Archeology as a science

Do you consider Archeology a good science

• Yes

Votes: 53 96.4%
  • No

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
Anything that properly uses the scientific method is a science.

Anything that properly uses the scientific method is a science.

Bingo.

If it can use the scientific method properly to obtain data on which to base theories, it is a science. Many things fit this field, including archeology, but also more obscure sciences like political science and computer science.

As for computer science being nothing "but" mathematics and physics, then I suppose you must be a reductionist if you have that attitude. Chemistry is "just" fancy physics, and biology is "just" fancy chemistry. Computer science adds new concepts not found in mathematics or physics like specific data structures, a general theory of computing and algorithmic processes, streamlining and optimizing, and other such disciplines. While it is true that these can be found in purer forms in mathematics, computer science uses these ideas to test ideas using the scientific method, which makes it a science, not just another branch of mathematics.

Computer science can involve a broad spectrum of sciences including electronics, magnetics, artificial intelligence, mathematics, and just about every scientific field you can think of depending on what you're computing.

The question was never if Archeology was a science. It's whether or not it was a science worth pursuing.

Anything we can learn from is worth pursuing, therefore archeology is worth pursuing.

My view on what is science:

A science (noun) -> A field of science with it's own core principles i.e Life in Biology, energy in Physics.

science (adjective) -> The use of the scientific method.

Of course. Look at what they did in Kenya. They found skulls of the oldest humans ever. If that isn't science, or not worth pursuing, I don't know what is. I myself don't want to be an archaeologist, but by all means, you people who do, go ahead

Of course, most of archeology consists of digging up some dead persons trash :p

It's not like we're pouring bucket loads of cash into the field, so as long as people go out there self motivated enough to dig up earth, the science is a worthy endeavor.

Of course, most of archeology consists of digging up some dead persons trash :p

Yes, it's awesome. Dead people's trash can tell you so much about people and their diets. Where did they get this food? Where they fishermen? Maybe they had trade routes with people who had these foods. Who else had these foods? So on, so forth.

Archeology rawks.

Back