Battlefield 3

Besides, when a building does go down, it doesn't mean no cover. In fact, destroyed buildings are excellent cover.

Sometimes you can even hide inside the rubble. Good sniping positions.

I guess that works if they just use a "destroyed building" model after its destroyed, rather than having it actually be fully destructible like in the new Red Faction games. In which case it doesn't really solve any issues with campers or anything, and just does the same thing BC2 did. But the way they're hyping about the new destruction engine makes it sound like more than that.

Ea E3 conference right around the corner. Hoping to see some mp gameplay and moar destruction.

Sometimes you can even hide inside the rubble. Good sniping positions.
In the building right next to the B flag on Heavy Metal, there is a little nook you can hide in the ruins of the building where you are virtually invisible to any helicopters or tanks and is great for taking the point when there's a copter buzzing around killing everything in sight.
I guess that works if they just use a "destroyed building" model after its destroyed, rather than having it actually be fully destructible like in the new Red Faction games. In which case it doesn't really solve any issues with campers or anything, and just does the same thing BC2 did. But the way they're hyping about the new destruction engine makes it sound like more than that.
In BC2 it's kind of a cross between the two for the destruction 2.0 buildings. You can destroy them and once they reach a certain point of damage / instability they collapse, but they can collapse in different ways with different individual walls still standing (sometimes, other buildings collapse in a consistent way).

Thanks for the comparison image :)

I think the new Karkand looks great. Cannot wait to go prone in it's streets again! Hopefully we can go in all of the buildings within it's boundaries (I can't see a reason why we can't) which should give it some new vantage points over the original map.

In the new gameplay footage we see huge chunks of buildings getting blown out. I hope those chunks kills people when they hit them and aren't only for show. Also, I hope we will be able to blow out smaller chunks with 40mm grenades for example.

http://www.battlefield.com/uk/battl...mited-edition-physical-warfare-pack-available

**** everything about this. Exclusive weapons in a multiplayer game? The pre-order map pack was one thing, but at least I can just ignore that if I really have to. This... this can get right the **** out of my gaming.

Really, I want to be excited about this game, but it seems like they're doing everything in their power to deprive themselves of my money.

That flash suppressor wouldn't do shit in real life to conceal your position. Flash suppressors like that are only meant to reduce/redirect the visible flash from the shooter's pov in dark conditions, to prevent losing his night vision or even blindness.

I'm getting this regardless. But I'm going to wait until closer to release to pre-order to see where I get the best deal. No doubt the EA Store will have all the pre-order bonuses (and possibly steam if they release it on Steam).

But I do hate stuff like this.

I agree it is pretty ridiculous. I don't have a problem with the people who pay extra for that stuff on day one as long as everyone can unlock it as they progress through the ranks. I really don't care if I get the flechette rounds on day one or day 100.

This person's post I feel hits the nail on the head:

Do you know how you're going to beat CoD this season? By showing the consumer that you appreciate and listen to them. By not trying to milk every little bit of cash out of us like certain other publishers do.

You have to make yourselves appear like the better game in every way. Not just with graphics and gameplay, but with your marketing as well. This is bad marketing. Yes, I'm sure the game stores love it, but the consumer hates it. You need to impress your consumer at this point.

You had SUCH a great E3 presence. Everyone was impressed and excited, and I didn't hear one negative thing about your game....until now.

I realize that it's too late to change these agreements that you have made with these stores, but please release a statement saying that all of these unlocks will be available to everyone through leveling. That would make this disaster of an announcement fade away.

I'll still most likely buy the game after playing the beta if it runs good enough on my laptop (which I doubt it'll do.)

pretty shitty move, just got to try and take comfort in how shitty the type 88 usually is in BF titles. no idea how those flachette rounds will work, and the shotgun is a bit of a beast in modern warfare 2, but there's a lot of focus on close-quarters in that game.

flash suppressor sounds like a gimmick anyway. had no problems finding snipers in BC2, won't have in this one. 99% of most recon players think that going as high as you can on a map is going to be the most logical place to snipe from. :LOL:

pretty shitty move, just got to try and take comfort in how shitty the type 88 usually is in BF titles. no idea how those flachette rounds will work, and the shotgun is a bit of a beast in modern warfare 2, but there's a lot of focus on close-quarters in that game.

flash suppressor sounds like a gimmick anyway. had no problems finding snipers in BC2, won't have in this one. 99% of most recon players think that going as high as you can on a map is going to be the most logical place to snipe from. :LOL:

I basically agree. This Physical Warfare crap is stupid and I severely disapprove of this kind of exclusive DLC but really it's just one gun, day 1 unlock of the shotgun and a few gimmicks. Flechette rounds seem like something I want but maybe other shotguns will have flechette ammo - in fact I assume this is the case because they specifically say the flash suppressor is the only one in the game for any rifle but the flechette rounds have no such disclaimer. I agree the flash suppressor sounds totally gimmicky. I don't really need help drawing bushwookies out of their bushes.

In BC2 one of my favorite things is joining a full Heavy Metal server and making life difficult for the dozen snipers on the other team. They congregate in the dumbest places (the hills in front of and behind B) and with an apache it's like target practice, they have nowhere to hide or run.

heavy metal is such a great map to get shot at by snipers though - i remember first playing that map and ending up in the middle of this great big rolling plain because i spawned on a team mate then blam, he's down, bam, there goes the other guy and it's just me sprinting and strafing left and right whilst the crack and whiz of M95 rounds kick up around me until i reach the safety of a hamlet. there is quite a rush to getting scoped by a sniper, but like i say, the majority are just so stupid with their placement. of course i'm going to see the black wookie sillouette against a clear sky if you're running up a hill, but the guy kneeling down behind a bin, tucked away in a little hole on ground level with his rifle just looking through a tiny gap in a crate where he's only going to get one or two important kills, such as people manning AT placements or MCOM crates? he's the guy who's thinking logically.

heavy metal is such a great map to get shot at by snipers though - i remember first playing that map and ending up in the middle of this great big rolling plain because i spawned on a team mate then blam, he's down, bam, there goes the other guy and it's just me sprinting and strafing left and right whilst the crack and whiz of M95 rounds kick up around me until i reach the safety of a hamlet. there is quite a rush to getting scoped by a sniper, but like i say, the majority are just so stupid with their placement. of course i'm going to see the black wookie sillouette against a clear sky if you're running up a hill, but the guy kneeling down behind a bin, tucked away in a little hole on ground level with his rifle just looking through a tiny gap in a crate where he's only going to get one or two important kills, such as people manning AT placements or MCOM crates? he's the guy who's thinking logically.

I understand why they do it though, because it's very gratifying to snipe from a huge distance, account for bullet drop and travel time and get a +400 marksman headshot. It might not be the most effective way to contribute to the team, but it's fun. Sniping in BC2 is great. I often see people whining about how sniping is so easy in BC2, but I never get why. There's a lot of things working against you; bullet drop, travel time, only headshots are generally lethal, lots of dust and debris obscuring your view. The only thing I see that makes it "easy" are the many large open spaces the game has.

Also, lame move by EA, but nothing that makes me reconsider my purchase of this game. If it's on Steam, I'll probably get that limited edition, otherwise I won't.

but even so, you can still get a long distance drop-shot against a moving target from a smart, logical place that isn't either a) on the top of a hill, kneeling down b) in a watch tower c) in a lighthouse or d) the tanker in atacama desert. though gratifying as it may be to some, it's infuriting to team mates on an attacking team when you only have 75 deaths allowed before you lose to see people sprinting up to the top of a hill thinking ''herp derp time for me to get loads of kills!'' when half the bloody time they're either getting constantly picked off or not using the recon role in a constructive manner i.e no mortar strikes, no use of motion balls or not spotting because they know they might lose the kill for it.

i tell you, if i had a pound for every sniper i had counter-sniped, waited on and then killed again and again and again as they went back to the same spot to try and get me, i'd be a rich man. you can really whittle an attacking team numbers down just by taking out the snipers from a safe spot somewhere whilst their ground infantry try and slog it out fruitlessly someplace else.

Hmm... there's this huge uproar of people pissed about the Physical Warfare pack and are organizing a boycott....

Well, that sucks, but it's not going to prevent me from buying the game. It's prolly going to be my last game until my military service anyway.

Hopefully they retract it.

^ Thread's locked, heh.

92% thought it was a bad idea at last count, out of just over 700. That's kind of encouraging.

jcvBs.png

^ Thread's locked, heh.

92% thought it was a bad idea at last count, out of just over 700. That's kind of encouraging.

And now they've unlocked the thread. Someone at EA is at least paying attention.

Locking the thread? That's a paddlin'.

Any guesses as to how long a wait it will be before we see an official response?

a6e97b20e99448c4beaa21d.png

( more info: http://battlefieldo.com/?p=1142 )

Apparently it was basically 100% EA, not DICE. Of course DICE is technically EA but they function as an independent entity for the most part, with EA handling most of their marketing/PR/community management (with the exception of zh1nt0, the only CM that works at DICE and not just EA).

I'm hoping the massive stink this is generating online (r/gaming's frontpage is like 80% related to this controversy) causes EA to reconsider.

How could they have possibly done this without any input from DICE? They must have at least had it in the pipeline and just not given proper consent for EA to go ahead with it. Any case, I hope whoever's in charge of this kind of decision seriously reconsiders it.

Could be that he just meant that EA went ahead and made it an exclusive dlc, when DICE was anticipating otherwise.

I would hope DICE was making them all day-one access unlocks, and EA decided to make a few of them preorder-exclusive instead.

Well I'm already shaky on purchase because of the Origin bullshit. I guess how they deal with this will be the clincher.

*looks at preorder bonuses*

*sees Type 88*

I dont care much for these bonuses anyways.

I personally find it pretty sad that ten thousands of gamers get their knickers in a twist about a pre-order package with weapons they can unlock eventually anyway. Bad Company 2 did this as well and it never bothered me in the slightest to be honest. To all the people that will be boycotting the game because of this: too bad I won't be able to play BF3 with you.

I personally find it pretty sad that ten thousands of gamers get their knickers in a twist about a pre-order package with weapons they can unlock eventually anyway. Bad Company 2 did this as well and it never bothered me in the slightest to be honest. To all the people that will be boycotting the game because of this: too bad I won't be able to play BF3 with you.

People wouldn't be in an uproar if the weapons were unlocked as you play the game, but aside from the DAO-12 being a day 1 unlock, the T88 LMG, the flash suppressor, and the shotgun flechette are completely exclusive.

No, they can't. A developer confirmed this on twitter: they're entirely pre-order exclusive. This is why knickers have been twisted.

OH WAIT LEMME CANCEL MY PRE-ORDER IMMEDIATELY.

Or not. Really, I don't care since I was pre-ordering anyway.

OH WAIT LEMME CANCEL MY PRE-ORDER IMMEDIATELY.

Or not. Really, I don't care since I was pre-ordering anyway.

Heh, I like how being a shameless fanboy is a-ok around here as long as it's for the right games. Seriously, in what way was my last post provocative that you had to post such a reactionary reply? Was it the part where I stated facts in order to correct a misconception? I know, it's so annoying when people do that.

Back