ARMA 3

R.I.P Veggies
71Z1Qao.jpg

I knew his shitty ATV driving abilities would come back to haunt him.

I invented ATV ghost-riding so why don't you shove it.

Has anyone else been playing the Wasteland mod? It's great fun. I've been running it with Arma2 since most of my friends still just play that but it's on the alpha now too.

It's pvp centric but you can build your own bases to stash gear and vehicles in. There's missions that drop every 20 mins or so but for the most part it's just a sandbox.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why only one person goes through the teleporter at a time.

The creepy part is, is that whoever that abomination was, it wasn't any of us.

Friend sent me the alpha. I'm not sure if it's the game being buggy or conflicting controls, but I can't seem to keep the rifle on only using bullets, like if I stop moving and start again, it will randomly default to grenades. I tried fixing the control mapping conflicts and think I got all of them, but something's ****ing up.

Game reminds me of a much more complex S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

F is the default key to switch between fire modes (which includes grenade launcher). 'Fire mode' or something similar is the binding you should look to see if something's conflicting.

It yelled at me whenever I had a conflict within the same control category (infantry), but if it was a key in another category, it just ignored it!

Well, sometimes there is no real conflict if you have for example an infantry key bound to the same thing as a vehicle key, since only one could function at a time.

Hope the final version of the game fixes some of this though, overriding of actual conflicting controls seems like a no brainer.

What was the other thing you had bound to the same key as weapon mode?

Oh you're one of those ESDF weirdos?

So that wasn't creating a conflict? Weird. Someone who uses a different set of keys for movement should look through the bindings to make sure there's no conflict though. A game with as many keys as Arma is obviously going to have F bound to something by default, so you could have assumed it would create a conflict even if it didn't tell you.

It was creating the conflict and is no longer.

And you're clearly misunderstanding how this is supposed to happen.

See, you're supposed to use your clairvoyance to detect that this would happen and tell everyone beforehand that there would be control conflicts in this game because they didn't bother to have something that basic working properly. But I do get that this game is supposed to be as hard to access as possible, you know, to keep it off the mainstream. At least until someone comes up with a zombie mod.

It was creating the conflict and is no longer.

And you're clearly misunderstanding how this is supposed to happen.

See, you're supposed to use your clairvoyance to detect that this would happen and tell everyone beforehand that there would be control conflicts in this game because they didn't bother to have something that basic working properly. But I do get that this game is supposed to be as hard to access as possible, you know, to keep it off the mainstream. At least until someone comes up with a zombie mod.
Report bugs.

Already done. Also some graphical issues, like highlighting enemy positions when there is no enemy there. When's the game due for launch (if there is one)?

No date in specific yet, but its not for several months.

Already done. Also some graphical issues, like highlighting enemy positions when there is no enemy there. When's the game due for launch (if there is one)?
What highlighting are you referring to? If you mean the target reticles that appear when your squad leader gives you a target, those will cease to be accurate when said target is out of sight, and will then become last known or guesswork positions based on their last seen movement.

My first impression after playing the alpha lite for an hour is, "I CAN'T HIT SHIT!" Turns out, shooting is hard.

I'm wondering if that's some clipping issue with the bullet. I was able to snipe something ridiculously far away but if there were some tree leaves or a bush then it didn't seem to penetrate.

Will the full version of the game have some marksmanship training? It'd be nice if there were some way I could see where my bullets were landing so I can learn how to correct for wind and gravity instead of "Welp, guess that's not hitting him?"

Maybe it's a graphics option, but mine usually make dust get thrown where they land. Even the water :|

Will the full version of the game have some marksmanship training? It'd be nice if there were some way I could see where my bullets were landing so I can learn how to correct for wind and gravity instead of "Welp, guess that's not hitting him?"
Every Arma game has had a shooting range in some form or another. Plus I'm sure someone will make a shooting range mission for the Alpha, if they haven't already. There are dozens for arma 2.
You can also easily make your own in the editor by plopping down some targets in the shooting range area of the map, in the north-east I believe. The beauty of a game with a mission editor!

Shooting is difficult in the Arma series, and I think with the new changes to the recoil since A2 it's the most difficult yet. You will get better as you play of course, as you slowly gain skill in judging distances and predicting bullet drop and travel time. Take note of what your weapon is zeroed at in the top right panel. Most non-optical sights are zeroed at 300m. The optical scopes have markers indicating ranges. Wind is not actually a factor in shooting, though the ACE mod will likely change this.

Usually there is a puff if dust when your rounds hit, it can be hard to see sometimes though. It may also only happen for certain weapons? If there isn't any marksman training then I'm sure a custom mission will pop up soon enough, in fact there may be one already.

EDIT: I should refresh my tab before posting.

The second of Dslyecxi's introductory guides went up yesterday. It touches briefly on shooting if you're interested.

Oh yeah I forgot to post that. It's a pretty great video that goes over some good things that new players should be aware of, that are really pretty necessary in a game like this. And anyone who plays with us should be familiar with bounding overwatch, because we definitely don't do it enough.

So is the alpha getting incremental updates to fix problems? Or are we stuck with this same version until the beta comes out in a few months.

There was talk of them using the inbuilt steam beta system for incremental updates. I don't think it has happened yet, though I believe the ALPHA has updated once or twice since launch.

You can opt in to the development version of the Alpha by right clicking on the game in steam. They're not done testing fixes in there yet to push it to the main build.

You can find status updates in this thread: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?149636-Development-branch-changelog

According to that, they tried pushing a version but it had game-breaking bugs so they're delaying to past the weekend, so it should be soon.

I don't see anything in those fixes about being able to hear other players' weapon noises. One of the more annoying bugs at the moment.

As far as I know, the gunfire sound bug only applies to the Khatiba.

Nope, I've been in games with you guys where I couldn't hear MX variants either.

And also some guy is working on this mod that makes diving like, hyper realistic. Weird, but this image tickles my nerd parts: http://www.armaholic.com/datas/users/izsyrg40ckvht_4.png

As a certified diver who was disappointed by how easy-mode the diving was in the alpha lite, I welcome this mod (though maybe having to deal with, say, diving weights and a buoyancy control device might be taking it too far)

Agreed. I'm a certified diver as well, so I found some of the features of this mod really neat, especially the fast ascension warning. I must say they nailed the sounds of diving though, that's more or less what it sounds like down there.

I'd love to get into diving, I can't help but feel like I'd panic in a real life situation though.

Recommending this mod that lets you repack your magazines to consolidate bullets to the fewest amount of magazines. Initiate with Ctrl + Reload

It looks really well done. The magazines are packed one type at a time, and there's a handy status indicator that shows what you're accomplishing, like this: [15,16,12,5,3] >> [20,20,11]

You can also perform this action while in a passenger seat in any vehicle. You can hit space to skip to the next mag, or move to cancel the operation (but your progress of course is not undone)

Requires CBA.

Back