Border, Security, Drugs, and the Status Quo

Reaction score
Living here, dealing with the people I do, watching the national news it all makes me laugh.

It seems people have no idea the underdealings that go on day to day in this state and with federal agents deployed at the border.

Those of you that think corruption is somehow rampant only across the imaginary line that is the US border are idiots. It's a regional spread that recognizes no boundaries and spreads with culture and literal 'area.'

People like the Sheriff of Pinal County and Maricopa Sheriff Joe Arpaio will make a big ruckus in order to be reelected, but people need to realize those are elected officials in a LEO capacity and do so just for the votes of the "GET THEM MESSICANS OUTTA MY SIIIIIIGHT" constituency.

As far as the border is more secure than ever before. Technically that is somewhat true. If you're talking resources and infrastructure deployed for both leaving AND enterring the United States. There is more technology there, infrared, planes, "digital walls" etc. It isn't a cakewalk to export and import contraband anymore like it was just two years ago. Even when you're trying to bring contraband to Mexico now you have to deal with US customs first, then the Mexicans with their X Rays of your vehicle, etc. However, the volume of contraband leaving and enterring the US has increased dramatically. The federal government will not stop this, because they know the cartels have a stranglehold on the Mexican government. That shipping corridor is more important than you could ever believe and the cartels could essentially close it at their whi,. If you are still in the mindset that cartels are a band of bandits or some cheap drug dealers you're off your rocker. They hold major political influence and stand to negotiate (not in traditional terms but through other means) with the US federal government.

The biggest threat of all to cartels is the legalization movement. You'll find that some of the money pumped into these anti drug groups and PSA's, and money against initiatives like California's to legalize marijuana comes from drug cartels (Mexican or S. American donors.) Decriminalization and other efforts also help them, because it keeps smuggling illegal while making consumption on the US side of the border easier and quicker. They make a faster return on their investments.

Until the US approaches legalization, nothing will change. As far as the 'problem' will only get 'worse' (if it is a bad thing to YOU, anyway.)

LEO groups and agencies will never support legalization because it means a dramatic cut to their funds and a loss of a lot of RICO funds. The end of the status quo means an end to the huge over employment of officers. They'll claim crime will be rampant, but its not true when such a large percentage of the officers are dedicated to drugs themselves. They should be dedicated to the byproducts of drugs instead to make a REAL difference (rapes, petty thefts, auto thefts, etc) all of which are going to happen whether drugs are legal or not.

I hope you learned a little something from this long rant from somebody who lives here in Arizona, who's in the know, and who deals with all sides of this issue on a regular basis. As you can see I'm not really taking a stance on the issue, but trying to make it clear. The national news media is making it about illegal immigration, when its not the disease, just a symptom. Its like waging an all out effort to combat nausea in somebody who has a fatal disease. Wrong tactic.

Thanks for your time,
RT

I agree with a lot of what you said but I don't like your attitude that you know more than others because you are in Arizona. I live in New Mexico, does that automatically make me an expert in immigration policy? Because I don't support the "papers please" law your state passed. Does that also mean anyone that doesn't live near the border needs to STFU? I don't think so.

Kinda off topic, but you elect your sheriffs? Wouldn't that be like electing the chief of police, etc, etc.?

Hey look, another thing nobody except Rakurai knows about.

Pains me to do this, but I parrot No Limit.

Just for the record Rakurai, I think 'everybody' is aware of how much power drug cartels and prison gang organizations like the Mexican Mafia hold, outside of their own criminal world.

Also, I just realized I need to take a step back and absorb some of my own advice.

Hopefully the legalization bill in CA will pass this year. Other states will follow, it'll be a whirlwind...of WEED

I say we just nuke Arizona once or twice a month, at random intervals. That way nobody will try to cross the border, and we won't have to deal with Arizona's stupid shit anymore.

Hopefully the legalization bill in CA will pass this year. Other states will follow, it'll be a whirlwind...of WEED

You can have weed in the city and county of Denver, but if you cross the street, you can have a half dozen alphabet soup agencies tackling you and shooting your dog for it...the feds still pre-empt city and state laws...

You can have weed in the city and county of Denver, but if you cross the street, you can have a half dozen alphabet soup agencies tackling you and shooting your dog for it...the feds still pre-empt city and state laws...

I remember my dumbass friend getting popped for weed in Denver right after the law legalizing it was passed. It wasn't even the feds that got him, just regular cops. Obama has promised that he won't have the DEA go after people that are within state laws but the thing with Denver's law is odd, I don't fully understand it. I bet if it is legalized in California this fall it will be the same crap unless I'm missing something about Denver's law.

Or now that I think about it if it's a city law that might not have as much power as a state law.

I remember my dumbass friend getting popped for weed in Denver right after the law legalizing it was passed. It wasn't even the feds that got him, just regular cops. Obama has promised that he won't have the DEA go after people that are within state laws but the thing with Denver's law is odd, I don't fully understand it. I bet if it is legalized in California this fall it will be the same crap unless I'm missing something about Denver's law.

Or now that I think about it if it's a city law that might not have as much power as a state law.

Do you recall how much he had on him? Denver said its legal to have an ounce, or some stupid amount...

Denver has a lot of stupid laws. Even though the state of CO specifically has a law stating that state laws are the law of the land, Denver still claims pre-emption on a few things like drugs and firearms...

I say we just nuke Arizona once or twice a month, at random intervals. That way nobody will try to cross the border, and we won't have to deal with Arizona's stupid shit anymore.

Same thing for Texas please.

I don't like the Arizona law but the vote in nebraska redefined their strategy and makes a lot more sense.

and i don't want aliens taking my jobs

Do you recall how much he had on him? Denver said its legal to have an ounce, or some stupid amount...

Denver has a lot of stupid laws. Even though the state of CO specifically has a law stating that state laws are the law of the land, Denver still claims pre-emption on a few things like drugs and firearms...

It was a teenth or an eighth from what I remember, he sure as hell didn't have anywhere near an ounce.

Hmmm...cops in Denver are a bit slow in the head, probably didnt know the law had been passed yet...

Hmmm...cops in Denver are a bit slow in the head, probably didnt know the law had been passed yet...

It wasn't just the cops, the judge sentenced him to all kinds of community service and probation.

I agree with a lot of what you said but I don't like your attitude that you know more than others because you are in Arizona. I live in New Mexico, does that automatically make me an expert in immigration policy? Because I don't support the "papers please" law your state passed. Does that also mean anyone that doesn't live near the border needs to STFU? I don't think so.

No. I think you have more to say on it because you live in the region as well. I do believe people who live here in the border states have a stronger sense of whats going on. Just like I'd say Numbers knows more about the situation in Korea (not that I'd agree with all his views, but that if he gives an account of something happening I'd take it as accurate in good faith)

BTW I am dead set against SB1070 BTW also because it IS a "paper's please" law. Just because I live in AZ doesnt mean I support the law. Thats what pisses me off most about the boycotts hurting the state. As far as the law- its not about race its about carrying documentation being compulsory. That goes against everything the USA stands for.

BTW this thread is not about SB1070 either. I didnt really intend for it to be at least.

Kinda off topic, but you elect your sheriffs? Wouldn't that be like electing the chief of police, etc, etc.?

Yes. We are a union of states, and the states are made up of ever smaller governments. "United States of America"

So our system is like a pyramid of power

Federal level (Law enforcement: FBI, DEA, ATF, EPA etc etc)

State level (Law enforcement: State Troopers- Highway Patrol, State enforcement agencies)

County/Parish level (Law enforcement: Sherriff's Department, Supervisor's board)

City/Town level (Police Department, other municipal departments)

So say, Phoenix, is a city in Maricopa County, in the state of Arizona in the USA

The Sheriff is elected, yes, and it's a very powerful law enforcement division. They basically are cops on the street, same as police, but they have greater jurisdiction. Police are generally hired/appointed by local government. Sheriff can be any nutjob who gets elected, with a lot of power.

No. I think you have more to say on it because you live in the region as well. I do believe people who live here in the border states have a stronger sense of whats going on. Just like I'd say Numbers knows more about the situation in Korea (not that I'd agree with all his views, but that if he gives an account of something happening I'd take it as accurate in good faith)

Why do we have more sense of what's going on? Because we see more mexicans around us than the rest of the country? Give me a ****ing break. What's happening on our border is no secret, no matter where in the country you happen to reside.

Numbers lives in a totally different country thousands of miles away, with totally different politics. In this country politics are virtually the same across the board, since we are all connected as a same country with similar ideals and political beliefs. So I don't think that's a very good example on your part. What exactly does New Mexico know that Colorado or New York doesn't?

Why do we have more sense of what's going on? Because we see more mexicans around us than the rest of the country? Give me a ****ing break. What's happening on our border is no secret, no matter where in the country you happen to reside.

Numbers lives in a totally different country thousands of miles away, with totally different politics. In this country politics are virtually the same across the board, since we are all connected as a same country with similar ideals and political beliefs. So I don't think that's a very good example on your part. What exactly does New Mexico know that Colorado or New York doesn't?

For one the level of corruption that is spreading through the local law enforcement. Like I said, its not stopped by the border, its spreading at a cancerous rate. I was also under the impression I was writing to a mostly European crowd.

Back