Basic 'hl2.exe has crashed' errors

Adabiviak

Space Core
Reaction score
I started getting these maybe two updates ago, and haven't been able to play. It just updated again today, and the game still hangs. I've tried some basic things (verifying cache integrity, deleting clientregistry.blog, deleting the bin folder, and changing the resolution in the launch options). Is this a one-off error (something unique to me), or is this widespread enough that has Valve's attention for a fix? The error type is so common, it's hard to tell if it's just me or due to the recent patches when searching for tips on how to fix this. Other Valve/Steam games run fine.

Thanks, Helplife2.net - here is the solution that worked for me as found in a list of possible fixes from Steam Support: Re-extract the Game Files for Valve games. Apparently the game cache files include the actual game files (for Valve games only). Deleting the game files and letting Steam repopulate them from your (recently verified) game cache worked for me.

I still get 'hl2.exe has crashed' errors whenever I quit the game (which was the case before), and the game still randomly crashes (twice in an 18-hour marathon over the last two days, which was about the previous fail rate).

For thanks (and general support - I love this game), I bought two things: a naughty winter crate key and the high-five taunt. In the crate I got a strange festive flame thrower (I never knew the christmas lights were team themed)... maybe I'll finally get the pyromancer achievement. The high-five taunt on the pyro had me in stitches - the rest of them are pretty funny, but the muffled 'high five' is hilarious.

Back