Best, Coolest, Epicness moment in any half life game?

AK-JB

Reaction score
Okay this a thread for anything cool awesome or even damn right annoying mine would be first

i was in Raven holme i had a shotgun on a tall building blasting speed zombies when one hit me and i jumped off and died and well... I didnt save....

When you get the car i did something epic i was driving my car when i come across a little camp i go inside a building and guard is looking through a telescope i pull out a magnum load it and.....

I always seem to accidently kill myself with the SMG grenade when I'm using the submachine.

But that's because I am a failure.

I find the Citadel to be kinda badass, especially up close.
Also, I do a very bad job of keeping my squad alive.

well, since it is from "any half life game", i liked in hl1 blast worm pit and xen and when you go up just for a brief time(i think it was before the rail ride) and find out it is a war zone, but still you are not a part of that war zone, till later. and in hl2 the intro, everything till you get your suit(including that cool shit); and the "watter ride", and the battle with the striders :)

I, like, shot stuff and shit and then, like, I turn around and, like, there was like allllll these doods in masks after me LOL so I was, like, "lol laters" and sprinted away but, like, I ran into DOG and he's all, like, "dood, like, I can help" so I was, like, "yeah, sweet as bro" but then he was, like, "omg but alyx needs me" and he, like, legged it and shit. oh man, like, i saw the gman too.

I, like, shot stuff and shit and then, like, I turn around and, like, there was like allllll these doods in masks after me LOL so I was, like, "lol laters" and sprinted away but, like, I ran into DOG and he's all, like, "dood, like, I can help" so I was, like, "yeah, sweet as bro" but then he was, like, "omg but alyx needs me" and he, like, legged it and shit. oh man, like, i saw the gman too.

We actually talk like that in California.

I never said "bro" IRL until I started hanging out with this American guy.

This is all your fault, Ace.

This thread suddenly gave me the idea of an amazing HL2 mod. Specifically, the parts of Route Kanal where you run over the zip-lining metro-cops. A mod that allowed you to put a custom image on their faces or whatnot. Personally, giving them troll-faces and running them over would be satisfying. So would doing shooting them in the face, raping them, setting them on fire, then violating their inflamed bodies.

But I digress.

My favorite moment was in Ep:3 when the fast zombie jumped on the car and Alyx kicked it off.

Legitimately, my favourite moments in any of the Half Life games (there were a few such moments even in the limited gameplay of Half Life 1) are when I am presented by Valve with an opportunity to do something heroic and badass even if a little unnecessary, i.e. shooting down a tank being carried by a dropship, or jumping off ramps and cascading through wooden barricades to rain explosives down upon unsuspecting metrocops, and I take it and make it awesome.

I'm sure everyone has done these things at one point or another, so it would be a little redundant to describe them; but it always astounds me how seldom my friends pursue these opportunities when playing the game over. I make a point of making my own Gordon Freeman out to be a hero.

My absolute favourite moments of badassery are those shared with my drop-kicking, bullet-spitting buddy Alyx of course.

Yesterday I was playing GTA IV and was doing a chase mission that I'd failed a few times over so was getting pissed, cos my car kept getting trashed before I could catch the guy. This time, I nearly caught up with him when my car started flaming out so I accelerated along a straight road, jumped out at the last minute, the car kept going and blew up a second later, also making the guy's car blow up and and killing him instantly. I wooped.

Route Kanal when the music kicks in and you're in the hovercraft zipping around the bombs being dropped from plane, heat-seeking missles, towers coming down on the river, and plowing over metrocops.

That and chucking dead bodies as weapons at other cops in the Citadel.

I've been trying out playing HL2 all the way through without saving, just starting over wherever "autosave" saved last. At one point it autosaved down around 11 health and had to get through a huge shootout with zero chance for mistakes. It makes the game really hairy in places.

Yesterday I was playing GTA IV and was doing a chase mission that I'd failed a few times over so was getting pissed, cos my car kept getting trashed before I could catch the guy. This time, I nearly caught up with him when my car started flaming out so I accelerated along a straight road, jumped out at the last minute, the car kept going and blew up a second later, also making the guy's car blow up and and killing him instantly. I wooped.

Ahem.

Oops... I always make that mistake. Too hopeful, I suppose.

Realising grenades could be shotgunned back where they came from was a pretty wow moment. Think it works best in the City 17 area with the overrun Resistance Base.

Walking out of the Train Station and seeing the Citaldel for the first time. The first time I played it, I was like "Damn.."

In HL, my 10 year old self shit a brick when I first walked into the Blast Pit and saw a 150 foot tentacle cream a security guard. I swear to god, I fired every bullet of ammo I had at that thing and only after did I realize that you just had to run past it (and it was years before I realized that sound distracts it, before that I would just run like hell while tossing nades at the center of it). I still remember that HOLY **** feeling it gave me though, I had never seen anything like it in a shooter before.

In HL2, it was the entire first 10 minutes - getting in at the train station, "Welcome. Welcome, to City 17", Barney, "Pick up that can", and finally - coming out of the train station and seeing all this 1984 shit with the huge Citadel in the background. It was so satisfying to finally be playing that after years of hype and waiting, and rewarding that it was every bit as good as I had hoped.

Damn, I really want to play through HL1 again right now.

edit: also, going over the waterfall in the hovercraft, first playthrough I was screaming SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT in my head

Worst moment in any Half-Life game: that goddamn stupid floating barrel puzzle in Water Hazard, I tried to make that jump for 30 minutes and explored all over the damn place before I figured out what the hell I had to do.

I once sent a fast zombie flying over the roofs of Ravenholm. I blew the barrel he was next to and after a second all you could see was the small, dark shape of his body sailing through the air. That was pretty awesome and funny.

I love the part in sandtraps when you get the crossbow for the first time, and you pin that dude up against the billboard.

^It's not Sandtraps, it's during Highway 17 I think.

When i took down a gunship with an smg grenade.

That was a good day.

The Freeze-frame explosion, Alyx shielding her eyes, Gamn appearing and snooping around.

In HL, my 10 year old self shit a brick when I first walked into the Blast Pit and saw a 150 foot tentacle cream a security guard. I swear to god, I fired every bullet of ammo I had at that thing and only after did I realize that you just had to run past it (and it was years before I realized that sound distracts it, before that I would just run like hell while tossing nades at the center of it). I still remember that HOLY **** feeling it gave me though, I had never seen anything like it in a shooter before.

haha yeah, I did that too but I did soon realize it was sensitive to sound.

why hasn't anyone mentioned the actual resonance cascade? I started freaking out when that first happened not sure what the hell I was supposed to do.

Hazar: Indeed! When you appear on Xen with the Vorts all around you - that was freaky stuff! Especially as all you'd seen beforehand was scientists mildly annoyed that you'd ruined their casserole, or security guards who were having too busier a day... ;)

The box crusher. I am a whore for those "lose all your weapons and get captured maps".

I'd have to say my favorite moment was in HL2 episode 2, hearing Dr. Magnusson comment on that microwave meal I blew up. I said to myself, "Holy balls he remembered, I was sure he would have forgotten about that with the resonence casscade and all!"

Aside from specific dramatic scenes, I would have to say the ambush at White Forest Inn. I got the shock of my life when that force-field came up. Best combat sequence in the entire series, arguably.

Blast Pit - Half-Life 1
Ichtyosaurs in the pool test chamber - Half-Life 1
Ravenholm - Half-Life2
Anticitizen One radio - Half-Life2
Our Benefactors/Dark Energy imbalanced fun - Half-Life2
The Lift - Episode 1
Hospital - Episode 1
Dog Race - Episode 2

It's not actually an exciting/fun thing, but I NEVER used grenades, tripmines and satchels during my first play-through of Half-Life. All I used was heavy duty weapons and the standards. Well, there was that one time when I used Snarks to clear that garage full of grunts in "Forget About Freeman!" i think.

Trying to find a way out of Black Mesa, I entered a pipe where someone opened the other end and threw a satchel; my natural reaction - oh shit! That really thought me to pay more attention. :)

I had a really good experience during "On A Rail" and "We've Got Hostiles!" too.

Battle at the Light House in HL2.
Fighting the Strider at the end of Episode One.
First the Advisor then the Combine ambush in Episode Two.

Most awesome moment has to be in Half-Life 2 when you fight your way to the horse. The music is kick-ass and the action is non-stop. Plus, I fist played it on Chrismas and every time I play that part, I feel as if it's Christmas again.

Anyway, do any of you have some parts from the Half-Life series that make you think of different holidays ? :bounce:

Blast pit and getting off the train in hl2 are the best parts of the series I think.

Back