Call of Duty Sequel Concept...

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
Treyarch's next CoD should go World War 1.

Discuss.

It would maybe work if they set it while the armies were still trying to out-manouvre each other, but it could easily go wrong. I'm still for Captain Price: IN SPACE!

I don't see why the next one wouldn't be MW3. The story from the second game was a complete cliffhanger. That pretty much guranateed a MW3.

Wouldn't be surprised if it turned into a futuristic warfare type thing.

Come to think of it, how would COD go futuristic if it was all about realism etc.? I don't really see it fitting in with lasers and spaceness. Still not behind the whole WW1 thing though. Either it's brilliant or godawful, and either way it's probably still more awesome to watch Blackadder Goes Forth.

I don't see why the next one wouldn't be MW3.
Because thread opener mentioned Treyarch specifically, and it's anyone's guess whether Infinity Ward will be together enough to make anything.

As for WW1, people have debated why noone has made anything convincing set before WW2, and it always comes down to the fact that WW1 was a shitty, shitty war in which individuals were absolutely meaningless. Most of all, I really don't want a Call of Duty game to cover this era because it would end up as a balls-out jocktoberfest of a game with sidelines in being massively pretentious. Like, oh I don't know:

Scene 1: Inevitable opening scene in which the player, as Gavrilo Princip, assassinates Archduke Franz Ferdinand.

Scene 2-5: Missions behind enemy lines as a British SAS soldier. This Special Air Service is so special that history itself didn't record it. At one point you leap from a bi-plane, punch the Red Baron in the tits and ride the plane down into a machine gun nest.

Scene 6: 30 miles away from the frontline, you play a general. All you do is smoke cigars, drink port and push little model soldiers around on a tactical map. OH THE HUMANITY.

Scene 7: British SAS soldier killed by DEFECTING FILTHY RUSSIAN REVOLUTIONARY SCUM thus setting up events in Modern Warfare, because that shit doesn't make any sense whatsoever so just roll with it.

Scene 8-End: Don't worry though, the Americans are here. Figuring Europeans are just pussies, you one man army your way across no-man's land, massacre major trenches and have a final fist fight with Hitler's father or something. The final blow is struck by bull-rushing him whilst wearing a spikey hun helmet.

**** yeah etc.

edit: Oh I forgot to mention that everytime you die, you're treated to a bit of wartime poetry. BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM, BOOM.

Treyarch's next CoD should go World War 1.

Discuss.

WW1 is a little slow-paced for CoD. From what I recall in history class, the average soldier was more focused on just surviving the absolute s*** trench life than shooting people.

Yeah, and the weaponry/tactics weren't exactly that fun to begin with. Rifles were pretty much the mainly used weapon and the Germans mainly used the Maxim Gun. Constant shelling by mortars and the tanks would be the only real "combat" you'd see in a game like that probably.

The Korean War. It is basically the only big conflict after 1940 that has never been properly done in a shooter.

You make it sound like CoD is interested in depicting some vestige of realism..

The next CoD will be set in 1982 during the war with the Purple Soviet Space Gremlins. You heard it here first.

You make it sound like CoD is interested in depicting some vestige of realism..

Explain to me how I did that. How does the phrase 'properly done in a shooter' make claims about realism at all?

If CoD goes realistic it'll suffer the same way that Battlefield 2142 did. Personally I liked it, but many players see it as the low point of the franchise.

Scene 8-End: Don't worry though, the Americans are here. Figuring Europeans are just pussies, you one man army your way across no-man's land, massacre major trenches and have a final fist fight with Hitler's father or something. The final blow is struck by bull-rushing him whilst wearing a spikey hun helmet.

It would be historically accurate to have Adolf himself appear at some point, it would have to be a scripted sequence where you either shoot him in the groin or gas him (oh, the irony) depending on what year of the war it was.

Scene 1: Inevitable opening scene in which the player, as Gavrilo Princip, assassinates Archduke Franz Ferdinand.

Scene 2-5: Missions behind enemy lines as a British SAS soldier. This Special Air Service is so special that history itself didn't record it. At one point you leap from a bi-plane, punch the Red Baron in the tits and ride the plane down into a machine gun nest.

Scene 6: 30 miles away from the frontline, you play a general. All you do is smoke cigars, drink port and push little model soldiers around on a tactical map. OH THE HUMANITY.

Scene 7: British SAS soldier killed by DEFECTING FILTHY RUSSIAN REVOLUTIONARY SCUM thus setting up events in Modern Warfare, because that shit doesn't make any sense whatsoever so just roll with it.

**** yeah etc.
If done with a campy tone, I would play the shit out of this game.

The problem with that is that they would have to go beyond their hold-shoot-button-down gameplay. I don't think they know how to do any sort of deeper level gameplay design. I don't think Activision would even allow it.

Explain to me how I did that. How does the phrase 'properly done in a shooter' make claims about realism at all?

I was refering more to the implication that CoD need's to be based on a real historical conflict at all, or even a plausible vision of a future conflict. I was mostly making light of the fact CoD is a fantasy game.

Oh, trench warfare. Yay! Seriously though, could be good if done right, but I don't see that happening.

I want to see the game in 2040. would be nice to see some sci fi weapons, use of robotics, shields, but not so Halo like, more realistic as it has been for the most part with the weapons

I want to see the game in 2040. would be nice to see some sci fi weapons, use of robotics, shields, but not so Halo like, more realistic as it has been for the most part with the weapons
GRAW of Duty.

I'd just like to see something more restrained, something that comes a bit closer to realism without going whole hog, so there's still a decent amount of action. Make it similar to Ghost Recon with the open mission layouts, let me take my time and approach it how I please. Basically, quit holding my hand so ****ing much.

Of course, this will never happen because their current formula sells ridiculously well (Black Ops outsold MW2) and they'd be stupid to drop it without milking it as much as possible. But one can dream. There's always those side projects they keep hinting at...

Call of Duty: Viking Warefare 2: The Pillaging

If done with a campy tone, I would play the shit out of this game.
It's the only tone I know.
Call of Duty: Viking Warefare 2: The Pillaging
I can only assume the first game had the parts of the Viking raids that the demographic would be really interested in.

My history is a bit rubbish, but were there not interwar conflicts worth covering. Spanish Civil War?

Back