Another Doug Lombardi Interview

Chris D

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Valve Software's Director of Marketing, Doug Lombardi, has conducted an interview with Computer Games Online which speak about a wide variety of topics including the SDK, Team Fortress 2 and large quantities of tequila! Here's a small passage:

Computer Games Romania: Will you ship Half-Life: Source and Counter-Strike: Source in the same time with Half-Life 2?[br]Doug Lombardi: Yes, we plan to make them available at the same time.
The whole interview is an interesting read and has a few small bits of new information.[br]You can read the full interview by clicking here.

yey! i will be able to run HL2 on minimal gfx with almost 30 fps!!!!!!!!! yey!!!!!

Good interview. That answers most of the questions we've been asking.

Looks like the year delay of the game has come to pass.

Intel17 said:
So they're shipping in the fall...crap
Yeah, that's a bit disappointing, TBH.
But with any luck Doom 3 can fill in the void until the fall.

it does suggest that there will be a demo before its release but just before :D

OMG! IS IT REALLY SEPTEMBER!! THEY LIED. September isnt summer. Its FALL!!

Actually, Summer doesn't end until Spetember 22nd.

If I may, I'll bet anyone that this game is going to be a huge letdown...
Pepto Bismol's Upset of the year. Seeing footage from the game a whole year before its release let loose our imagination, and I'm sure HL2 won't give me all the things I imagined.

The MODs however..... might prove to be really interesting.

Sorry for being negative, I'm not bitter, it's just how I forsee it. It feels like playing HL2 will be like watching the Sixth Sense, while knowing the surprise ending (BORING!!!)

that's not what a member here posted in the info from valve thread ... he got a message from gabe saying that they will release the RC (release candidate) july 30 and not "in august". Unless its a fake....

SIN55,
The entire point of The Sixth Sense, by M. Night Shyamalan, is that it was ingeniously crafted to be watched multiple times with a new experience each time (at least from the first viewing to the second). The actors/actresses, throughout the movie, all had to play double roles. All of their dialogue, emotions, and actions were all portrayed in a way that would make the audience accept their actions, whether the audience knows the surprise ending or not.
For instance, at Bruce and his wife's Anniversary dinner, Bruce's character sat down in the chair without pulling it out. His wife (/widow) was sitting idly in the chair, not replying to him. This particular scene had some great creativity within it, especially when she looked right at Bruce. Incase you thought she "messed up" and looked at him, she was in fact looking up at a man who had just abruptly coughed - right behind Willis.
I'd carry on with how the movie shouldn't have been that boring watching it while knowing the surprise ending. However, I might as well tie this in with Half-Life 2, noting that once we all complete the game, we'll go back and play again (on a higher difficulty, of course), thusly playing an entirely new gaming experience, but with the same product (this is also achieved through the use of open-ended freedom for solving puzzles/scenarios in the Half-Life Universe).

- OneMrBean

HL2 is gettin' older and older everytime when they delay it.
If it (at least) comes out it gonna be somewhat obsolete.
D3 and STALKER could be nails to its coffin when released earlier.
Valve didn't seem to get it.

Chris_D said:
Actually, Summer doesn't end until Spetember 22nd.

but they said, that they hope to deliver in fall. so, don't keep sitting on a summer release.

Cujo said:
HL2 is gettin' older and older everytime when they delay it.
If it (at least) comes out it gonna be somewhat obsolete.
D3 and STALKER could be nails to its coffin when released earlier.
Valve didn't seem to get it.

It is not about competing, u didnt seem to get it, valve will delay their product till its superb, and so will ID probly. They have proven that this works much better then rushing the game (for whatever reason)...

Back