get GLaD,

No. You would get 'Gla'.

And a disc operating system is something you run a computer with, maybe off of a separate hard drive. GlaDOS IS that hard drive. It's made to control everything in the facility with little interference from workers, allowing less mexican immigrants doing the chores around the place.

Back