Bargain Bin Finds

Cornerstone

Reaction score
I know I'm not the only bargain bin gamer here and I thought it would be interesting to see what others have found for discounts.

Today I went to Value Village for the first time and I picked up Interstate '76, Police Quest: Swat, and Return to Zork for $6.75. To me this was a 90's era nerd's dream. Now I just have to attempt to get them working in Vista (not likely) or XP. My previous best find was Tribes 2 (yes I know freeware but I got a great deal), and Age of Empires Gold Edition for $1.30.

Cheap ass gamers unite!

Advent Rising at EB for $5.99

Nice, any good? EB has good finds once and awhile, I got Alpha Prime for $4.99, I was mainly interested because it was a source engine game. That has been my best find from there thus far. Future Shop has been selling older classic games for $9.99 and so far I've picked up Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, Myst: End of Ages, and Farcry. I saw Splinter Cell: Double Agent and Prince of Persia: Sand of Time there as well.

Well Police Quest: Swat was a bust, missing a disc but I was unable to open the plastic wrap in the store and check it over but $6.75 was worth it alone just to hear the installer for Interstate '76.

Advent Rising has a lot of bugs, but it's still really fun to play. It's really fast paced, and all of the dialogue is written by Orson Scott Card :thumbs:

Turok - x360 - $9.99 - Not a bad standard fps w/ dinos for this price.
Stranglehold - x360 - $9.99 - Was a fun max-payne like clone.
Unreal Tournament III - x360 - $18 - Found it at blockbuster or something, pretty fun considering. Not a huge upgrade though over UT2004 if you have that but still.
Summoner - PS2 - $4 (used) - RPG thats supposed to be pretty decent.
Xenosaga Episode I - PS2 - $6 (used) - The first iteration in the new saga for ps2 based on a great ps1 game Xenogears. Warning: LOTS of cutscenes.
Final Fantasy XII - PS 2 - $13 - A great FF game that is different then the others.
GTA III - PS2 - $5 used - Get another look at liberty city.
Tom Clancy's Chronicles - PC - $5 - Includes Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, & Rainbow 6: Raven Shield
Gothic Universe - PC - $10 - Includes Gothic I, II, II Expansion, III which are all solid RPG's 1-2 are classics and 3 is an oblivion-esque. 3 was supposed to be very buggy though so patch it!
Rome: Total War Gold Edition - PC - $10 Download - A great historical strategy game.
LOTR: Battle For Middle Earth 2 - PC - $10 - A solid RTS based in the LOTR universe.
Far Cry - PC - $10 - Fun fps with still solid graphics and good A.I.
Portal - PC - $10 - If you haven't bought this buy it already!
Prey - PC - $5 x360 $8 - A decent FPS with some interesting elements like portals and walking on ceilings etc.
Mount & Blade - PC - $5 - People have made a threat about this recently here seems to be popular.
Indigo Prophecy - PC - $5 - An adventure game with a solid story.
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey 2 - PC - $5 - Another adventure game.
Unreal Anthology - PC - $5 - Includes Unreal, Unreal Exp Pack, Unreal II, UT:GOTY edition, UT:2004 unreal was originally one of the greatest fps's ever made. Unreal II imo was a very underrated FPS that I enjoyed thoroughly, and UT 2004 surpasses UT but is still a fun game to this day.
Overlord - PC - $6 - A fun game when i tried the demo on 360 not sure if the PC port was good?
Maximum Underworld - PC - $7 - Includes Max Payne + Mafia two great PC Games, Max Payne on Steam = $7 alone with this you get the phyiscal copy AND mafia.
Max Payne 2 - PC - $10 - On Steam get the sequel to Max Payne
Half Life 2 - PC - $10 - if you're on here and haven't played it yet..for shame
The Movies - PC - $10 - make your own movies w/ this maxis game
Command & Conquer Collection - PC - $10 - Includes C&C Renegade, C&C Red Alert 2, C&C Red Alert 2 Yuri's Revenge, C&C Tiberian Sun, C&C Tiberian Sun Firestorm for all your RTS needs.
Freedom Force - Vs - 3rd Reich - $10 - A great super hero game with lots of online customized characters to dl

most of these prices from ebgames.

I got Halo 2 PC for ?5 second hand recently, which surprised me since it usually retails around the ?20 mark. At that price, it's very hard to quibble.

Peggle for ?2.55 (via Popcap website) was a pretty cool deal. Already played it more than most full priced games.

FEAR Gold Edition (the one that comes with Extraction Point too) for 20AUD. Not only that, the guy accidentally gave me Perseus Mandate free!

I got Donkey Kong 64, Mario Kart, and Turok for $10 back when the game store near me had an N64 section.

The Witcher for ?3.00 - This was due to the Enhanced version coming out and the store didn't realise the Enhanced patch was free to original owners.

Sonic Heroes for 35p - It was Sonic and no one wanted it:( it was brand new aswell.

Fear 2 for ?9.97

Fahrenheit for ?5

The Witcher for ?3.00 - This was due to the Enhanced version coming out and the store didn't realise the Enhanced patch was free to original owners.

Sonic Heroes for 35p - It was Sonic and no one wanted it:( it was brand new aswell.

Fear 2 for ?9.97

Fahrenheit for ?5

Where the hell did you get F.E.A.R. 2 for that price?

Stranglehold Collectors edition, Lost Planet and Ninja Gaiden 2 all new and between 5 to 6 quid each at Game in Wimbledon.

Best deal I ever had was Grim Fandango for 99p.

Worst deal I ever had was Superman 64 for 99p.

Where the hell did you get F.E.A.R. 2 for that price?

I think he got it confused with Fear. I went to Game picked it up and he didn't bother scanning it and said ?9.97, it was the manager aswell. Needless to say i didn't complain.

I think he got it confused with Fear. I went to Game picked it up and he didn't bother scanning it and said ?9.97, it was the manager aswell. Needless to say i didn't complain.

Nice one! :D

Age of Empires Gold Edition for $1.30

Nice. Was that online or at a physical store?

I got Darwinia for $2.49 at Half Price Books ($4.99 + 50% off coupon), and Half-Life Anthology (HL + Opposing Force + Blueshift + some other old stuff) for $5 at a Black Friday sale. Not exactly "Bargain Bins" but I don't go to any only-videogame shops often enough to find bargain bins :(

I'm thinking I might just wait on games a couple of years and start getting them all from Half Price Books from now on... they have some pretty good deals, on both used stuff and new boxes of 3-yr-old games. It's hard enough keeping my graphics card updated for new games anyways, so I might as well just wait :eek:.

I've been looking around for Rome: Total War, but I think I might be too late to find any physical copies at stores.

Nice. Was that online or at a physical store?

Physical store, it makes the hunt that much more interesting.

Some other games of note in my collection:

The Conquers Collection (Celtic Kings: Rage of War, Waterloo: Napoleon's Last Battle, Sid Meier's Civil War Collection, Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun, and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri) for $9.99.

Prey Collectors Edition for $7.99.

Half Life 1 Anthology, Counter-Strike 1 Anthology, and Counter-Strike Source Anthology for $9.99 each.

Baldur's Gate II Collection for $9.99.

The Temple of Elemental Evil for $9.99.

Dungeon Siege for $2.50.

My best finds include:

FFXII for $10 the same year it released brand new (Toys R US)
Crysis: $20 special edition new about 4 months ago (Gamestop)
Neverwinter Nights 2 $9.99 brand new 2 months ago (Target)
The Command and Conquer Collection: $2.99 new about a year ago, 5 games included (FYE)
Ninja Gaiden 2: $10 brand new a month ago (Walmart)
Turok: $10: new, same thing a month ago (Walmart)
N+ $10 PSP new (amazon)
Resident Evil 4 on Wii: $10 brand new (Amazon)
Warhammer Squad Command: $5 brand new (FYE)
Ratchet and Clank Size Matters: $5 brand new (FYE)
Jeanne D'Arc $5 brand new (FYE)
Sega Genesis Collection PSP and PS2 $10 each new @ Gamestop
MGS Portable Ops Plus $10 new (Amazon)

and many more but the easiest was getting the clerk to believe most were 75% off simply by going to the line with the youngest clerk, all you gotta do is say that every item was found in the 75% off bin. also I love buying games at cheap prices. I'll pay full price for the Sept-Dec best games but the rest of the year I'll either rent them through Gamefly or I'll buy them mad cheap. And please don't ask me to list my Steam games, I bought about $150 between December and January

got ps3 copy of orange box for 9.98 + employee discount = 7.98 ( its not a great discount ).

Rainbow six vegas $20 ( back when it was new and was still $60 on consoles, so it was win for me :D )

oh might i add ( and just for the record ) ps3 copy of half life was not the first time I had played it.. played it pc back in 05 and so on..

Splinter Cell for 100 kroons (9 dollars).
On year 2005 :O

Also CSI games pack for 250 kroons

STALKER shadow of chernobyl 6 pounds
Battlefield 2 complete collection 5 pounds
CNC the first decade 10 pounds
dawn of war complete collection 15 pounds

I got Halo 2 PC for ?5 second hand recently, which surprised me since it usually retails around the ?20 mark. At that price, it's very hard to quibble.

That's actually quite good :O

I got NASCAR Racing 2003 Season for 10 quid. Right now it sells for about 120 on eBay.

Not really a bargain bin find, but I just got Rainbow Six: Vegas for Xbox for $30 (about $15 US) and they sent me RS:V2 instead.

I got a lot of my classics off my cousin for free, but I did grab DX for $10 at EB.

I got Startopia for about 10 quid when it first came out. Brilliant game. Too bad I lost my original copy and had to rebuy the sold-out version for about the same price...

Shenmue II for Xbox - $9.99
Oblivion GOTY edition for X360 - $19.99
Fear Effect for PS1 - $5
Chrono Cross for PS1 - $0.99
Bioshock for PS3 - $14.99
Saints Row for X360 - $8
Halo for PC - $10

A free SNES with 52 games - Priceless

Today I got, Black & White + Creature Isle, Diddy Kong Racing 64, and Splinter Cell for 8 dollars. Man I love Value Village!

Stranglehold - x360 - $9.99 - Was a fun max-payne like clone.

John Woo's Stranglehold. The sequel to the film Hard Boiled....
A "Max Payne clone".

facepalm.jpg

sigh

Gameplay-wise, Max Payne did it first though.

If it were Max Payne movie vs hard boiled it'd be an even comparison. Heck, they even called their bullet time "tequila time" (whoever came up with that needs to be set on fire).

Haven't played stranglehold yet is it worth 10 bucks? Anyone play the multiplayer?

Gameplay-wise, Max Payne did it first though.

If it were Max Payne movie vs hard boiled it'd be an even comparison. Heck, they even called their bullet time "tequila time" (whoever came up with that needs to be set on fire).

Haven't played stranglehold yet is it worth 10 bucks? Anyone play the multiplayer?

Gameplay-wise yes, but it was heavily inspired by John Woo's movies, so a game based on his movies != Max Payne clone. Hell, the hardest difficulty in MP was called "Hard Boiled".
Tequila was the name of the main character in Hard Boiled/Stranglehold.

I played Stranglehold for a while, was pretty fun.

couple of others I noticed

prey (PC) 2 pound
quake wars (PC) 4 pound 50 pence
lost planet (PC) 5 pound

I picked up GTA4 + Crackdown for $15 at Blockbuster a couple of months back. That's probably the best deal I've had recently.

I rate Stranglehold higher than Max Payne - it's more all out crazy action and cool shit with explosions.

Definately worth $10

I rate Stranglehold higher than Max Payne - it's more all out crazy action and cool shit with explosions.

Definately worth $10

Stranglehold isn't fit to clean the Max Payne games boots.

Back