Black Ops ****ed up my System

soulslicer

Tank
Reaction score
So I was playing black ops multiplayer, and once I was done with my game, I hit leave game. The game suddenly hung, and the hard disk went into full spin, could really hear my wd black caviar cranking up the speed to insanity. I hit, ctrl alt delte, hit the power button to initiate shutdown etc. etc. nothing worked, it was just stuck, and the sound was looping. So I waited, not wanting to shut down my system as I was afraid I would lose data.

I waited for one hour, and it was still the same, so I decided to power it off (held down my power button) and it shut off. I turned it back on after a minute, and I got a disk read error in the boot. After several attempts, the error refused to go, and I suspected bad sectors, or system file damaged, so i pushed in the windows 7 cd and did a repair.

Massive shitons of errors, came up, most of which I cant remember, but it did repair them. After that I restarted, and now, the blue screen would come up 3 s into the boot, stating hardware failure. I was shitting my pants, thinking that since BO was running while I powered off, I may have fried more than my HDD.

So I pulled out my hdd, connected it to another system, and ran wd diagnostics on it, for 5 hrs, and it came out near perfect (some bad sector errors). As I did a backup, I realized the steam black ops folder was corrupted (it's files), and so was the system folder. Anyway, I backed up my info, put it back in, reformatted, reinstalled and spent the rest of the day reinstalling everything.

There is no one I could have prevented this, that is the worst part..shit sux..don't want to install this game because I fear this might happen again. Besides, the game was experiencing major game lag spikes every time a new 3d model, map, character was loaded..

:hmph: :angry::angry::angry:

Isnt it obvious? Activision intentionally put malicious code in the game to **** up your hardware so that you will spend money on new hardware. Major hardware companies are paying Activision shitloads of money for this, as it increases their business.

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW, BRB TINFOIL HAT

No but in all seriousness, that really sucks. Only happened to me once when i was like 7 years old. I was playing that Hercules platformer game when i got a bsod and the entire computer got ****ed. Ofcourse the entire family blamed me for downloading viruses :/

I don't understand why you would wait an hour while your computer was acting like that that.

Exaggerate much.. I actually waited 20 minutes.. But it still sux

It probably wouldn't have mattered if he had turned off his computer earlier. There was obviously a huge problem with his system that not even speed could fix.

The disk running at 7200rpm for a full 20 minutes could have easily been the coup-de-grace to a hard drive on the fritz.

Whatever it is though, Black Ops had nothing to do with it, other than making your pc work a bit harder than normal idle usage, which may or may not have contributed to it. The fact that it corrupted the black ops folder as well as the windows system folder is likely just a result of the game being played when whatever failure occurred.

Poorly optimised games can do that to a Harddrive already on the edge. Either way this game is bugged.

There is no harm to hardware when cutting the power to your computer without shutting down Windows first. It's obviously not a good idea if you can avoid it because you can lose data, but I never have noticed any problems.

If you turn off the power while a computer is working: any unsaved documents are lost, any files being moved (for example moving files to a different hard drive) can be corrupted (but generally just the individual file that is being moved at the moment when the power is cut, not an entire group of files you are moving - but I think even this should be rare since when moving files, it moves it piece by piece and then deleting the old pieces from the origin drive), and finally, the Windows cache file can get corrupted (at least on XP I know it can).

You can fix a corrupted Windows cache by setting the page file to 0, restarting the computer, then setting it back how it was and restarting again.

Ofcourse the entire family blamed me for downloading viruses :/

Gotta love that about the family computer, anything goes wrong... it's a virus!
-
But yeah, that sucks. One less reason to buy Black Ops in my books.

Would have killed my comp in under 10 seconds. Black Ops is a crashy piece of crashy crap.

As soon as the sound stuttering would have started, I would have given it 10 seconds to comply before shutting the computer off. Leaving your hard drive on full spin for 20 minutes is almost definitely what caused the problem.

robocop reference ftw

What other people said.

Whenever I encounter a freeze and no key combinations seem to be doing anything, I always shut down.

again..

was play cod black ops and it hung. this time, i waited just 5seconds and restarted it, boom disk read error. Had to reinstall everything, and as usual a good load of my windows 7 system files had been corrupted. **** it, im not risking this ****ing game anymore, it sucks anyway, (goes back to mw2 for cod fix)

mind you, my system was in perfect working order. Had just played tf2, just cause 2, darksiders etc. all without a hitch since my post of this thread, then i installed this 3 weeks ago. And now this..

So you think Black Ops damaged your hard drive, then you reinstalled everything on a different hard drive and it did it again?

If it happened twice within a month, you would think the chances of it happening were very high. But I don't really see anyone else with the problem. So I don't think you can blame Black Ops.

Back