ATI vs. nVidia whos got better image quality?

spamboo

Reaction score
so it seems to me that alot, if not most, people like ATI's cards over nVidia's. but i was reading a pc gamer artical saying that nVidia's FX series had better image quality over ATI, at the sacrafice of a few FPS. But most of my friends say there is no quality differance and that ATI is just better. so eather pc gamers right and every one is just ATI's bitch (no offence i do realize that it is personal preferance, FPS vs. image quality). or pc gamer is just wrong and nVidia has made me their bitch with some stupid "we have better image quality" mumbo jumbo that they use to sell cards, 'cuz they cant match ATI's performence. i have a 256 FX5600 and i like it, i would jusy like to know if i got what i thought i payed for. better image quality but still fast FPS.

ATi Radeon 9800 > nVidia 5900 in terms of IQ and Anti-Aliasing quality. For sure.

If you read any of the reviews of the latest cards e.g., the 9800 and 5900... the reviews are saying ATi has better image quality, part of it having to do with better AA and AF.

ATI looks and runs better at this point. But things like this are always changeing. Who knows, but i think they need to make an 8 pipeline version of the radeon9600 pro and call it god of the gpu's.

ATI has the best, but the difference has become smaller with the FX 5900.

Originally posted by pinkerton
ATI looks and runs better at this point. But things like this are always changeing. Who knows, but i think they need to make an 8 pipeline version of the radeon9600 pro and call it god of the gpu's.

And 256bit memory. But that would cost alot to make.
But R420 will be made on a 0.13 process. And it's said to become a monster, so the logical thing is that it has 256 bit memory and/or 8 pipelines.

8 pipelines will become the standard quickly....

Call me stupid (because I am), but what exactly is a pipeline and how many does the 5900 have and how many does the 9800 Pro have? I'm guessing it has something to do with the GPU.

9800 has 8 pipelines. Don't know about anything else.

Originally posted by Miasma
Call me stupid (because I am), but what exactly is a pipeline and how many does the 5900 have and how many does the 9800 Pro have? I'm guessing it has something to do with the GPU.

I'm not really shure what purpose they serve either, but I know that the 9800PRO and 5900 both have 8.
One thing I know though, is that a card with 4 pipelines ain't that strong with AA and AF.

The number of pipelines determines how much can be going on simutainouslyly.

IE: say you have 500 bullets to fire. You will fire them alot faster if you have 8 guns firing them rather than jsut 4.

ATI has better image quality especially with aa and af turned up. no comparison

peopel always uder estimate ati whjen it comes ot vid cards im happy that peeps are fianly respecting ati with there new 9800 pro serires

Originally posted by Miasma

You arent stupid, just under learned. Pipelines are where the information is rendered. thats about as straight forward as i can explain it with going into too much detail. Good question though.

Originally posted by A.A
And 256bit memory. But that would cost alot to make.
But R420 will be made on a 0.13 process. And it's said to become a monster, so the logical thing is that it has 256 bit memory and/or 8 pipelines.

Yeah, ive seen overclocks in this bad boy. A radeon 9500 pro has 8 pipelines. The 9600 pro has 4. The 9600 is weaker because of this, but when clock at 750/450(about) they preformed about the same, all with stock cooling. Double the pipelines, 256 bit momory, and you have somthing probally much faster than a 9800.

ATI = Better Antialiasing

Nvidia = Better Anisotropic filtering

Depends what you want.

In the long run nvidia has better image quality imo

Originally posted by pinkerton
Yeah, ive seen overclocks in this bad boy. A radeon 9500 pro has 8 pipelines. The 9600 pro has 4. The 9600 is weaker because of this, but when clock at 750/450(about) they preformed about the same, all with stock cooling. Double the pipelines, 256 bit momory, and you have somthing probally much faster than a 9800.

That I knew.
But an overclocked 9500PRO is better. But to overklock a 9500PRO you need to flash the bios, that's just to much for some (like me =P ).
Yes.
But think about what the cost would be...

Originally posted by Shockwave
ATI = Better Antialiasing

Nvidia = Better Anisotropic filtering

Depends what you want.

In the long run nvidia has better image quality imo

Nvidia doesn't have better anisotropic filtering, at 8x on both nividia looks better, but the 16x on the radeons is better looking.
=D

either way both look good, but most people will tell you ati looks better, really it depends on your taste.

Back