Bethesda: The What?

ShinRa

Companion Cube
Reaction score
I tend to poke my head in and out of these forums from time to time, but the last time I checked, Bethesda was a company praised on this forum for their productions. However, as of late, I noticed everyone hates on them, says they're going to destroy the STALKER series, they're talentless hacks, etc. So what did I miss that made this sudden (I feel) turn on the company? Are they the new EA?

A new Elder Scrolls game came out. It's a terrible let down and a disgrace to the series and Bethesda should be ashamed of themselves for ruining the Elder Scrolls. Don't worry though because Skyrim is almost out for a whole year now, which means it's time to start saying it was the best game of 2011 and we all wished Bethesda would make another great game.

I'm pretty sure we've been singing Beth's praises and cursing them both since Oblivion. There's always been people who have liked them and others who have disliked them. I dont like that they simplify their games so much, but still find them enjoyable.

I do however think they're not a good fit for Stalker. They're never made a game like it before, and I dont think they'll keep the spirit of the game alive... at all. Like what they did with Fallout.

While I do agree with Krynn that the STALKER IP is a large departure in terms of style for Bethesda, I'm reserving judgement until we see anything about the next game. I'm a huge fan of Bethesda so I'm hoping they try to not stray from the feel of the original three games.

My new medication doesn't allow me to make any comment on the matter.

God damn it.

Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim are some of the games that I liked the most, so Bethesda is a great company for me.

> Hey Barney, Oblivion is the best roleplaying game ever made, you really need to get Fallout 3.

I want my $50 back, damn it! :(

Loved Oblivion, loved Fallout 3 (in it's own right, of course. I didn't go in to it hoping for more of the old school Fallout goodness.), was indifferent to New Vegas and hated Skyrim.

It just seems that everyone can overlook their extremely lazy bug checking process, which I don't understand. If a non AAA company had made Oblivion or Fallout 3, every review site would have hounded them for it being the buggiest game they've ever played. Really hope they don't cock up the new STALKER.

I liked New Vegas, FO3, Oblivion, and Skyrim. I wasted countless hours in all those games. But they all pale in comparison to the amount of time I spent in Morrowind.

Bethesda used to be way better, but they still make good addicting games. As far as I'm concerned if a game has me playing for 30 hours, that's a good game. I've logged more than 30 in each one of these games. So they're good.

I like Bethesda's games. Heck, I play enough of them. But I also think they have flaws that are infuriatingly persistent. Bethesda always gets knocked for their lifeless worlds, shitty voice acting, robot characters, and the lack of a compelling main storyline experience. Skyrim improved a little bit in all these areas IMO, but they're still not where they should be. The result is a world that's fun to run about in and play with, but not very compelling or investing. My most immersive experiences in a TES game is when I'm sneaking around doing side missions and pretty much just looting/killing anything in sight, because that's pretty much what all stealthy assassins do. It stops the moment somebody starts talking to me. I also don't really like how each game they release gets simpler and simpler, but then I seem to be hardwired to fear that trend in all of gaming.

Lastly, Fallout 3 is a good game. It is, however, a shitty Fallout game. I can only hope the original Black Isle titles get a proper successor in the future, just like how the new XCOM strategy game seems to be getting a pretty warm reception when compared to that ridiculous FPS wannabe with the same name.

I've disliked beth since Oblivion, their worlds are lifeless and boring and they really REALLY need better writers, please. God. Also, learn how to use your own engine. Like, seriously. Holy shit. Civilization 4 was on Gamebryo, and that ran fine. Your faces suck and Oblivion had like four voice actors. If I hear one more person talk about arrows and knees I'm going to sock someone, with a sock.

Also they're trying to do a quick cash in with the Elder Scrolls MMO which is going to be absolutely awful and will go f2p within three months much like TOR.

I don't mind Bethesda... Never got into Skyrim, though I do have both Morrowind and Oblivion and enjoy them. I love the Fallout games, although to be honest the DLC for them weren't as good as the main game was. I too remember, and still have, the Black Isle Fallouts. To be fair, I didn't think Bethesda did all that bad a job at making their own mark on Fallout. I like all the titles. Although I do agree, it'd be awesome to see a proper successor, a la the newest XCOM. Gods, I can't wait for that game to come out!

their worlds are lifeless and boring

I think this might be a little harsh, I thought Oblivion and Skyrim both had worlds that felt lived in, there were always people to run into in the wilderness and random events to happen upon.

Also they're trying to do a quick cash in with the Elder Scrolls MMO which is going to be absolutely awful and will go f2p within three months much like TOR.

Keep in mind this isn't being developed by Bethesda, they are only the publishers for it. ZeniMax Online Studios is developing it, though I have to admit it isn't looking really interesting at this point.

Bethesda make ambitious and, in many ways, well-crafted and compelling games. They just all happen to be deeply flawed in ways which don't make themselves apparent until you become familiar enough with the game to notice them. This is why I played like 100 hours of Oblivion and then like 80 hours of Skyrim and then never touched them again.

Edit: If the question being put forth is "are they a bad developer?" then the answer is no. But they're not an excellent one either. I tend to think their productions just buckle under their own scale. You'd need a really deft hand to create a world so vast and also make it consistently engaging and fun and - ye gods - balanced. Haha that one ain't never going to happen and they know it, that's why the difficulty slider has been in there since Morrowind (or earlier?).

Thanks for clarifying guys. I come here sporadically so I notice certain trends change here with developers and games and just general opinions so I like to stay in the loop. I actually havent even played Skyrim yet. I made a pact with myself to wait 1 year after its release to hopefully eliminate most bugs and have good mods to enhance the game.

I absolutely loved Skyrim. I can't so see what they do next in terms of open-world games. New Vegas was meh... But it wasn't really Bethesda.

I think a TES game with more of a Game of Thrones/ Dragon Age feel where the story is driven by your decisions and schemes and the ultimate goal is power then that would be a good game. Less focus on trying to create oblivion gates (which were soo terrriible) or dragon fights (which were fun but got old after you 30th dragon, althoguh they should keep them in the game just not as the centerpiece) and more focus on character development and story. The game for the throne I think could be really good. Imagine being a thief and stealing secrets or spying on enemies. Or being a warrior and being able to leadt large scale battles against factions. Or a mage who can scarcely predict the "future." There is so much there, they should take the influence and run with it.

Back