Back in time to Half Life 1?

pilot7893

Reaction score
Just an idea for the ending of Half Life episode 3. Basically, we discover we can't do a thing about the Combine invasion, so G-man (or rebel scientists) somehow send us back intime to the day of the Black Mesa incident, and you have to prevent it somehow.

yeah i would be dissapointed if they did a cop out like that. i better battle along side vorts again in Ep 3......which btw Valve. update plz?

That wouldn't be fun, all you would have to do is go find your past self and steal the crystal or make sure he doesn't push the cart. There's no shooting involved at all

Well seeing as this is not the Final Half-Life we don't want to stop it from happening.

Just an idea for the ending of Half Life episode 3. Basically, we discover we can't do a thing about the Combine invasion, so G-man (or rebel scientists) somehow send us back intime to the day of the Black Mesa incident, and you have to prevent it somehow.

Ummmm................no. That would suck nuts.

It just seems like the easy way out of the whole problem go back in time (and it's kinda cliche).

I would prefer at least some sort of choice in the matter (I know that would bring choice-based gameplay into the mix, which is another problem in itself).

It just seems like the easy way out of the whole problem go back in time (and it's kinda cliche).

I would prefer at least some sort of choice in the matter (I know that would bring choice-based gameplay into the mix, which is another problem in itself).

Destroy the ship or keep the technology choice ?

Surely by preventing the resonance cascade, you prevent the Combine from ever getting to Earth and as such stop the sequence which causes G-Man to send Gordon back in time (thus rendering the events of almost the entire Half-Life series null and void).

Or maybe it doesn't work that way.

Something like that - no matter which way you would choose, there's gonna be consequences; there's no "happy ending riding off into the sunset" type of ending - a sacrifice of some kind would have to be made either way.

There's just a lot of issues when dealing with time travel: paradoxes (if Gordon goes back in time to save the Earth, then the Black Mesa incident would never happen. But it HAS to happen for Gordon to be able to go back in time, etc.), Gordon meeting his past self, whether if Gordon returned back to present time would he age 20 extra years suddenly (since he would have never met G-Man if the Black Mesa incident never happened), the list goes on.

Again I think it's a bad idea - it's cliche, it's problematic, and I think it's uncharacteristic of Half-Life in general; the story always moves forwards, never backwards.

No no no... time travel really just doesn't work anymore, i'd prefer a "he wakes up and it was all a dream" ending to time travel.

Again I think it's a bad idea - it's cliche, it's problematic, and I think it's uncharacteristic of Half-Life in general; the story always moves forwards, never backwards.

backwards can be forwards you know.

Dr. Kleiner just needs to get in touch with Doc Brown and borrow his DeLorean for a little while.

Time travel, to me, doesn't fit in the halflife way of things. Also, the "time travel" or alyx and gordon wasn't time travel. It was exactley what they said. A slow teleport. No traveling in time involved. If it was, you'd have the classic time travel cliches like 2 gordons and alyxs running around.

kthxbye

backwards can be forwards you know.

Yes, but we've seen one form of "time travel", not the kind we're discussing. We've seen time dialation in the Half-Life story (as with the portal out of Nova Prospekt), but not time travel to the past; any "time travel" has only been to the future because of time dialation. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, you would need to be moving faster than the speed of light to travel backwards in time (and this isn't Star Trek!).

Though time travel does sound cliche, it is definitely plausible in the half life universe.

Afterall, the borealis has something so power that can cause yet another 7 hour war, and I don't see why time travel can't be part of it.

Although for me I personally won't want time travel, but the thought of being in black mesa again with physics overwhelms me. However, I don't think Valve will do anything on black mesa again as the black mesa mod staff members are already doing a great job at it, with new designs and voice acting etc.

That being said, I think we might get time travel of some sort, but one that won't go all the way back to half life 1. Perhaps Gordon and Alyx will fail to prevent combine from using the technology in borealis, but they acquired a technology that allows them to time travel just a bit before the combine gets their hands of the technology, and prevent the combine from taking it.

That is my speculation if time travel was ever used, but for me I don't want time travel to happen. It gives the developers too much power to mess around with the story, like creating paradox etc and eventually contradicting their own lore and story.

why would the g-man wnat to stop it? He was the one that started it. and yeah... that would be gay.

God, the nostalgia of some of you guys is astounding. Not only would it be gay to go back in time and go through black mesa, it just makes no sense. We understand you loved HL1, and you just want half of episode 3 to be a remake of it, but Gordon Freeman's adventure in EP3 is not at a nuclear impact site in the middle of new Mexico, its at a ship in the Arctic... grrrraaggggrrrr

if he stopped the BM incident, then there would be no combine or any of that, which means he would have no reason to go back and wouldnt go back so it would happen which means hed go back to stop it which means he wouldnt go back which means it would happen...........

to put it simply
"whatever happened, happened"

besides...where would he get the ability to time travel.....

Probably one of the worst plot ideas I have ever heard.

It HAS been done before in the HL universe , remember the slow teleport that Alyx and Gordon took from Nova Prospect to Kleiner's lab ? It lagged two weeks

That was not true time travel. That was a delay in the teleportation system. They did not skip forward or backwards , they were both still there only trapped between two locations for two weeks.

Edit : also what Shift said.

Travelling forwards in time but slower is not time-travel. You don't Moonwalk by sprinting forwards either.

The only visitation to Black Mesa should be in its post-nuke ruins. That is if anything still exists.

It HAS been done before in the HL universe , remember the slow teleport that Alyx and Gordon took from Nova Prospect to Kleiner's lab ? It lagged two weeks

Showing up two weeks late =/= traveling years back in time to prevent the entire HL series from happening, durrrrr.

G-Man: "Gordon, you must go back in time using the power that I could very easily use myself to prevent me from ever doing the things I'd always wanted to do and had all the results I expected!"

Travelling forwards in time but slower is not time-travel. You don't Moonwalk by sprinting forwards either.

Yes - this is time DILATION, not time TRAVEL - there is a distinct difference.

Na, explaining the teleportation in-game is enough for the writers without making up some bullshit idea about time travel and why it would happen in the first place. Gman will probably just interupt Gordon at the end like he did last time.

Never post again.

If you were to even attempt timetravel, Gman would backhand bitchslap you so hard in the middle of it, it'd Gordon's glasses in two.

It would be more fun, in my opinion, to find yourself back in time the cause of the incident in the first place.

Have you ever pictured finishing the game and going "Uh, what? So I've spent most of my life on a game that actually turned out not to have happened?" I'd have the same reaction as if I'd found Breen to still be alive.

Next somebody is going to suggest that Ep 3 ends with Gordon waking up on the tram and the entire Half Life series being all a dream.

Next somebody is going to suggest that Ep 3 ends with Gordon waking up on the tram and the entire Half Life series being all a dream.

HAHA, thanks for the lolz, you made me start my day in a posititive way! :thumbs:

don't forget half-life is all about the illusion of choice.

I've always thought Gordon's journey should end with a Deus Ex style choice of which option is the least grey.

If Gordon finally did get a choice, that's along the lines I was thinking as well. Any of the choices he would get won't be 100% happy - there'll be consequences in each choice. Until we know more about EP3, I'm not going to try & speculate what those choices would even be.

Back