Cake? Need a little help here...

Kybern

Reaction score
Ok, cake is a lie, cake isn't a lie. What does that mean? I heard it from portal, I also heard that the truth is: cake isn't a lie. What does that mean? Please help! :D

Well of course it isn't, an imperative sentence can't be a lie, as it does not state information.

In portal, the supercomputer tells you that after running the tests you will get cake, but really, that isn't the plan at all, hence why the cake is a 'lie'

although at the end of the game we do see a cake in the depths of the lab, which kind of makes it truth.

Also what the 'supercomputer', Glados, refers to as cake is not what we humans would call cake (I'm not really sure what she would be referring to, though), hence another reason why the cake is 'lie'.

its stupid and should not tie into any other future game. but nothing beats the stupidity of 'still alive'.

its stupid and should not tie into any other future game. but nothing beats the stupidity of 'still alive'.

You sir have absolutely no musical taste.

I've always assumed that cake is people like Chell, who are being made to do these tests and such. In Still Alive GLaDOS sings "You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.", cake being people to run tests on. Without people she can't really do anything, I mean she can't come up with ways to better the portal gun, or test it because she has no imagination as she is a machine. She would need facts to make observations from.

No. Cake = food, you keep trying till you run out of cake to lean on, cause when you fail an experiment what's better than a nice piece of cake?

/facepalm

isn't it obvious?
you've played the game right through haven't you?
she (GLaDOS) offers you cake as a reward for good behaviour, but never actually gives it to you. then, after GLados tries to incinerate you, and you're running through the facility, you can find a secret room where there's poems about the companion cube, a calendar, and THE CAKE IS A LIE scratched on the walls. its a joke.

Back