Boardwalk Empire - Premieres on HBO Sept. 19th

Lucid

The Freeman
Reaction score
This is going to be amazing.

Boardwalk Empire is an upcoming American television series from premium cable network HBO, set in Atlantic City, New Jersey during the Prohibition era. The show is adapted from Nelson Johnson's book, Boardwalk Empire: The Birth, High Times, and Corruption of Atlantic City by Emmy award-winning screenwriter and producer Terence Winter of The Sopranos.[

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNYGl8UFXuQ

Steve Buscemi as Enoch "Nucky" Thompson (who is based on Enoch L. Johnson)[4]
Michael Kenneth Williams as Chalky White, the de facto mayor of Chickenbone Beach
Stephen Graham as Al Capone
Michael Stuhlbarg as Arnold Rothstein
Joseph Riccobene as Frankie Yale
Michael Shannon as Agent Nelson Van Alden
Michael Pitt as Jimmy Darmody

All you really needed to sell me was Steve.

Yeah I'm pretty excited, HBO sure is laying down some good television lately.

excited for michael kenneth williams really, it's great to see him getting some actual screen time after his amazing performance as omar in the wire as opposed to the five minute skits he randomly appears in every now and again (the road, the incredible hulk, some others maybe i dunno) and buscemi is always good, so i'm pretty hyped just for that. trailers don't have me hyped up too much, but i'm obviously going to be watching.

edit: haha, unbelievable: stephen graham in yet another gangster/mod related title. baby face last year, al capone this year! awesome.

I'm sold already. I'm usually a sucker for period drama shows.

First review is up.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/tv-reviews/boardwalk-empire-tv-review-1004114513.story

Not since "Mad Men" has a slice of history been so meticulously re-created for television, from its elaborate sets to resplendent costuming -- though HBO's 2005-07 series "Rome" would run a close third. But whereas few with access to a time machine would want to venture back to war-torn ancient Italy, "Boardwalk" beckons with its depiction of a lively ur-Vegas that seems great fun -- unless you happen to be the victim of its frequent violent crimes.

I'm sold already. I'm usually a sucker for period drama shows.

YUCK

tampax_reg_202.jpg

Anyway this looks awesome I want to see it. (The period, not the show)

That was amazing.
This show is going to have a great run.

excited for michael kenneth williams really, it's great to see him getting some actual screen time after his amazing performance as omar in the wire as opposed to the five minute skits he randomly appears in every now and again (the road, the incredible hulk, some others maybe i dunno) and buscemi is always good, so i'm pretty hyped just for that. trailers don't have me hyped up too much, but i'm obviously going to be watching.

edit: haha, unbelievable: stephen graham in yet another gangster/mod related title. baby face last year, al capone this year! awesome.

I agree! Michael K. William's performance on the Wire was pretty amazing. So much charisma.

Really liked the pilot. Really high production value it seems.

this was good, thoroughly enjoyed it. not enough michael k williams, but i think he's being set up for episodes to come. lots of really intriguing characters to get behind in this it seems, as to be expected from the writers of the sopranos. really excited for next weeks now.

stephen graham is great as al capone aswell. man, that guy is amazing at thug characters. just as excited to see him turning up again in the new this is england 86.

HBO renewed the show due to the excellent premiere numbers it pulled off. 4.8 million viewers.

“All the ingredients aligned for this one, from Mark Wahlberg and Steve Levinson’s initial pitch, to Martin Scorsese’s enormous contributions as director and executive producer, to the genius of Terry Winter and the expertise of Tim Van Patten, to a stellar cast led by Steve Buscemi,” said Lombardo. “The response from the media and our viewers has been nothing short of amazing.”

Source.

I have yet to see the premiere. Perhaps this weekend.

this was good, thoroughly enjoyed it. not enough michael k williams, but i think he's being set up for episodes to come. lots of really intriguing characters to get behind in this it seems, as to be expected from the writers of the sopranos. really excited for next weeks now.

stephen graham is great as al capone aswell. man, that guy is amazing at thug characters. just as excited to see him turning up again in the new this is england 86.

i orgasmed at the capone reveal

Let's hope that it lasts longer than two seasons. These period dramas tend to cost a lot of money.
I hear the pilot cost around $20 million to make. That's quite a hefty price tag.

The show was indeed very expensive, but HBO took the risk expecting it to pull off the same numbers that Mad Men does, which is about 2 million viewers per episode. The fact that the premiere attracted 4.8 million viewers surprised everyone, and that's excellent news for the show. If it keeps up above 3 million every week, then we can expect much more than 2 seasons.

jesus ****ing christ that show may have made it to the title of "my favorite"

That was ****ing excellent.

Well looks like I should... watch this on television like a good boy.

I don't understand how HBO can spend so much money on these shows :O How does HBO work? Do you pay to watch it?

I don't understand how HBO can spend so much money on these shows :O How does HBO work? Do you pay to watch it?

Yes, it's a premium channel here. About $15 per month.

How much are they planning on spending on the rest of Boardwalk's episodes? It would suck if they blew half the budget on the pilot.

But I think they did. I heard somewhere the budget for the entire season is about $50 million. The next few episodes aren't going to look as shiny, that's for sure.

Going to see it tonight I hope!

Just gonna drop in here to say this show is great and awesome.

Indeed it is.
Latest ep was great.

Can't wait to see how Jimmy handles being in Chicago.

More Al Capone!

The guy who plays him also plays the racist skinhead in This Is England. Talk about a versatile actor.

Enjoying the series so far.

By the way, has anyone else thought at first that Jimmy's mother is/was his lover or something? She does not look old enough to be his mother.

Yeah, I think that was intentional. Made me laugh and get weirded out slightly.

Yeah, me and 4 other people couldn't get over that.
She must've been 6 when she had him or something. D:

Back