Nvidia is faster then Ati in Halflife2?

Razor

Spy
Reaction score
http://discuss.futuremark.com/forum...page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=all&vc=1

I would of linked to the actual benchmark but i couldn't get it to run properly. Xbit have put up a review of CounterStrike: Source, comparing all the graphics cards to see how they stack up against each other in cs:s. Nvidia, with their drivers, are now running equal with Ati's fastest cards, and in some places, even the 6800non-ultra is running as fast as the x800xtpe.

I know this should of probably gone in the Counter Strike forums, but i was more wanting to know how these figures compare with how Halflife2 will run, using the new Nvidia drivers that are coming out. Will Halflife2 and CounterStrike: Source have comparable image quality and frame rates?

It could just be me but those graphs don't look right, in one example the 9800XT beats all other cards?!? Weird. It's interesting what someone said on that forum, stating that the X800XT is a "souped up" 9800 core, is that true??

they are pretty close. sometimes the 6800ultra wins, but sometimes the xtpe wins. i think its a good thing.

image quality is very similar, although nvidias implementation of AA and AF is not quite as good as atis.

As long as the game looks better than HL1 with my GPU, I'm happy :p

poseyjmac said:
they are pretty close. sometimes the 6800ultra wins, but sometimes the xtpe wins. i think its a good thing.

image quality is very similar, although nvidias implementation of AA and AF is not quite as good as atis.

I think Nvidia has slightly superiour Anisotropic filtering, and Ati has slightly better Anti Aliasing.

In it's basic form, the x800 is just a very beefed up 9800, yes.

The reason you see the 9800xt beating the 6800ultra and the x800xt, is because some of the tests are cpu limited. This means that no matter how powerful your graphics card is, they should all be getting roughly the same frame rate, which is what you can see.

It bodes very well for Nvidia, especially if this means that Halflife2 and not just Counterstrike: Source performance looks like that, as Halflife2 was Ati's champion game, Doom3 being Nvidia's.

Yeah I've noticed that in regards to Nvidias AF and ATIs AA too.
I know the 9800 series were incredibly solid, but...Isn't it a little slack to keep the same core for a next gen card? I'm impartial towards Nvidia and ATI even though I own two ATI cards. You would think that because the 6800 core is brand spankin' new it has more future potential than the X800 right? I mean can you compare the architecture of the two to find a superior one? Or isn't it like an apples to apples comparison?

Kazuki_Fuse said:
Yeah I've noticed that in regards to Nvidias AF and ATIs AA too.
I know the 9800 series were incredibly solid, but...Isn't it a little slack to keep the same core for a next gen card? I'm impartial towards Nvidia and ATI even though I own two ATI cards. You would think that because the 6800 core is brand spankin' new it has more future potential than the X800 right? I mean can you compare the architecture of the two to find a superior one? Or isn't it like an apples to apples comparison?
Why should ati reinvent the wheel if the one ati has rolls better than nvidias? :) I dont think its a bad thing if the x800 can score as high as the gf6, even with a smaller heatsink and older core
:cheers:

Back