ARMA 3

What is confusing about clicking Play > Multiplayer?

Once you're there the server list will be fetched and you can join a game provided it's not passworded, full, or using mods you don't have. If you don't see any servers, try clicking in the top right to change from LAN to internet. Though internet should be default.

I must say though, joining random multiplayer servers doesn't lead to the best experiences. Unless you're into Wasteland. But even then, it's better to be in a voip client with some friends to play with. You're welcome to play with us, though we have no predictable schedule.

well I join the server but I can't seem to spawn.
I'm gonna try again right now to refresh my memory on where I get stuck.

ok managed to join a wasteland server...no idea what to do.
I guess I'll be watching some youtube on how to properly play this game

Wasteland isn't a great starting point, it's pvp and you'll probably just be killed by some asshole before you even manage to find a decent gun. Domination is possibly a better place to jump in, since it's coop and you can pretty much do whatever you want (short of team killing) without anyone caring. There's a few things you have to know though, both about the game in general and about the mission in specific. You'll notice that a lot of missions have extra things added in that aren't in the base game, like scripts to allow you to respawn/be revived in certain ways, or a different interface for taking gear, things like that. 90% of the time this stuff is pretty intuitive and you don't really need to pay attention to it, but sometimes it pays to look into it a bit. For instance, it's pretty crucial to know about the mobile respawn in Domi.

Edit: This guy's channel has some helpful vids. https://www.youtube.com/user/Dslyecxi

Stratis is way too small for a proper Wasteland experience. Half the time I get killed within 30 seconds of spawning

That was a really fun night. Too bad you didn't get Morgs' epic survival spree.

At one point we had all piled our cars on top of him, and when we thought he was dead for sure, he managed to hop into someone's car who had hopped out and drove off safely.

Shit, i meant to include that part but forgot to export that section with it. Uploading it now. It didn't play out exactly as you thought.

Hopped out of the driver's seat, then.

Also why can't you get your FRAPS to record your mic like I can.

7aUbOPw.jpg

Release date for the full game is September 12th.

They have removed the singleplayer campaign from the launch, and will add it later in three episodes. Can't say I am bothered about that myself, getting the main island and all the units is the important news.

*suffers mysterious spasms after using the words "three" and "episodes" in the same sentence*

If they need more time for the campaign, they can have it. The Arma II campaign was the worst shit I ever played

Damn, only a month until Altis? To hell with the campaign, then.

Releases right in the middle of my final project in school. Great!

I'm glad they're not letting the campaign hold the game back though. They appeared to have learned a lot from previous campaigns according to the interview I read on PC Gamer, so we'll see.

Hooray for launch day!

I like the re purposed Flashpoint music towards the end.

I'd be more excited but I'm up to my eyes in schoolwork, due in 13 hours.

I caught the OFP influence as well, made me smile.

I'd be more excited too, but I'm up to my eyes in not having computer. Parts due in 24 hours.

I'd be more excited tootoo, but I'm up to my eyes in all the goddamn sun flares in EVERY screenshot and video. WE GET IT, IT'S SUNNY ON ALTIS.

Artificial intelligence is still terrible, but otherwise great game!

rofl they had to put an Inception blare in there didn't they.

At least they didn't Battlefield 3-ify the old theme.

Since this thread was bumped by a spambot, I figured I would post this hilarious video.

Turn on English subtitles.

Awesome video by Dslyecxi demonstrating the bullet penetration of various calibres through various materials. Starts out a little slow but later on shows some cool eye candy (and taught me that I'm not as safe as I thought I was)

I will begin posting changelogs for my missions so everyone can keep up. Feel free to post suggestions.

2013/11/18:

TVT16 Emergency Surgery v03a

Improvements:

-added locked vehicles in front of hospital
-added Opfor Ifrit in front of hospital
-loadout: AI and players start equipped with flashlights and chemlights only if night selected
-certain AI have flashlights forced on if at night
-AI loadout: improved Opfor loadout
-player loadout: gave Indfor and Blufor AT capabilities
-player loadout: streamlined Indfor and Blufor loadout: less excessive grenades
-player loadout: fixed unit editor init loadout duplication bug

Future goals:

-add random civilians
-randomise some AI placement

Anyone know when more than 50 players will be possible?

I played with over something ridiculous like 128 on some crazy EU server in alpha

The notion of max 50 players probably results from what missions usually have that many people in them. Namely, wasteland, RPG, team deathmatches with tons of scripts. All of these missions are poorly optimized and/or have a load of scripting going on, and the more people you shove into them the worse it gets. It also gets worse over time, requiring frequent server restarts.

The same was true in Arma 2. Shitty mission = shitty performance. I played 80-player coop missions in Arma 2 as if it was 5 people. Rest assured BIS didn't **** up their netcode in the transition to Arma 3.

We've actually been playing this mod on 50 player servers and still don't run into other players very often. Altis is big.

The notion of max 50 players probably results from what missions usually have that many people in them. Namely, wasteland, RPG, team deathmatches with tons of scripts. All of these missions are poorly optimized and/or have a load of scripting going on, and the more people you shove into them the worse it gets. It also gets worse over time, requiring frequent server restarts.

The same was true in Arma 2. Shitty mission = shitty performance. I played 80-player coop missions in Arma 2 as if it was 5 people. Rest assured BIS didn't **** up their netcode in the transition to Arma 3.
Ah, that makes sense. Someone told me that there was a hard cap on the game, but I guess that's not the case.

We've actually been playing this mod on 50 player servers and still don't run into other players very often. Altis is big.

I've been playing Breaking Point the last couple of days too. I'm really enjoying it so far. I actually really like how big Altis is - I love that feeling of isolation. I'm hoping they add some weather variation but I'm really digging the gloomy sky

2013/11/21

TVT07 Black Lagoon v01f

Improvements:

-monster: added ability to teleport to a random location 20m away
-monster: added sound to attack ability on hit
-monster: no longer spawns with watch, radio, compass
-monster: loses items on death
-survivors: moved Gerard so he no longer spawns right next to the campfire
-survivors: added dog mode on respawn
-survivors: made compasses spooky
-spectator UI, options, visuals, and timing improvements
-added menu loading image
-bug fix: monster drops weapons properly

Goals:

-bug fix: survivors don't spawn with GPS

Don't know if anyone still comes here but...

http://www.bistudio.com/english/company/developers-blog/460-arma-3-roadmap-201415

Outline of confirmed plans for the year ahead (there are more features, but BIS has learned to not share only potential future features):
  • Optimization and bug-fixing remains an ongoing priority, including large-scale MP performance
  • Steam Workshop integration for mods should begin at the end of this month, and a native "launcher" program that lets you select launch options and mods instead of using command line
  • DLC will bring engine enhancements which are free and automatic for everyone, but the content itself (vehicles weapons etc) are what you pay for
  • A full on expansion late this year that will not be a standalone game like Arrowhead was, and they've already chosen a location for a brand new terrain
  • Engine enhancements in the DLC will include optional more realistic helicopter operation (a la TkoH), sling loading for helicopters, overhauled shooting mechanics (very curious what this will be like), and ... drumroll please... shooting from vehicles!!!

I wonder if they'll get some more of their imprisoned in lieu of the expansion pack. Great PR.

I wonder if they'll get some more of their imprisoned in lieu of the expansion pack. Great PR.

The first time I went to greece in 08 I was warned not to take pictures of any soldiers or military installations. I'm guessing they had maps and notes about the bases that were on the island and things like that. I can see how it would look suspicious, but I would think that being game developers would make it pretty clear what they were up to. At least they were given rights and it sounds like they were treated relatively fairly. I'm not surprised it took so long for them to get released, though. Things move pretty slowly there

Back