Best Metal Album of 2009??

Dunno whether people classify this as metal or progressive rock, but:

bcsl.jpg

Too hard to pick right now, been a fantastic year for experimental metal and I'm oscar mike in a minute. Will write back later with my selections.

Dunno whether people classify this as metal or progressive rock, but:

bcsl.jpg

I liked this one a lot too.

Some of my other candidates would be:

0981.jpg

Jani's new band (ex-sonata arctica)

sonata.jpg

new sonata arctica album

Satriani_Professor_Satchafunkilus.jpg

not really metal but still awesome

still not sure which one I like best

I was gunna say sonata arctica! but iits already been posted!"!!!

PORK CHOP SANDWICHES!

Extremely 'meh' year for metal, IMHO. Disappointment all around, in other words.

I'm pretty damn particular. I hope to hear a new album from Kryptos soon. God damn, ****. Awesome.

And Recently

In April 2006, Kryptos signed with Old School Metal Records from California, U.S.A, and became the first metal band from India to be signed by an international label. The band entered the studios later that year to record the highly anticipated follow up to their debut album, and finally emerged in mid-2008 with their storming second album, The Ark of Gemini.

Raising the ante in every way possible, The Ark of Gemini bursts with metallic power and passion. From the unbridled ferocity of lead single Heretic Supreme to the crushing behemoth Tower Of Illusions, The Ark of Gemini is a cerebral and devastating ride through metal's deepest recesses and celestial peaks.It topped various U.S. Metal Radio stations. It was in Top 10 at FMBQ Top Metal Albums on the first week of June. It was in Top 20 for from all over the planet, Kryptos has landed endorsement deals with Mapex Drums, ESP Guitars, and more recently, Vic Firth Drumsticks. Kryptos also earned a coveted supporting slot for the mighty Iron Maiden at Rock In India 2009.

Extremely 'meh' year for metal, IMHO. Disappointment all around, in other words.
Although I'm sure we don't listen to remotely similar metal and though the scope of my listening grows narrower all the time, this year has been the same for me.

Long awaited comeback releases from Absu and Immortal turned out to be mediocre and pedestrian, respectively. Drudkh's 2009 release was a disappointment. Nile's new album gives every impression of being Nile-by-numbers, although to be fair I should give that one another few listens. The best band ever split up around this time last year and their main songwriter is reportedly no longer involved in any type of music. Music gave me no reason to hate 2009 any less than I already do.

The only pleasant surprise was the Peste Noire album, which I first sampled through HL2.net of all places, thanks to VictimofScience, but that wasn't nearly enough to salvage the year.

On the bright side I'm seeing Absu this coming Wednesday in Dublin, which will be great regardless of the new material.

I think it's been very good, personally. Pelican's What We All Come to Need is pretty cracking, the new A Storm of Light Forgive Us Our Trespasses is also very good, even more so live when I saw them last week. Can't compliment these two without giving mad, mad props to Wavering Radiant by ISIS which I'm still getting my head around. It wouldn't be an ISIS album without having to spend at least a year getting into it. Great though.

Let's see...

The latest Converge, Axe to Fall is sounding good from the brief listen I've given it. Need to sink some more time into that one. The sadly split Brighton blackened hardcore crust outfit Fall of Efrafa's Inle is a stunning finale to their Watership Down trilogy of albums (yes, that's right) and in a similiar vein now that I've mentioned Brighton, The Ghost of a Thousand really caught me by surprise with New Hopes, New Demonstrations and as since I've got really well into them for it. Jesu released two this year, Infinity, a stunning single 40 minute track of crushing shoegazey noise, and then Opiate Sun which I haven't given the proper time of the day. Speaking of Justin K. Broadrick, Disconnected by Greymachine, also featuring Aaron Turner of ISIS is really, really good, esp. as I never did get quite into Godflesh and this sounds like a re imagining of the project. On yet ANOTHER similiar note, Turner also contributed to the Jodis album Secret House which is a lovely slice of hazy noisy soundscapes. Very enjoyable.

Christ, too much. There's still things I'm forgetting as well. I need to give more attention to the latest Keelhaul and Latitudes albums... OH, and The Mire's Volume I but that's more of a two track ep. but still very good. Ex-Bossk members.

Brilliant year if you ask me. Can't wait for more.

It might be a joke band, but Dethklok's new album is among the best this year. Way more brutal than the first one.

It might be a joke band, but Dethklok's new album is among the best this year. Way more brutal than the first one.
You thought so? I didn't really think it was more brutal, just more elaborate with more reliance on the guitar solos. Not to say I didn't like it, it really is brutal start to finish but I think that the simplicity of the the first album compared to the second is what made it so good. Saw them perform last Saturday actually, was god damn AMAZING.

Wrath by Lamb of God or Endgame by Megadeth. Also Black Gives Way To Blue by Alice in Chains. So yeah, undecided here.

I think it's been very good, personally. Pelican's What We All Come to Need is pretty cracking, the new A Storm of Light Forgive Us Our Trespasses is also very good, even more so live when I saw them last week. Can't compliment these two without giving mad, mad props to Wavering Radiant by ISIS which I'm still getting my head around. It wouldn't be an ISIS album without having to spend at least a year getting into it. Great though.

Damn, never thought anyone on this board would know about A Storm of Light. Tempest and Midnight from the album are beyond epic.

I'll go with Black Math Horsemen for metal album of the year.

Their single, Deerslayer, shouldn't be hard to find. They released it for free through SXSW. (2009 Showcasing Artists)

Devin Townsend Project - Addicted
This is damn near close, some of the mad scientist's best work since Terria.

However gentlemen, let us not forget:

600px-Cracktheskye.jpg

This is quite possibly album of the DECADE, and I'm no Mastodon fanboy either.
The guitar work, composure, the whole thing is an absolute masterpiece and I do strongly urge any metalheads who haven't had the glory of hearing it to go out and buy 5 copies of it right now.

That's right.

FIVE.

Eh, I was disappointed by it personally, and I loved... no, adored, Blood Mountain when that came out.

They shouldn't of stopped being angry bearded shouting men for this album.

Eh, I was disappointed by it personally, and I loved... no, adored, Blood Mountain when that came out.

They shouldn't of stopped being angry bearded shouting men for this album.

Brent is still bearded (and still looks like thor), but this has got to be my favourite of theirs with Leviathan a close close second.

Sorry to hear you're dissapointed :(

It has likeable elements to it, don't get me wrong. As an album it's pretty good, but I can't help but remember previous releases and then it sort of pales in comparison a little bit.

I remember when Divinations came out and I listened to that single over and over, but I rarely listen to the album anymore. Maybe I'll go back to it at a later date.

Out of all the ones mentioned here that I that I was able to get a listen of, I really like some of Pelican's stuff. Grey Machine sounds pretty cool to.

Of all the things bad about meatheaded knuckledragger metal like that, it's probably the album art that grates me the most. Good ****ing lord.

Out of all the ones mentioned here that I that I was able to get a listen of, I really like some of Pelican's stuff. Grey Machine sounds pretty cool to.

Yeah, both are great. I really recommend the Pelican back catalogue if you're enjoying What We All Come To Need. On a similar note to Greymachine, Godflesh just reunited. Hurrah.

I read that as Old Man Gloom and got all excited.

:(

Hey, the new Mastodon is pretty good. I've never been a huge fan of growling lyrics, so this is nicer to listen to than their older music IMO.

Back