Is my problem this obvious?!

XenoBuzz

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've posted twice here recently very politely requesting information that could lead to the solution of my Black Screen on game startup issues that occurred very recently. The first time I got responses, but none that actually pertained to my problem. The second post was completely ignored.

I've searched the internet a number of times looking for a solution, but could not find very much information about my specific issue, much less a fix. I hoped that by coming to a forum like this that I could find assistance.

So, is my particular issue with the game one of those really old issues that everybody knows how to fix but me, or am I pissin' into the wind by hoping that some kind tech ranger would deign to help a neophyte such as I?

For the final time, here is the issue I'm experiencing:

I bought the DVD version of HL2 a few years ago and played it quite a few times without any problems at all.

Despite that, I wanted to check out Episodes I and II. I bought them a couple weeks ago and had no problems downloading, installing or running them. I also tried the Unreal Tournament 3 demo, no probs. I got Lost Coast when it was first released and it also played fine. Encouraged by that, I also downloaded Source and Deathmatch: Source.

In my first game of Deathmatch: Source I played for a few minutes until (I think) all the other players switched to a new map and the current game quit and I was back to my desktop.

HOWEVER, after that all my Steam games load to a black screen. I can tell that the game is running because I can move the mouse around and hear the highlight noise for the menu buttons.

Neither rebooting the game or comp worked. I deleted Source and Deathmatch: Source (and Unreal Tournament 3 because it didn't interest me) and that didn't work (also rebooted after deletion). Looked online for solutions but couldn't find anything except something about a DirectX button which I don't seem to have with my version of the program (I have DirectX 10).

My PC specs:

Intel 2 Duo
Vista SP2
Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS

I've checked that all my sound, video and monitor drivers are up to date and have made no software or hardware changes of any kind. I don't mess with my comp if it's workin'!

Dave S.

The fact that you've had no real response for 3 threads suggests that no one knows the solution?

You could try setting the game to a basic 1028*840 resolution before running it. It could be that the game is in a resolution/mode that your computer dosen't support. If you search google, you will find launch parameters to do this.

Try running any of the Steam games windowed. Right click the game in your 'my games' list go to properties, look for the launch parameters button and add -windowed

Thank you, Glenn & Hectic

Both of your suggestions worked, but now I have another mystery for you!

The windowed setting worked, but I was disappointed that I couldn't manually adjust the windows size.

Forcing the resolution worked perfectly, but now, even though I deleted the windowed command from the launch (and rebooted afterwards), the games still load in windowed mode (except for Ep I for some reason). The upshot is that the window can be expanded, but I'd still prefer an unbordered screen.

Any thoughts?

Dave S.

There are a couple options. I believe some of the Source games have the ability to disable windowed mode by ticking / unticking a box in the options menu (while in game).

I know this works for L4D and Team Fortress 2, you can add another launch command -noborder which essentially runs window mode without the border edge. (via the launch options like you did with the windowed command)

Lastly the config.cfg files for each game may now have the setting for launching the game in windowed mode each time the game starts. Check in your Steam folder for the various games. e.g. C: Steam\steamapps\username\team fortress 2\tf\cfg for TF2. If there is an obvious command at the end of the .cfg file forcing windowed mode. Like 'windowed 1', change the 1 to a 0, or delete it and save the file after.

Back