ATTENTION: Read this before posting upgrade questions/'Will my PC run HL2?' questions

Axyon

Reaction score
Due to the influx of "Should I upgrade" threads recently, I have decided to post the minimum and recommended specifications for Half-Life 2 in this topic.

The current information we have regarding the minimum specifications needed for HL2 are:

1.2 GHz Processor
256MB RAM
DirectX 7 graphics card

Recommended specifications are as follows:

2.4 GHz Processor
512MB RAM
DirectX 9 graphics card

Please use this thread for any upgrade questions and for any questions regarding how well your PC will run Half-Life2; at what resolution, what FPS etc

Get some glue here! Lets make this a sticky one.

Is not the minimum a 700mhz and not a 800mhz ?

Originally posted by Sat
Is not the minimum a 700mhz and not a 800mhz ?

Most recent mentioned was an 800Mhz processor, changed from the 700Mhz. Gabe said in an interview a bit ago.

I'm gettin an GF 4 TI 4800 128mb hopefully that will run it on medium :)

that will easily run the game on medium prolly. if u need a gf4 for best visuals, you will be able to run it w/ everything maxed

I have an Athlon 2000+ (1.7Ghz), 768MB DDR, a 9800 Pro, will it make up for my slow processor speed? I mean will I be able to run the game on BEST with my config?

Originally posted by nsxownzme
I have an Athlon 2000+ (1.7Ghz), 768MB DDR, a 9800 Pro, will it make up for my slow processor speed? I mean will I be able to run the game on BEST with my config?

My estimate is probably. AMD 2600+ processors are very cheap these days, though. Plus you could always try an overclock if it's not the best quality, but my bet is if it isn't the absolute top, it'll be very close to that.

Didn't you remember that he said that they have it able to scale up to degrees that are not currently available on modern graphics cards, as in to allow for expansion after its released, i sincerely doubt you will be able to run it at BEST i doubt anyone will be able to.

Originally posted by Aethaecyn
Didn't you remember that he said that they have it able to scale up to degrees that are not currently available on modern graphics cards, as in to allow for expansion after its released, i sincerely doubt you will be able to run it at BEST i doubt anyone will be able to.

Don't be so pedantic, you know he meant "best" graphics that are available on the release of the game.

2ghz cpu, 512mb, geforce4 for best visuals, thats sounds about right. Bring on Hl2, I'm ready.

i have a P4 1.8ghz 512 ram G4 Ti 4200... Will that run HL2 at a good setting?? and does anyone know the safest OC numbers for the 4200?? i know you can overclock it to certain clock speeds without any trouble because it is the most stable card for OC'ing.... and im thinking of either buying a ATI Radeon 9800 pro(256mb) or the GeForce FX 5900 (256mb?) (to be prepared for games to come) but i heard that the GFX still takes up two slots... also i heard that HL2 is optimized for ATI.. is that true? thx

Re: ATTENTION: Read this before posting upgrade questions!

Originally posted by Abom|nation
Due to the influx of "Should I upgrade" threads recently, I have decided to post the minimum and recommended specifications for Half-Life 2 in this topic.

The current information we have regarding the minimum specifications needed for HL2 are:

"At least a Pentium 800Mhz and a DX6 (Direct-X)-class video card."

On top of that, I'd take an estimate of 128mb of RAM being the absolute minimum that the game will run on.

Recommended specifications are as follows:

"...A Pentium 2Ghz and Geforce 4 for the best visuals."

If you want the game running smoothly, I'd recommend having at least 512mb of RAM. This is just my opinion.

The specifications above may also be subject to change as the game changes. The specs may go down, they may go up.

Thankyou.

-Abom

[Added]

Alternatively, this thread could be used as a designated topic for upgrade questions, to keep the clutter of the Hardware forum down.

I know Gabes word takes priority, but I would like to add that the presskit states 700mhz as the minimum.

Originally posted by Iced_Eagle
i have a P4 1.8ghz 512 ram G4 Ti 4200... Will that run HL2 at a good setting?? and does anyone know the safest OC numbers for the 4200?? i know you can overclock it to certain clock speeds without any trouble because it is the most stable card for OC'ing.... and im thinking of either buying a ATI Radeon 9800 pro(256mb) or the GeForce FX 5900 (256mb?) (to be prepared for games to come) but i heard that the GFX still takes up two slots... also i heard that HL2 is optimized for ATI.. is that true? thx

I belive it will run good for you.
One slot.
The 9800PRO is the card you should get.
That's BS.

Will Half Life 2 run well on high quality, shdows and bump mapping with 800x600 resoltion.

My PC:
Windows XP pro
AMD 2100+
RAM-512 MB DDR PC 2100
Video-ATI RADEON 9000 PRO 128 MB DDR

I'm a little skeptical about the game running well on systems that just barely meet the minimum specs or are slightly better. HL said it could run a P233 with a TNT card or something for graphics. I had a comp that was slightly better than the minimum and HL would crawl. The only playable (at least 30 fps) resolution was 320x240. Maybe they have better systems in place for graphic/physic scaling for the slower systems now, but based on my experience with HL, I think a medium spec system will be required for the game to look good.

Im guessing at lowest settings it would look like HL1s visuals, or around there.

my specs

hi there i was just wondering how good HL2 will run on my comp?, my specs are

AMD anthon xp +1800
480 Mb of DDR RAM
1.3GHz
ATI Radeon 9100 128Mb vid card

so i wuld like to know how good it will run, cuz i might need to upgrade :'(

Some more RAM and a better video card would help. But it looks like you could run it at medium specs.

I have just seen the E3 film with the amazing barrels-falling-in-water and mattresses and oh my God it's amazing kinda stuff.

With the following hardware, will my game look and move like that?

AMD Athlon 2400+ (2.0 GHz no overclock)
1024MB DDR333 RAM
AOpen AK77-333
Radeon 9700 Pro (no overclock)
SB Live! (Original version - so old, I know!)

If it can look like that, my life will change dramatically - I'll have to apply for income support and critical illness pay after I meld entirely with my computer!

Originally posted by MegaJedi
I have just seen the E3 film with the amazing barrels-falling-in-water and mattresses and oh my God it's amazing kinda stuff.

With the following hardware, will my game look and move like that?

AMD Athlon 2400+ (2.0 GHz no overclock)
1024MB DDR333 RAM
AOpen AK77-333
Radeon 9700 Pro (no overclock)
SB Live! (Original version - so old, I know!)

If it can look like that, my life will change dramatically - I'll have to apply for income support and critical illness pay after I meld entirely with my computer!

yes..you have a very nice dx9 card and with a gig of ram and your fairly fast cpu .....you will be able run the game with high settings.

your all good :)

Originally posted by crabcakes66
yes..you have a very nice dx9 card and with a gig of ram and your fairly fast cpu .....you will be able run the game with high settings.

your all good :)

Thankyou very much crabcakes, my mind is at rest. :cheers:

I'm wondering about my new system. will I be able to max everything out and run decently?
P4 2.6c
p4p800 MB
ATI 9600pro 128mb
512mb DDR

i hope so, cost me a pretty penny :/

Im sure youll be able to run that max. The vid card is a little iffy but im sure its fine.

My Computer Specs:

Intel Celeron 900MHz
160MB RAM
nVidia GeForce 2 MX400 64MB

A Temporary Computer I Have:

Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz
512MB RAM (DDR SDRAM)
ATI Radeon 9000 Pro 64MB

Will it run?

Yes to both, but (as you should have already guessed) don't expect the first computer to run it with detail or speed.

Originally posted by Abom|nation
Yes to both, but (as you should have already guessed) don't expect the first computer to run it with detail or speed.

Yes, I guessed it. I guess I will run it with poor details to play faster. :)

Regards.

i know nothing about comuters, but i know that i want a better graphics card than my geforce 2. If i get a radeon 9800, do i need certain system requirements?

Originally posted by HeNdRiX
i know nothing about comuters, but i know that i want a better graphics card than my geforce 2. If i get a radeon 9800, do i need certain system requirements?
You need an AGP mobo. And that's about it I suppose. If you have a computer that's 1ghz and up, it should be fine... If below, I would suggest upgrading the entire computer before thinking on a 9800 :)

thanx

i have a 1.8 ghz, so i should be good. now i just need to get the money to buy it

you also need a good PS (power supply) to run the 9800. I think 350w is required, but i would only run it with 400w or more to be sure.

Originally posted by Ender01
you also need a good PS (power supply) to run the 9800. I think 350w is required, but i would only run it with 400w or more to be sure.

Yeah, a 9800 Pro blew up a cheap 420W power supply I was using. Don't just look for a powersupply that is rated high, but also try to find one from a name brand like Antec.

Since we can play it at best visulas on GF4 , then Am happy that my Decision on buying my card for HL2 wasnt wrong

Oh man, you all got top systems. If only i had that much money.
I got an AMD Duron 1000, 768 megs of SDR ram, and a geforce 2 mx100/200. Im hoping to run it on lowest, i spose im used to non top graphics, but as long as it is smooth and the physics are the same im happy.

Back