Bioshock: Infinite [no spoilers]

BabyHeadCrab

The Freeman
Reaction score
Well, it's incredible. I didn't ever doubt that, but the formula seems perfected. The atmosphere is unrivaled and beautiful. Ken Levine delivers again, huzzah! I'm a fan of Booker DeWitt and the idea of a talking protagonist. Also lots of race/class issues at hand that most vidja are too scared to tackle.

A lot to talk about here. Didn't see a thread proper. Ample use of spoiler tags duders.

Due to my current state of brokeness, I'm not able to get this game for a few months and its killing me! Loved the first one. Liked the second. This one looks stunning, and from what I've heard from you guys, and a few other sources, its supposed to play perfectly. I think I'll be avoiding this thread until I get the game. I'm too damn curious when people post spoilers to not click that button. Yes, I am that guy. The one that presses the button market 'Do not press.'

I am very impressed so far. I managed to avoid pretty much every scrap of information about the game aside from promotional images plastered over the front of every website in the last year. So certain things have come as a real surprise, and had a genuine first time impact on me.

The opening of the game is really quite astounding. I really like how it mirrors the Bathysphere sequence from the first game using a rocket chair. The first time walking around the city really put me in mind of being in a giant theme park, more so than any other similar moment I had seen before. The art design and the environmental sound especially make the whole experience feel eerily convincing and enjoyable, which made the raffle sequence take me totally off guard like a punch to the face.

I started playing it the moment it came out in the UK and didn't stop until I was done. Had a pretty big crash back to reality after that 8-9 hours if I'm honest. I'll quote my review I put in the other thread, because why not.

I'm not entirely sure where to start with this review of Bioshock Infinite. At time of writing (around 10 hours after the UK release), I finished the 8+ hour campaign in a single sitting around 2-3 hours ago after no sleep and I'm still trying to mentally process the experience in order to evaluate it. While this might not immediately sound like the best mindset to have when trying to writing a review, I felt now is the best time as this post-game mindset perfectly reflects my feelings towards Bioshock Infinite as a game: breathtaking, awe inspiring, thought provoking, complex, deep and utterly brilliant.

Ken Levine and the team at Irrational Games have outdone themselves once again by creating yet another extremely inventive, inspired and interesting game world inhabited by intriguing and believable characters. As hard as this may be to swallow for some players, Columbia and it's inhabitants are far more developed and enjoyable to spend time around than Rapture, to the point where standing and watching the city folk go about their lives becomes an immersive highlight of the game. The arrival of a wide variety of interesting and developed characters such as Booker, Elizabeth, Comstock and Fitzroy is extremely welcome as the brilliant acting and stellar writing from the first game once again return, just with a much greater focus on personal character development this time around.

If, for some weird reason, you're still on the fence about whether or not to buy Bioshock Infinite, look at it this way. If you're looking for a deeply engrossing and immersive game world with astonishing visual design, fast paced inventive gameplay or an emotionally driven and complex storyline, look no further. While the game would've already been fantastic if it had merely replicated Bioshock 1, additional innovative design elements such as the social/religious/racial commentaries push the game that much further as a powerfully moving and artistic interactive experience, making them the added seasoning which makes Bioshock Infinite one of those few astonishingly high quality games that nobody should miss.

9.7/10 - Very Highly Recommended

Never liked Bioshock. It doesn't have any characters you can relate to. The facial animations are scary.

Yeah seriously. Just because you yourself can't relate to any of the characters doesn't mean that applies to everyone else. That's pretty much a logical fallacy I'm sure.

Due to my current state of brokeness, I'm not able to get this game for a few months and its killing me! Loved the first one. Liked the second. This one looks stunning, and from what I've heard from you guys, and a few other sources, its supposed to play perfectly. I think I'll be avoiding this thread until I get the game. I'm too damn curious when people post spoilers to not click that button. Yes, I am that guy. The one that presses the button market 'Do not press.'
Months? o:
Oh my, I feel so sorry for you... At least you have something to look forward to :)

The whole child with a sexy voice thing is giving me mixed feelings... Like in a bad but good way, like a really good way.
Child with a sexy voice? Sure you were playing Bioshock Infinite and not checking your internet browser history?

The whole child with a sexy voice thing is giving me mixed feelings... Like in a bad but good way, like a really good way.

Elizabeth isn't a child. That being said you should see her in the earlier press with her out of control cleavage.

Months? o:
Oh my, I feel so sorry for you... At least you have something to look forward to :)
:trying not to look at other posts:
Yeah, being a student at the mo is killing me financially since I have a family to consider. Plus I'm moving house in a week, so money will be very tight for a while.... Totally gutted I don't even have enough spare cash for this. But, yeah.... something to look forward to!

Elizabeth isn't a child. That being said you should see her in the earlier press with her out of control cleavage.
Her birth year is shown on several historical monuments throughout the game, she is at least 19 if not 20 or 21.

Ok I just looked up pictures, who on earth would consider that a child?

In the development versions she definitely had a childish face. I mean, if you saw the old version of her, and only saw her face I could see mistaking her as a child. But the final version definitely doesn't look like a kid. (I haven't played the game yet, so I'm just guessing that the second pic is closer to the released version?)

This one for instance, I could see someone thinking she's much younger than she's supposed to be.
luzo6xm.jpg

But in this one she looks like a librarian. Probably just because of the hairstyle.
6JE94ro.jpg

Either way, she does still look young.

She is very specifically twenty-one years old,

taken from Booker when she was one year old, he stays in his room for twenty years.

(I haven't played the game yet, so I'm just guessing that the second pic is closer to the released version?)

The second one IS the version in the final game. She still doesn't look as young as he was making out. I can maybe understand if he was just talking about her exaggerated slightly over-sized eyes, a feature most characters have in Infinite, but besides that - she looks her age. Rorschach120 just likes his kids old.

Not only does she look like a teenage girl. In game she is almost half the height of your character.

Even the way she carries herself is that of a little girl.

I don't think her face looks like a little girl's at all. The makeup and just the structure seem pretty matured to me.

And I know a thing or two.

I'm impressed. Played for about 12 hours so far, probably about half way through. Bioshock was my favorite game of all time. Now I might have to reconsider.

I'm impressed. Played for about 12 hours so far, probably about half way through.
12 hours? Holy ****, I finished it in around 9 and I experienced the majority of the additional areas and content.

12 hours? Holy ****, I finished it in around 9 and I experienced the majority of the additional areas and content.

I'm reeeaally taking my time, paranoid about missing voxophones etc. (although it is pretty inevitable). 14 hours so far, currently running errands in Downtown Emporia.

Some were saying if you read all the material too you could get 20 hrs.

I don't think her face looks like a little girl's at all. The makeup and just the structure seem pretty matured to me.

And I know a thing or two.
Idunno, if someone told me that first pic she was supposed to be 13/14 I wouldn't have thought twice about it.

But damn, game's only like 9 hours long? I was thinking of getting it, but $60 for 9 hours? Nope.

She looks younger/more childish in game when you see her animated and everything. Her movements are very exaggerated in a Disney/Pixar sort of way. If I had to guess (from watching someone play the game for an hour or two) they did it to give her character an air of innocence and naivety, and to contrast her with the brawny protagonist. I don't think it looks particularly strange, just a little jarring with her voice, which sounds very adult.

Sorry I mean HAHA PEDOPHILES LOL LOL

I probably won't be playing this game for some time but I am definitely looking forward to when I do.

But damn, game's only like 9 hours long? I was thinking of getting it, but $60 for 9 hours? Nope.
I feel sorry for you. Having a personal "price vs time" requirement on a game like Bioshock Infinite is stupid. The game is well worth the price tag.

She looks younger/more childish in game when you see her animated and everything. Her movements are very exaggerated in a Disney/Pixar sort of way. If I had to guess (from watching someone play the game for an hour or two) they did it to give her character an air of innocence and naivety, and to contrast her with the brawny protagonist. I don't think it looks particularly strange, just a little jarring with her voice, which sounds very adult.

Sorry I mean HAHA PEDOPHILES LOL LOL

oddly, the narrative explains this

oddly, the narrative explains this
I wouldn't even use the word "Oddly". The whole design of her character being innocent and naive is deliberately designed that way for further explanation later on. Pretty much everything in Bioshock Infinite that is shown, done or explained in a certain way is done for a set purpose - which is one of the things that made me and so many other people love it.

Reactions: MFL
I feel sorry for you. Having a personal "price vs time" requirement on a game like Bioshock Infinite is stupid. The game is well worth the price tag.
Well, I had no problem forking over similar monies for Portal 2 for similar length, but I didn't particularly like the gameplay of Bioshock, and watching the videos of this game, I don't think I'll particularly like the gameplay in this one either. I want to play it for the story and atmosphere people are raving about, but if there's only 9 hours of it, I don't want to spend more than a normal pc game price and hope its worth it to me.

I also don't want to support devs charging console game prices on the PC in general, so there's that too. I'll probably pick it up on the first Steam sale it gets.

Well, I had no problem forking over similar monies for Portal 2 for similar length, but I didn't particularly like the gameplay of Bioshock, and watching the videos of this game, I don't think I'll particularly like the gameplay in this one either. I want to play it for the story and atmosphere people are raving about, but if there's only 9 hours of it, I don't want to spend more than a normal pc game price and hope its worth it to me.
You have bad taste in video games.

I also don't want to support devs charging console game prices on the PC in general, so there's that too. I'll probably pick it up on the first Steam sale it gets.
In the UK the game is £29.99, which is £10 less than the console retail equivalent. While I have no idea whether or not the cheaper price works out over in the US, the game is still by far worth the price tag.

I finished it. In 11 hours. I was OCD about Voxos/Lock picking/upgrades/money and so forth but it paid off. What an absolutely wonderful game. Certainly the best FPS since the first. The interaction with Elizabeth and scope of the narrative / environment is just unprecedented. There's really no excuse for missing this game/story.

Infinite changes the gaming landscape perhaps more so than Half-Life 2 did.

Krynn's post about Elizabeth is actually enlightening in some ways because...

there's very much a reason for the diversity in her appearance(s) throughout the various tears

You have bad taste in video games.
feelings = hurt

I look at it like this. I could pay $60 for a good story that lasts 8-9 hours and deal with boring (subjective) gameplay, or I could pay <$15 for a good story that lasts me a good 15 hours and not have to deal with any gameplay. $60 for a story is too much, no matter how good the story.

Back