Black mother jailed for sending black kids to a mostly white school district

Really? Because I think the fact the mom was willing to drive these kids to and from school each day just so that they could get a better education makes her a very good parent. Most people throw their kid on a school bus and be done with it.

So I have sympathy for her, especially since I still can't find a single case of anyone else ever being charged with a crime for doing this.

I'm sympathetic to her cause, wanting to get the best education for her kids. She did, however, commit a crime to aid that cause.

They are very strict on this kind of thing over here, schools are basically openly segregated by class IMO.

Racial issue aside, the fact that you can't send your kids to a district other than the one you live in seems really, really stupid. By contrast, you can send your child to any school in Australia of your choosing, public, private, catholic, whatever, wherever. You just have to foot the bill and competition keeps the fees relatively low for all but the high-class private schools, and even they offer scholarships based on performance.

Entry into university is also purely based on performance, universities would never even see the persons face before accepting them, only their ranking from their final year grades.

Not saying it's a perfect system, but it seems to shit all over US and Britain in terms of class segregation.

You can't go to a public school in the US other than the nearest one? That's weird. I had a choice of like five schools I could have gone to.

We had to take a test aged 11, if you got an A in it you could go to any school you wanted.

Oh, I get it. Hey, that's pretty good.

shockedface.gif

Where did you get this article from??

Just making sure of its reliability

In Houston, we had a "magnet" program where you could apply to go to schools you weren't zoned to. My sister and I did this as we lived in a relatively poorer district with truly crap schools. Sometimes if we whined about going to school my mother would threaten to send us to the bad schools.

I thought that was everywhere now. Messed up that it's not.

Although, even upon being accepted to a "better" school, us magnet students were forced into bullshit GPA-lowering classes that the other kids didn't have to take, because their freakish jealous parents controlled the school board and decided it was unfair that any children outside the district should be able to compete for Top 5/10/15% positions. So they made it harder for us. I knew some rich kids whose parents specifically moved and bought a new house so that their kids would have that slight un-earned advantage by virtue of being zoned to the school. Totally disgusting.

tl;dr -- American education system is wealth-based, not merit-based.

Back