Battlefield 3

He should try playing Section 8. There are lots of new FPS games that're faced paced and fun, they just don't get the coverage they really deserve because they're not Call of Duty or Battlefield and don't have millions of dollars to funnel into advertising.

Section 8: Prejudice is more like a Halo with a lot more weapons loadouts. It's a hell of a game really, but everyone stopped playing. Plus there are definitely some issues with balancing that Timegate seriously refuses to address. They have some weapons that are really just the only thing you can use to be effective because everyone else is using them too. Also, rather than deal with the problem of clans being forced onto one team with the "join your friends" autobalancing really makes it so even if they WANT to balance the teams in terms of skill, they cannot. So you get these hardcore clans all stacked on one team utterly dominating and even if they want to balance it out, they can't. So people come in, get their ass thoroughly reamed by a team half filled by a clan using brutally dominating weapons combinations they haven't unlocked yet, then never playing again and calling the game shit. I understand their frustration and I'm disappointed that the developers won't fix the issues that are killing (have killed) their game.

DICE will have a reaction to the DLC conundrum on their blog, probably tomorrow. This should be interesting.

No Steam version? I'm not installing another distribution platform on my computer. Especially a new one that will likely run like crap.

Edit: EA is pulling games from Steam.

Are you sure? This is the first time I've ever seen the Steam store down, but I'm not sure why they'd shut the whole store down just to remove one publisher. Also, lol this is such a terrible idea EA.

Are you sure? This is the first time I've ever seen the Steam store down, but I'm not sure why they'd shut the whole store down just to remove one publisher. Also, lol this is such a terrible idea EA.

I don't think it's a removal of the entire publisher. For some reason, that link works 50% of the time.. it's also on Reddit. It basically says that Crysis 2 and the new Alice game have been removed from Steam, but remain on Origin. No official announcement has been made from Valve or EA yet whether EA will continue to do this with newly released games.

I would absolutely not be surprised if Battlefield 3 PC (downloadable) is going to be Origin exclusive, though. If they're serious about launching their in-house distribution platform, this would be the way to force gamers into it. The physical version will most likely require installation of Origin.

EDIT: I made a thread about it with the quote excerpted from the original story. Traffic from Reddit seems to be screwing up the source.
Word has gotten around today that Electronic Arts has stealthily removed some of its recent releases from the Steam digital distribution platform, including Crysis 2 and Alice: Madness Returns.

Interestingly, while these titles are available on EA’s new Origin service, the games remain available at other popular download stores, such as Amazon and Impulse. Although there has been no official statement from either EA or Valve concerning the matter, it would appear as though EA is preparing to drop the proverbial gauntlet in the battle over digital distribution market share.

This comes in the wake of an E3 announcement that BioWare’s upcoming MMO, Star Wars: The Old Republic, would be released exclusively on Origin. Coupled with the upcoming high-profile launch of Battlefield 3, which is rumored to be headed for Origin exclusivity, EA seems to be poised to make a big push against Steam, which has enjoyed virtually uncontested rights to the digital distribution crown.

Given how new the Origin system is, not to mention EA’s previous questionable policies with regards to single player access many remain hesitant to adopt the new platform. However, Valve’s Steam service endured a very rocky beginning itself before becoming the industry standard, so only time will tell what becomes of EA’s new venture.

Still not mega happy about the Karkand pack, but being able to shop at my chosen retailer means I'll likely be able to offset the cost of picking that up later on, so it doesn't bug me quite as much. However, if they're going to try and rope me into buying from some horrible c***s like EB, then um... no Dice. HEH.

Isn't Back To Karkand available with every pre-order no matter where you buy it from?

Hey I just spotted this on Reddit hahahaha.

http://support.ea.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2085/showhome/true

Yeah go **** yourselves, officially 100% uninterested in Origin.

"Note: Re-installing your operating system, or interrupting a current download, will count as a new computer installation."

What the ****?

Wow that sucks. I can see those rules being a big problem for a lot of people... especially the interrupting a download one. Not everyone can download a 12GB game in a single sitting. :|

Isn't Back To Karkand available with every pre-order no matter where you buy it from?

Err yeah, I was talking about two separate things, or something... actually I'm not sure what exactly I was trying to say now. Could've been clearer, in any case.

Did you mean the Physical Warfare pack which you can only get from Game/Gamestation in the UK?

They should just include it (Back to Karkand) with every game. No confusion then.

Did you mean the Physical Warfare pack which you can only get from Game/Gamestation in the UK?

They should just include it (Back to Karkand) with every game. No confusion then.

They are including it with all pre-orders and the first one or two batches of physical copies. It is an incentive to buy at release and a way to discourage second hand sales, so it wouldn't make (business) sense to include the Back to Karkand pack with all games.

Yeah I know. But anyone who cares about it will buy on release anyway I guess. I dunno, all this DLC stuff is turning out to be a bit of a mess really. Nobody is gonna be happy with it at this rate!

Yeah I know. But anyone who cares about it will buy on release anyway I guess. I dunno, all this DLC stuff is turning out to be a bit of a mess really. Nobody is gonna be happy with it at this rate!

DICE could diffuse the situation by announcing that the DLC items will be unlockable after all. I bet that is what they are gonna announce tomorrow.

If that ends up being the case, then I have no problems with the game, other than potential Origin exclusivity and/or PunkBuster use.

Who knew a single blog post could fix so much? Now all I need to see is that BF3 will be on Steam. I could even live with having PB as long as i could purchase on Steam, after all, BC2 uses PB and works fine for me.

Told you so.
lol wut. Only one of the four PW items was listed as "Day-One Access". If they were all going to be unlocked for everyone in the end, the others would never have been listed as "Exclusive".

lol wut. Only one of the four PW items was listed as "Day-One Access". If they were all going to be unlocked for everyone in the end, the others would never have been listed as "Exclusive".

Huh? As far as I could make up from that blog all the items will be made available at a later time, not just one.

Well that's better. If that was their intentions all along they never made it very clear.

Now I just gotta bring myself to install Origin. :/

Huh? As far as I could make up from that blog all the items will be made available at a later time, not just one.

He's just saying that it wasn't their original plan (which would appear to be true) although it's still possible they have been planning all along to unlock the items a month or two after release. It could still be listed as "exclusive" if it is not available for other players for a couple of months after release.

He's just saying that it wasn't their original plan (which would appear to be true) although it's still possible they have been planning all along to unlock the items a month or two after release. It could still be listed as "exclusive" if it is not available for other players for a couple of months after release.

This is also true. But I think if that were the case, it wouldn't have taken two days to formulate the blog response.

In the end, EA has tried this before, and they knew exactly what to expect from the community this time. The fact that they were not prepared speaks volumes about their intent.

I don't think giving away the DLC for free was the original plan (and I don't think I have implied that somewhere). This was simply troubleshooting imo. The reason it took two days to formulate the blog response is probably that EA had to re-negotiate with the 'selected retailers'.

Good enough for me. Still not gonna pre-order, but this makes me feel a lot better about picking it up at all.

whole host of new screenshots over at battlefieldo at http://battlefieldo.com/?p=1239

game is looking very nice, visually. i don't often give a shit about this sort of thing but huh, this is pretty striking.

Damn, that tank crewman looks awesome. Hopefully they have the facial animation up to par so it doesn't ruin it. Also, holy shit those images are high res.

The texture resolution alone on the character models is just staggering. It certainly is 2011.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiice.

Can't imagine it looking like that on consoles. Good indicator that they're definitely focussing on PC as the main platform.

Hopefully it's
1. not heavily processed images
2. not another Crysis

Well, I watched the Fallon episode tonight: Some dudes from EA and Fallon played a portion of that "Fault Line" vid. Now I don't have HD cable, so I can't tell for sure, but it looks somewhat decent for PS3. Lots of jaggy shadows, though. Framerate also didn't look very stellar. The way the visuals looked kind of reminded me of Crysis 2 (PS3) for some reason. This may be because Crysis 2 (PS3) produced some grainy looking textures wherever you went. I saw a similar effect here (though, once again, I wasn't watching in HD so I could be just seeing things).

All in all, I've been spoiled by the maxed out PC videos I've seen. I have nowhere near a rig to run even at low settings, so the PS3 version will be the one I pick up. This saddens me a little, but whatever.. I'm far, far more excited about the multiplayer than the graphics.

Console's motion blur is wtf...

pye2r.jpg

*shoots two guys* "This game is super fun!"

This guy knows his shit.

Haha. :D Doesn't look bad for a console though.

But those PC screen. Damn. Gonna need me some more VRam.

Haha. :D Doesn't look bad for a console though.

But those PC screen. Damn. Gonna need me some more VRam.
Yeah no kidding. After seeing those screenshots, I don't think I'm going to be happy with a single GTX460...

Oh man, I hate the dude who did the Fallon demo (the EA guy in the middle who is playing it). He was saying the dumbest shit during the live E3 streams. I don't think he's ever played a Battlefield game prior to being on the BF3 marketing team.

I don't think my 460 is gonna cut it either... I was going to upgrade to a 5xx before the game comes out :D

do you think a new generation of GPU's will be out by october?

mhm...

Back