Armageddon sequel...

Dynasty

Space Core
Reaction score
...nah not really, but they may aswell just called it 'Armageddon 2'

Just got back from the cinema where i watched Premonition, and saw this trailer (well, without the speaking, and writing saying that every second a sun dies somewhere in the universe, and in 2007 its ours).

Its called Sunshine, looks pretty good imo.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdiIxTVzUPU[/YOUTUBE]

This is the new Danny Boyle film, been excited about it ever since I first saw a trailer a while back. Looks to be better than Armageddon, particulary given Boyle's other work.

Seeing as how Boyle isn't a whore like Bay, I expect this to be pretty good.

This will be great.

Any film with Lux Aeterna in the trailer is guaranteed to be great.

Might be a good film, but what a crap trailer. Showing a montage of the crew members dieing, mixed with Requiem music, with no explanation to how their going to reignite the sun doesn't sell a movie to me.

Might be a good film, but what a crap trailer. Showing a montage of the crew members dieing, mixed with Requiem music, with no explanation to how their going to reignite the sun doesn't sell a movie to me.

Since when does a good trailer need to explain its mechanics? I mean, I guess they'll use... fire? Of some kind? Throwing out a wild guess here.

Hydrogen maybe? That's what the sun is made up of right?

Anyway, sounds interesting.

im guessing they're going to use some kind of nuclear weapon . although that wouldnt explain why they had to travel so close to the surface...hmmm.

Yeah, I don't like knowing who is going to die in a movie before I watch it...meh.

But I'll probably download it , or go see it in the theaters if I'm bored.

Not saying it looks like a crap movie, but the standards of quality I have for games ranks up there with 300 if I'm going to pay 7.50 for them.

Armageddon + The Core + Over-used Requiem music - Me seeing it = This movie.

Off-topic: Did anybody else think of the Arrested Development bit "Armageddon 2: Armageddon....that's a bad title" when they read the thread title?

Hmm, similarities to Armageddon. Let me see.

They are in a spaceship.

Yeah, forget the vastly superior cast, director and writers, this is obviously a rip off of Armageddon HURRRRRRRRR!!!

Looks good. Well, ok the trailer didn't really *look* that captivating to be honest but it sounds good. I have a feeling this one has more similarites with Event Horizon than Armageddon.

It's amusing reading rants about the movie being R-rated from teens on the IMDB message board. Hopefully, the fact that Sunshine is rated R means that MAYBE, just MAYBE, the film makers were more concerned with making a decent movie than ticket sales.

Hmm, similarities to Armageddon. Let me see.

They are in a spaceship.

Yeah, forget the vastly superior cast, director and writers, this is obviously a rip off of Armageddon HURRRRRRRRR!!!

-Exploding sun : end of the world. Humanity sends the best up to stop it from happening (or something). Just replace the comet with a sun.

-Looks like everybody/almost everyone dies

Typical armageddon wannabe movie by the looks of things.

...Why are you people such idiots. And by "you people" I mean naysayers in this topic.

HAY GUYS, LOOK. "THE GRAY ZONE" HAS JEWS IN A GAS CHAMBER. WTF WHY IS TIM BLAKE NELSON RIPPING OFF "SCHINDLER'S LIST".

I never said it was a ripoff :|

I was saying it has elements of Armageddon:

-Large object in space that will destroy humanity
-Send a team with some humorous characters to bring levity (Chris Evans)
-Use spaceship to go to this object and do something crazy to avert disaster while losing lots of the team in the process

And it has elements of the Core:

-Sun/Core is dying and we need to jumpstart it
-Use specially made craft to get through extreme heat
-Most of movie's conflicts (barring at least 1-2 human conflicts probably surround problems with said craft due to said heat

EDIT: I'm just burnt out on these disaster, end of the world type movies for the most part. Watching the trailer it just seems like everything people see in a Bay film - Bay.

-Large object in space that will destroy humanity
That's kind of vague and can apply to just about anything. That's like saying just because in Armageddon a huge astroid was about to destroy earth and in a another movie a giant clown balloon is going to destroy earth, the two movies are the same.

-Send a team with some humorous characters to bring levity (Chris Evans)
Nobody likes a long ass tragic movie. All great movies have bits of comedy in it to give the audience a chance to rest (Batman Begins: Alfred smashing a mask and saying "In the meantime, try not to land on your head").

-Use spaceship to go to this object
To my knowledge, spacships are the only thing that can travel into space that humans can pilot. I don't think it would be very effective to launch and elevator into space with people in it.

and do something crazy to avert disaster while losing lots of the team in the process
That's what makes it exciting.

And ĐynastҰ, what's with the freakn' misleading title? Don't be a douche. Can't you just say something like "A new movie similar to armageddon...?"

Looks interesting, I love disaster flicks.

It still looks to me like theres something weirder going on in this movie than a simple save the world movie. A lot of shots in that trailer don't look like they actually take place on a space ship.

You people act like Armageddon and The Core were the first films ever to deal with their subject material :|.

Once again, I will say this. Danny Boyle, director of Trainspotting, 28 Days Later, Millions with Alex Garland writer of 28 Days Later, author of critically acclaimed novels.

Seeing their previous track record, I like to think this will be above average :|.

Hell, the director's even said the movie isn't really about igniting the sun, but the characters and their own lives.

From what i've read I think its going to be more Event Horizon (or even 2001) than Armageddon.

That's kind of vague and can apply to just about anything. That's like saying just because in Armageddon a huge astroid was about to destroy earth and in a another movie a giant clown balloon is going to destroy earth, the two movies are the same.

If they're both in space they share similarities which is what I was saying :| I never said they were the same. You're just making that part up.

Nobody likes a long ass tragic movie. All great movies have bits of comedy in it to give the audience a chance to rest (Batman Begins: Alfred smashing a mask and saying "In the meantime, try not to land on your head").

To my knowledge, spacships are the only thing that can travel into space that humans can pilot. I don't think it would be very effective to launch and elevator into space with people in it.

That's what makes it exciting.

And ĐynastҰ, what's with the freakn' misleading title? Don't be a douche. Can't you just say something like "A new movie similar to armageddon...?"

...once again...I said the movie shares ELEMENTS of the other two movies I listed. I never said this movie was a ripoff. Nor did I say anywhere in my posts that the elements used are negative things in movies. I merely said I was burnt out on disaster movies (mainly because most of them are formulaic). No need to get so defensive over a movie :|

EDIT:

You people act like Armageddon and The Core were the first films ever to deal with their subject material :|.

Nope, just mentioning them because they're the first 2 movies that came to mind when I saw this trailer.

Could be a good character piece of it's more about the poeple on board and worth a watch, much like 28 days later was more about survival and human bonding/tribalism than killing off loads of zombies (or zombielike rage monkeys if you want to be pedantic).

However the trailer is complete cack and probably doesn't do the film any justice at this point, as is the premise of the film itself.

It still looks to me like theres something weirder going on in this movie than a simple save the world movie. A lot of shots in that trailer don't look like they actually take place on a space ship.

I agree...I think there may be another level to this movie. Might be wrong, but would be interestin if there was...

I never said it was a ripoff :|

My comment was directed more towards Dynasty.

From what I'm seeing in the trailer and hearing from people, the "save the sun" idea is more of a backdrop for the narrative and not as much as the focal point. Just like 28 Days Later only used the zombie infection as a backdrop for the depravity man can turn to in desparation.

Double posting, stfu.

"Fifty years into the future, the sun is failing, causing the Earth to begin dying out. A spacecraft with a crew of eight men and women is launched as a last hope,[2] carrying a dark matter-filled bomb the size of Kansas in order to re-ignite part of the sun. Seven years prior, a similar ship had been launched for the same mission, but contact was lost with the ship.[3] When the crew of eight move toward the sun and out of radio contact with Earth, they experience accidents and discover the distress beacon of the ship that had been missing for seven years.[2] At the end of their journey, the crew encounters the source of all life in our solar system.[3]" - Wikipedia

Come on, guys. If you want accuse it of being derivative, at least try to maintain some accuracy. You should be accusing it of ripping off Mission To Mars instead of Armageddon.

"Fifty years into the future, the sun is failing, causing the Earth to begin dying out. A spacecraft with a crew of eight men and women is launched as a last hope,[2] carrying a dark matter-filled bomb the size of Kansas in order to re-ignite part of the sun. Seven years prior, a similar ship had been launched for the same mission, but contact was lost with the ship.[3] When the crew of eight move toward the sun and out of radio contact with Earth, they experience accidents and discover the distress beacon of the ship that had been missing for seven years.[2] At the end of their journey, the crew encounters the source of all life in our solar system.[3]" - Wikipedia

That sounds much better than the trailer made it seem.

Double posting, stfu.

Come on, guys. If you want accuse it of being derivative, at least try to maintain some accuracy. You should be accusing it of ripping off Mission To Mars instead of Armageddon.

I'm liking the way the movie is looking...

I saw a VERY early cut of this film on work experience with practically no visual effects finished and I must say, even without music and effects and some scenes missing, this film is gonna be fantastic. :E

That sounds much better than the trailer made it seem.

it makes me think of Event Horizon somewhat....ships out in space, one loses contact, another moves in to check it out and then all hell breaks loose.

In the trailer for Sunshine you can see a 'beast' figure in several frames. He looks like a person who has been severally burned...I'm guessing that's part of the old crew?

The second trailer and sypnosis make the film look a lot more promising, but why doesn't humanity send more ships with the bombs, just in case the other ones don't make it. Instead of sending a singular ship every seven years, send 4 ships out, and the chances of success are higher. Same problem with the Core.

Back