Are graphics getting less realistic?

Do lighting effects such as HDR and bloom make graphics:

• More realistic

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • Less realistic

Votes: 17 11.6%

• Total voters
ríomhaire said:
Doesn't HDR work for Darkness aswell? Why haven't we seen Dark HDR shots?
High Dynamic Range Lighting...

And yes, of course it works on dark places too, but it requires a light source of some kind.

Real life bloom effects only last for about 0.5 seconds, and that's why every game has them implemented wrong; it just lasts too long.

Yeah.....GET OUTSIDE. I beg to differ.
I've been blinded for well over 5 seconds becuz of that damn light!

Wow. I thought I had sensitive eyes but even after days indoors, going outside was hardly a blinding experience. I just took a look at a new Lost Coast screenshot - [link] - and erm, I'm pretty sure they're doing something wrong. Anyways, if anyone thinks there's a game out there that does HDR well (or techdemos aside from rthdribl and ATi), could they mention it, 'cos I'd be interested in seeing it. Thanks.

ZoFreX said:
Wow. I thought I had sensitive eyes but even after days indoors, going outside was hardly a blinding experience. I just took a look at a new Lost Coast screenshot - [link] - and erm, I'm pretty sure they're doing something wrong. Anyways, if anyone thinks there's a game out there that does HDR well (or techdemos aside from rthdribl and ATi), could they mention it, 'cos I'd be interested in seeing it. Thanks.
Its a new technoledgy, they need to master the amount of time spent in a certain dark or light place in order to make the effect better, for example, the longer you say in darkness, takes longer to readjust to light.

go into a totaly dark room for 3 hours, come out into a bathroom light or something, you will see.

HDR is great, it adds a hudge aspect of realisim in the simulation of under and over exposure. But ultimately achieving even close to photorealism means implementing realistic depth of field passes, extra detailed environment's with mass's of high quality texturing, fluid dynamic's for water and photon simulation and accurate refraction and reflection properties of surface's, not to mention to complete the experiance.. simulating sound wave's for more realistic sound.

At the end of all that your computer would melt, so the target's are clear for superior computer's of the future, but hey its great because it might be coming sooner than we think because theyve just created the smallest electrical switch ever, known as the quantum photon emitter. Which would decrease heat, and make the most ridiculous processing speeds possible.

http://www.physorg.com/news6360.html

Sure, we're not on a straight traintrack that leads to a definitive "realism"... we deviate on our road, trying out alternative methods and experimenting. But with every major upgrade in graphics, we're getting closer and closer to what we see through our own eyes.

why are u all complaining its only the start of hdr in games its not going to be the best at first

Clarky..
the electronics will function at extremely low temperature -- 10 Kelvin, (-441 Fahrenheit, -263 Celsius).
10 KELVIN? HOLY SH*T. Thats close to absolute zero for sake! Of course absolute zero has been...unreachable that's pretty damn close to the lowest tempature possibe!

I mean WOW.

I know Minerel, Its nanotechnology , their almost there with it. We will very soon see the worlds first nanocomputing chip, that processes hundreds of times more information without heat dissapation to hinder its performance.

basically it will superseed modern computer technology, perhaps in the next 10 years we will see computers that will have massive lifespans and can deliver the power to process uber realistic games, computers like this will jump miles ahead of the technology used in modern games.

Minerel said:
Clarky..

10 KELVIN? HOLY SH*T. Thats close to absolute zero for sake! Of course absolute zero has been...unreachable that's pretty damn close to the lowest tempature possibe!

I mean WOW.
Is absolute zero the coldest temperature possible?

Minerel said:
Clarky..

I mean WOW.

Scientists got a cloud of sodium atoms to within half a billionth of a degree of absolute zero, about 450 picokelvin, in 2003

Suicide42 said:
with every major upgrade in graphics, we're getting closer and closer to what we see through our own eyes.

Games with HDR generally look better with HDR turned off, but I suppose it's unfair to compare graphics at the end of the old render path with those at the beginning of the new.

clarky003 said:
hey its great because it might be coming sooner than we think because theyve just created the smallest electrical switch ever, known as the quantum photon emitter. Which would decrease heat, and make the most ridiculous processing speeds possible.

http://www.physorg.com/news6360.html

Yeah, quantum computing is moving along. I bought a book on Quantum Electrodynamics today as a starter for understanding all this crap...

ríomhaire said:

Yup. Heat is atoms moving around, and at absolute zero, they stop moving. Or would if you could reach absolute zero (we can get pretty close though). According to the units converter on my phone, absolute zero is -273.15 Celsius or -459.67 Farenheit (or 0 Kelvin, conveniently enough :upstare: )

ktimekiller said:
Its a new technoledgy, they need to master the amount of time spent in a certain dark or light place in order to make the effect better, for example, the longer you say in darkness, takes longer to readjust to light.

go into a totaly dark room for 3 hours, come out into a bathroom light or something, you will see.

Good point.. so my game needs a decay curve that works both ways for exposure, I guess.

I think the main problem with HDR not matching what I see in real life (apart from the theory that my eyes are broken) is that HDR assumes that you are looking where the crosshair is to calculate exposure - but I spend half the time looking at other places on the screen. In real life, looking at something elsewhere (looking up at the sky, for instance) would change the exposure, so the sky stops being whited out, and so I never see it being whited out. Course in the game, unless I move the crosshair, the engine has no idea I've looked up, and so keeps the exposure as if I'm pointed dead centre. I suppose a camera tracking your eye movements would be the ideal way to deal with it? Any thoughts?

where is the "other oppinion, explained in post" option in the poll?

Scientists got a cloud of sodium atoms to within half a billionth of a degree of absolute zero, about 450 picokelvin, in 2003
Yes we have come extremely close, I know that. But we have not yet reached aboslute zero.

Anything above absolute 0, including 0.0000000000000000000000000000000001 is vibrating. All atoms are moving, thats what heat does. The hotter something is, the more each atom vibrates, the less heat the less it vibrates.
Absolute Zero means there is no heat at all and no vibration at all is taking place. Absolute Zero has never been reached, and may possibly never be reached. Though since we have gotton so close there is a state for it known as:
It's Bose-Einstein State.

It's so close that objects take on new proporities.

Minerel said:
Yes we have come extremely close, I know that. But we have not yet reached aboslute zero.

So why go all crazy over something 10K off absolute zero if you know other things have been colder? I'm confused. And tired.

theres no universal law that states games must become more realistic. as long as graphics get better and more impressive, thats all i want.

Right now, yes.
In the long run, no.
Look at this chart:
http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/3469/bs6yk.jpg
As you can see, visual realism in games is a constant roller coaster between what I like to call "art" and "real life".
The crappy first 3d games had horrible graphics, and looked silly compared to 2d ones. Today, due to gaming engines like Quake 3, 2d games are extinct, except for RoN, one of the best RTS created, which goes to show that 2D games still have a fighting spirit.
Now, instead of 3d being the new thing, its visual effects.
I despise the crappy plastic shinny look of people and enviroments in games like Doom 3, FEAR and HALO 2. Half Life 2 isn't as bad as the previous 3. In about 3-4 years, it will start looking nice again.
Whats next in the future? Most likely VR, which when released, will problaby have PS1 type graphics, but it will too improve in time. :thumbs:

So why go all crazy over something 10K off absolute zero if you know other things have been colder? I'm confused. And tired.
Because 10 Kelvin is EXTREMELY CLOSE to absolute zero. Yes things have been colder, but those have been in very controlled conditions in labs. Infact getting 10 Kelvin would be so cold, that well....trust me...you will never experince anything like that in your life.

It could be -200 Degrees Celcius and guess what....that still isn't 10 kelvin. You cannot survive in that tempature, no living thing could survive. It is that COLD. Antartica is like the ****ing desert when you compare them to eachother.

Minerel said:

There are some pretty solid practical reasons why we can't ever reach absolute zero (at least not without inventing a new way of cooling things).

French Ninja, you made a very good point :bounce:

Graphics getting less realistic in movies?

Are graphics getting less realistic in movies too?
Look at this HDR craziness!!!
2004_kill_bill_vol_2_003.jpg

2005_transporter2_007.jpg

2005_batman_begins_053.jpg

awards_2001_memento.jpg

Styloid, I've already said that you get a lot of blooming with cameras and that current implementations of HDR / bloom in games are pretty close to what you get on the movie screen... but not the human eye.

ZoFreX said:
Yes, I guess it is easy to take the piss rather than make a valid point. I'm just referring to a very recent trend of completely whited out skies and bloom on every lamp post that does not reflect what I see when I walk down the street.
Have you ever stepped out side?
THE SUN BLINDS YOU!!!!!!!!
HAVE YOU EVER DROVE A CAR ON A SUNNY DAY AND GOT GLARE IN YOUR EYES!!!!

THINK BEFORE YOU POST!!
THINK!
THINK!
THINK!!!

r2000 said:
Have you ever stepped out side?
THE SUN BLINDS YOU!!!!!!!!
HAVE YOU EVER DROVE A CAR ON A SUNNY DAY AND GOT GLARE IN YOUR EYES!!!!

THINK BEFORE YOU POST!!
THINK!
THINK!
THINK!!!

NO YOU tbh. Yes, the sun blinds me, and my windscreen aids glare... which is um, almost nothing to do with what we are talking about.

HDR simply seems unrealistic because it isn't used in its whole. And bloom seems unrealistic because the human eye adjusts under one second; in games it takes much longer or even worse, it doesn't adjust! You should see some of the DOD : S videos, the bloom changes under one second if you go from a dark alley to an open space.

i agree with zofrex.. at the minute the pics comparing hdr lighting and none hdr (like the cathedral in age of empires) looks totally unrealistic compared to when hdr is turned off. my whole family had a vote (half of us are artists) and we all chose the none hdr picture as being more photo realistic, for a start ive never seen light reflected off a wall like that.. and ive been to cathedrals all over the world. hdr has a very very long way to come. but i disagree about graphics getting worse.. they can only improve..
1 sad thing is now that hdr has been released over source i cant play source games. even with all settings on low and hdr turned off i will only get 20 fps TOPS!! and am more likely to suffer at 5 fps. not too long ago i was playing hl2 with around 40-50fps so i am v annoyed:flame: .. thankyou hdr for ruining the only games i play!:(

Back