Anyone experienced with BnB/Hostels?

Ravioli

Microboner
Reaction score
What are your experiences with hostels and Bed n Breakfest places? Are they generally safe? Or is there a lot of scamming with these businesses? The reason i ask is because i will be staying at a bed n breakfest in Holland so i just want to make sure i know everything there is to know about these types of things. They want payment in advance via bank transfer, is that normal? How do i know im not gonna arrive there and there is no one there, that its just a scam?

Any advice or tips please.

It's only normal if it's a wire transfer to their cayman islands account.

For the most part, they're pretty safe. Going with a hotel/Break and Breadfast chain is always a good idea, also look up some reviews online before you decide on which one to go to.

There's nothing particularly special about them. Pay ONLY when you get there, check the place out before you do, maybe Google the name so you know you're not gonna get raped. Unless you're into it.

Oh, so its really bad if i pay in advance? The place is registered on some Hostel sites, and has some small reviews by random people, but is that easily faked? There are nice pictures of it, and the place shows up on the google maps as a BnB. How can i make sure its an official thing that is registered somewhere?

It could well be legit, but it shouldn't be that hard to find another place that doesn't charge you in advance.

Yeah i found another one that doesnt charge in advance, but that one is placed much further away from the event i will attend, and since i dont have a car i would have to walk through shady neighborhoods at night (i arrive late). What stops the guy from punching me in the face and running off with the money?

The one that i pay in advanced shows up on multiple hostel sites, and they already sent me a payment check (if i dont pay they just cancel the reservation). It looks legit so far, i mean i have their phone number and all the bank info, so if they are really scamming, the police could easily get them. Talked to the woman who owns the place on the phone and she was very helpful.

Heres the place:
http://www.hostelbookers.com/hostels/netherlands/arnhem/7135/

What do you guys think? Am i gonna get raped?

Looks fine. This is real life, you're not going to get raped/murdered.

Yeah, that only happens in the movies.

Also quite often in real life, like 70 percent of the time? I'm sure you'll be fine hahahahahaha

but seriously have a knife in your shoe

I think it's normal for them to ask for payment in advance. Generally, hotels put a hold on your credit card before you check in then the charge goes through when you leave.

Yea I usually stay at about a mile away from my vacation spot whenever I go. They ask for an advance payment on a credit card but thats really only to hold a room for me, they'll only charge it when I show up.

That said, I only pay for hotel rooms with cash.

Yea I usually stay at about a mile away from my vacation spot whenever I go. They ask for an advance payment on a credit card but thats really only to hold a room for me, they'll only charge it when I show up.

That said, I only pay for hotel rooms with cash.

They'll probably also charge it if you don't show up.

Why take your credit card then. They basically want it as a means for you to ensure you're coming... OR ELSE! Muahahaha.

I've only ever stayed in one hotel.

Long story short, I do not like sleeping anywhere other than my house.

They'll probably also charge it if you don't show up.

Why take your credit card then. They basically want it as a means for you to ensure you're coming... OR ELSE! Muahahaha.

Yea, I think they charge like half price if you don't show up since they wouldn't make money from that room otherwise.

People pulling out of a booking would be very harmful to a small b'n'b, they'd more than likely charge it fully. Which is why they want payment in advance.

What are your experiences with hostels and Bed n Breakfest places? Are they generally safe? Or is there a lot of scamming with these businesses? The reason i ask is because i will be staying at a bed n breakfest in Holland so i just want to make sure i know everything there is to know about these types of things. They want payment in advance via bank transfer, is that normal? How do i know im not gonna arrive there and there is no one there, that its just a scam?

Any advice or tips please.
My Mom owns a bed and breakfast.

Yes, you pay in advance like any other place where you stay overnight. You are also reserving the room. If you don't show up, you get docked - some of the money is not refundable.
they'd more than likely charge it fully. Which is why they want payment in advance.
Could be that too. I'm sure it differs from place to place.

Just make sure it's a reputable establishment before you go giving away your details.

I don't know if bank transfer is normal or not. I can ask. My mom uses a credit card machine like you see in stores - it's hooked up to the telephone line. It also has buttons so that the number can be entered by hand (like if you gave her the number over the phone)

I mean, you are staying in somebody's house, and they cook you breakfast. Obviously, there is some level of trust involved, but in reality, not any more than when you stay at a hotel. If anything, they should be the one worried about strangers in their home.

Thanks for all the input. The payment is an "invoice" so im not entirely sure how they work, im guessing its like a normal bank check where i just transfer money. Il do some more research to make up my mind.

Thanks again. If i stop posting after the 30th of november, consider me dead.

I wonder if our sarcasm will ever (or has) killed anyone. Darwin award amirite?

Thanks for all the input. The payment is an "invoice" so im not entirely sure how they work, im guessing its like a normal bank check where i just transfer money. Il do some more research to make up my mind.

Thanks again. If i stop posting after the 30th of november, consider me dead.

Does that payment method offer some kind of buyer protection? (like every other method I can think of besides cash). Anyway, I'm sure it's fine - like you said, you can always call her and hassle her about ripping you off. haha

We stayed in a bed and breakfast on our Europe trip this summer at a small place in Bagni D'Lucca, which is outside of Florence, Italy and it was such a great experience. It was up in the mountains and overlooked the valley into the town and the property was well kept.

Pics:

147.jpg

151.jpg

Our little house:
155.jpg

And the best part was the food without a doubt. They had this little old lady come up from the village each day and start cooking around 1pm. They started with bread, then gave us a meat and cheese plate, followed by our first plate, then followed by our second plate, followed by dessert. The first night we ate we had the first plate which filled us up and when the waiter (who was also the owner and did everything else except cook) came around to ask us what we wanted for our second plate we were amazed. Each dinner took us on average of 2-2 1/2 hours to complete.

They also owned and operated their own farm where they grew vegetables, olive, and grape trees as well as gathered honey. Was such an amazing experience.

Back