Batman Arkham City

Game informer link won't open. Autumn 2011 further away than I was expecting. Oh well, I hope they use all that time to make it even better than Arkham Asylum. That game was just so incredibly fun.

Edit: Some people in the comments are hoping for Batman-Catwoman co-op play. I really doubt that'll happen (Batman-Nightwing would make far more sense in any case) but playing Arkham co-op is a pretty cool idea. Dick acts as a distraction while Bruce comes in for the kill.

That cover would make a great wallpaper.

Oh yeah, I guess the news of a new game is cool too.

I can see Robin being involved in this one.

Seems an awfully long way off though considering when the first one was released. With that success you would expect them to crap out a new one ala-Activision. Or Valve...no, wait.

fall 2011? nice that they are taking their time i thought this would be mid 2011 in all honesty. And i like the name; i was kinda worried they would call it arkham asylum 2 :p

Damnit, there's so many awesome games I own but haven't played through, and yet this damned gaming-industry keeps on putting out awesome stuff like this faster than I can play through them.

Still haven't played the first one despite all of the raving about it over th elast year or so. I will likely get it eventually, but as Garg said, there is too much else to get in the meantime. (It doesn't help that I have put almost 50 hours into Dragon Quest IX and will likely put at least 50 more in before I come close to getting bored. Effing quality.)

I hear you VictimOfScience, RPGs are the biggest effin' timedrains out there, ESPECIALLY Japanese ones.

At least for a person like me whose main interest is single-player.

Good thing I don't own a Nintendo DS or I'd never find the time to even boot my other platforms.

I'm not one bit surprised, to be honest. The first one was quite successful and critically acclaimed, backed up by some great voice acting.

If the combat's the same i'll be all over this. Co-op with Robin would elevate it to most wanted!

If by co-op with Robin you mean throwing him off of the top of a building and into oncoming traffic, then I agree. :D

I'd much rather throw him onto well-placed spikes. Unless the building idea comes with binoculars.

Blimey, remind me not to play co-op with you guys :LOL:

Never has a game cried out so much for co-op tho!

Blimey, remind me not to play co-op with you guys :LOL:

20100224.gif

I you can tie catwoman up like that I'll be all over it.

oh come on who wouldn't want to beat this guy up deliberately in co-op over and over again?

350-chris-o%27donnell.jpg

Huh, and here I thought Batman only went through 3 different robins. That bastard. :E

I wonder if it'll be using Games for Windows live or will be making a switch to Steam (like other developers that formerly used GFWL but then switch to setam)?

I wonder if it'll be using Games for Windows live or will be making a switch to Steam (like other developers that formerly used GFWL but then switch to setam)?

I think it's starting to dawn on publishers what a heap of shit GFWL is and including it just makes things more difficult for users. I get the feeling Batman will probably follow suit seeing as how Kayne And Lynch 2 is from the same publisher and that switched to Steamworks.

fallout new vegas switched
kane and lynch 2 switched

why not batman? aint a lot of gfwl games anyway these days, thank god

Sorry, this would make a crappy coop game. Combat would be a cluster****, and the exploration elements would likely be sidelined in favour of a punchier, more linear approach, like basically every made-for-coop game recently. No thanks.

Cluster****?? It would be great. Tag team take downs, assisted special moves/counters, standing back to back as goons close in. The combat system lends itself perfectly. The stealth parts would be even better - swiftly clearing rooms with clockwork timed distractions/explosions/attacks. You sir are wrong!

I'd still prefer single player unless co-op was set in an entirely different campaign. One of the greatest parts of Arkham Asylum was the feeling of stuck alone on an island of psychos. Even though you were playing as the Dark Knight, you still felt vulnerable.

I'd still prefer single player unless co-op was set in an entirely different campaign. One of the greatest parts of Arkham Asylum was the feeling of stuck alone on an island of psychos. Even though you were playing as the Dark Knight, you still felt vulnerable.
Haha, no. I never felt vulnerable playing Arkham Asylum, I felt like Batman. That's why it was so goddamn fun. The entire game for me was trying to find new ways to take down the thugs. I never worried about being able to, I never felt that I was against the odds. The odds were always with me because I was the goddamn Batman.

I never felt vulnerable, I never felt like a challenge was tougher than I was. Yes there were times when I died a lot or got temporarily stuck but it never felt like it was because the deck was stacked against me, I died because I screwed up. It was my fault and I did better the next time.

For instance, some people found the Killer Croc section scary. It was not scary. Why? Because I was Batman. Croc jumped out of the water and charged at me. I said "**** you Croc" and threw a goddamned batarang at his face. **** you Croc.

Seriously, how can you feel vulnerable playing this game? Nine tenths of it is making henchmen shit their pants in the most fun way you can think of. The other tenth is breaking their legs.

Cluster****?? It would be great. Tag team take downs, assisted special moves/counters, standing back to back as goons close in. The combat system lends itself perfectly. The stealth parts would be even better - swiftly clearing rooms with clockwork timed distractions/explosions/attacks. You sir are wrong!
The combat relies heavily on using timing to react to your opponents' moves and string together attacks, throwing another player into that seems to me like a bit of a wrench in the works. Sure, you could probably modify it to make it fit, but that's my big problem with some of these made-for-coop games lately - they design them around multiple players to the extent that the game suffers in solo play. Maybe they can make it work, but I can't picture it.

On the other hand, the stealth bits do lend themselves to coop a bit better, but half the appeal of those was the fact you were a single man (batman, rather) striking fear into a group of enemies. Would probably be fun, but I can't imagine it holding much of a challenge if the other player can just distract the thugs for you.

Didn't he do Joker for DC Online too? Sucks for either game if they wanted to do Joker-based expansion packs. Mark Hamil is great as the joker but hopefully he'll be able to go out on a high note, as he puts it himself, and be able to get his choice of voice rolls from now then on.

Back