Borderlands

So in order to not be at a disadvantage, you have to perform the monotonous task of continuously realoading the game and checking these four crates? They should patch that IMHO.

Anyway, I played the game for a few hours (haven't bought it myself, yet) and I must say it's addicting. I have some questions:

1) What's the significance of the preferable weapon types for characters (ie. revolvers and sniper rifles for Hunter, combat rifles and shotguns for Soldier etc.)? Does this affect your stats with the weapons, makes them rise faster (since they're all at 0 at first anyway)?

2) Is it good to stick to 1-2 weapon types in order to pump up only their stats? If it was a regular RPG I'd do that, but since it is actually me aiming the weapons, not a mathematic formula, I'm not sure. I was playing the Hunter and while the sniper rifle was good for the weaker enemies, where I could score headshots kills, a few levels later, I found myself playing with an SMG, then a combat rifle, or even a shotgun in CQB, and a rocket launcher when I could hit multiple enemies at once, as they were more effective. Am I putting myself at a disadvantage later on by doing so?

As far as I know, the sole reason for the weapon recommendations for each class, is because their skills pertain to those particular types of weapons. That being said, its perfectly viable to be a Hunter adept at using rocket launchers, so long as you use them enough to increase your proficiency.

Yeah, a Soldier could use the sniper rifles all he wants, but he'll never be as good as a very adept Hunter with them. He can still kick a ton of ass with them though, his upper limit of performance with them is just lower than it is with a Hunter (due to all the skill points a hunter can dump into rifle-specific powers).

I think I'm the only person who refused to do the load/open/reload/open method of getting loot.... I'm too innocent, I tells ya!

This is the reason Diablo 2 was so fun for so long....nothing was ever the same twice *except certain dungeons...* With this, everything and every quest is in teh EXACT same spot...gets old faster than I thought.

Btw, there are technically 7 loot containers in New Haven if you consider the one the claptrap opens for ya and the two in the secret basement.

1) What's the significance of the preferable weapon types for characters?
Some classes have skills and / or mods that boost certain weapon types. F.e. SMG's for Sirens or shotties for Soldiers. But like Wanted Bob said, you can chose to ignore those skills and equip your Hunter with an assault rifle or your Tank with a sniper.

2) Is it good to stick to 1-2 weapon types in order to pump up only their stats?
I'd say yes. Low proficiency doesn't mean you can't use certain weapons, but high proficiency gives some very interesting bonuses.

I was worried the DLC was just going to be one new dungeon, but 50 new quests sounds like quite a lot. Seems Gearbox isn't skimming on the content.

I think I'm the only person who refused to do the load/open/reload/open method of getting loot.... I'm too innocent, I tells ya!

This is the reason Diablo 2 was so fun for so long....nothing was ever the same twice *except certain dungeons...* With this, everything and every quest is in teh EXACT same spot...gets old faster than I thought.

This game + randomly generated levels= GOD

I thought I read before the game came out that some of the outdoor areas would be randomly generated... am I thinking of a different game?

I thought I read before the game came out that some of the outdoor areas would be randomly generated... am I thinking of a different game?

Nope, you're correct. GBX dropped the idea though.

unfortunate... perhaps in a patch at some point they'll consider adding that.

unfortunate... perhaps in a patch at some point they'll consider adding that.

I don't think that will happen, just because it wouldn't be the easiest thing to just patch in. They will probably use it for a selling point on BL2.

Currently using a 4x 87dmg Double Anarchy SMG in combination with a Mercenary mod for my Siren. They really kick ass together. The only chance enemies have now is from a distance. If they get close I will pump 69 bullets in them im under 5 seconds. This is my spec (lvl 45 now; my last 5 pounts will be going to Mind Games). I might drop Spark since I don't really need that anymore, and put those points in Black Out.

da.jpg

mercmod.jpg

Oh and the PC patch is ready! It is in certification atm.

For people who love Lilith:

It is quite NSFW so don't go clicking this if your mom is in the room.
angrypi.jpg

Oh, oh, Pi piddly Pi. I was totally going to verify the awesomeness and validity of Shaker's post, but you made it too crushingly awesome to touch. Amen, mine liege.

PS: how would you feel about me tattooing your name on my forehead?
(I would also need to shave my head in order to confirm the badassery.)

Oh, oh, Pi piddly Pi. I was totally going to verify the awesomeness and validity of Shaker's post, but you made it too crushingly awesome to touch. Amen, mine liege.

PS: how would you feel about me tattooing your name on my forehead?
(I would also need to shave my head in order to confirm the badassery.)

Whahahaha, lolled.

Patch 1.01 is out.

- Characters that have lost skill points will have the lost points refunded
- Clients will no longer lose proficiency progress upon leaving a co-op game
- Item cards now display the intended five lines of detail text
- Lilith's Phase strike and melee attacks from Phase Walk now function as intended
- Voicechat: users can now control volume and individually mute players
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused CL4P-TP to stop progressing during the introduction
- Server browser population times have been improved
- Server information should now always display the correct plot mission
- Benchmarking feature now works as intended
- Nvidia 3D Vision visuals now render shadows correctly (requires minimum 195.28 drivers, available from nVidia)

More here.

Some people are experiencing weird dynamic shadows after applying the patch. This can simply be fixed by rebooting your PC.

Not much of a patch.

That is exactly what I was thinking. Out of all the game breaking bugs, we get some not so important bugs *at least the skill point/proficiency points bugs are fixed...*

Judging from the comments on the official forums, they broke more shit than they fixed.

I've not played since the update...so we'll see I guess..

They are seeming more and more like DICE. BF2 was the most badass game, wish some silly bugs that shouldn't have been there...but then each patch broke the game more and more.

Judging from the comments on the official forums, they broke more shit than they fixed.

Like what? Some people are reporting fukced up shadows, but that is fixed after rebooting. Not that it isn't a tiny patch btw. I had expected more.

I got all the way to the Salt Flats as a lv. 34 Soldier before having to give back the copy in my possession back to my buddy. How close was I to finishing the game?

I had gotten a kick ass shotgun with insane firing speed, accuracy (for a shotgun) and power coupled with a purple tier Commando class mod that increased shotgun speed even more to a ridiculous 50% increase in firing rate.

Needless to say, "god mode" got boring after a while anyways. :E I took down the rakk hive in less than 10 seconds.

BTW, that thing was damn creepy. Reminded me of a Colossi from SoTC.

Saturos, you were right close to the end, if I'm not mistaken. Just a trip through a few places to reach the Vault.

Saturos, you were right close to the end, if I'm not mistaken. Just a trip through a few places to reach the Vault.
Aww man, I was so close then. I feel like I've failed as a vault hunter for not finding that vault. I was too busy with daily life for a cram session to complete the game before returning it.

I hate having a life. I also hate being an adult. :(

BTW MRG, that link for the theme song mp3 didn't work for some reason. It would only download a portion of it before FireFox said "download finished" and I could only download it to Windows Media player, not as a separate file. I must have that theme song, it's awesome. The singer from Cage the elephant sounds familiar for some reason. I thought it was Kid Rock at first and then my sister pointed out it sounded more like the singer from Gorillaz.

You didn't much from the ending.
A very easy boss fight filled with shitty loot. WOOO!

You didn't much from the ending.
A very easy boss fight filled with shitty loot. WOOO!

I was so peeved by this. Not only was the boss fight uninteresting/overly easy but I was really hoping for some big loot. For a game that rides on loot, there was absolutely nothing for that final boss. I kept looking around in that small map for a chest or something. Lameness.

I was so peeved by this. Not only was the boss fight uninteresting/overly easy but I was really hoping for some big loot. For a game that rides on loot, there was absolutely nothing for that final boss. I kept looking around in that small map for a chest or something. Lameness.

I blame New Haven. The worst idea for a game...chest looting.

I bought the game and I'm getting graphical artifacts on my laptop. It's nothing gamebreaking but it is slightly annoying when I get weird stuff flickering on my screen now and then. Most of the time happens when I'm doing something in the in-game menus.

I don't think I ever got artifacts in other games on this laptop, this one's a first. My GPU is running at 70(ish)C when I play the game (right now it's at 50C in desktop) so I don't think that's an issue. Haven't overclocked it.

I've got a 9600M GS, drivers are 186.03, while the latest for this card (for notebooks) are 186.81. But I wanted to check with you guys first, if anyone has a solution to that. The latter drivers are from August, so I don't they will have anything that'll help with Borderlands anyway.

It's a game bug i think. A lot of people have reported a similiar series of events whereby after a given period of time there can be flickering/artefacting/psychodelic colours. Sometimes leading to a crash.

It happens to me from time to time, the game seems to lock up, then it carries on, only with one of the above glitches and reduced performance, requiring a full reboot of the computer to solve. I think i remembering reading it may be linked to some sort of memory leak.

Anyone else still playing this? I got it a few days ago and I'm level 25 atm and quite enjoying the game.

Anyway, have been playing some co-op today (I always host, cause joining a game, let alone a non-laggy one, is hard) and it was fine, with people not running around just to pick loot, but actually advancing together etc. However that got me thinking, that while it's fun to play with others, it's not really beneficial. Not sure about the XP (haven't noticed getting XP faster tbh), but I didn't really find better items than in SP and most of the time I left alone items I didn't really need, in case someone else had use in them. In SP I would've probably picked up most of the stuff that's worth over 1,5k and then sell it for cash, so I'm actually worse off.

Also, weird thing - I spent probably about 4 minutes battling some giant ant thing, even though I shot it where it hurt (crits), with 2 other guys (I think) helping me more or less and when it finally dropped dead, I got only about 2500k XP. WTF, that's like 3 Brutes (900xp iirc) which I could take out with the help of Bloodwing in 25 seconds.

What is (was) your SP/MP playtime ratio approximately, guys? So far I've played much more SP.

Back