chat/shitposting thread

Ennui

The Freeman
Reaction score
in this thread you can post whatever you want. shoot the shit!

that being said it's been 7 or 8 years since i posted a thread, so make it good

whats up, hl2netters? 2019 is a long way from when we last chatted so lets talk!

There are a lot of games out since then, but god damn, Battlefield 4 has gripped me straight through 2013-2019 and still holding tight.

During Portal 2's release, I don't recall if there was a big forum presence for that. Any stand-out threads?

Should be either sleeping or studying but at this point I've resigned myself to procrastination until Thanksgiving break because (my) uni is awful and it depresses me. I've been thinking of time and how I don't feel 22 and yet I am and it's as if reading all of your (i.e. the older members') posts back when I was younger was as if I had been reading the future of myself and what I was heading toward/for at the same time that those posts were already becoming/had become your past. I'm now at the age that I thought to myself back then would be the age that I'd be able to compete with any person here in terms of argument and style, but it doesn't feel that way still. It doesn't feel as if there's any distance between 2009 and now, like you'd expect there to be presupposing that time is linear. I can just as easily go back to a post from nine, ten years ago and experience the same visceral reaction that I had experienced then as if I had just posted now in the present (past-perfect tense in talking about the present: go figure). The gap of time that should be there collapses in upon itself, and all one has for a semblance of clarity and continuity/direction are the time stamps and, if one were willing to do them, analyses of the changes in grammar. But I think in terms of spatiality, we give a year too much ****ing credit (or maybe I do/did) for how much time it takes up: not respective of any representational measurement (i.e. 365 days) but in regards to our perception of time and its passing.

This year in general does not, in my mind, take up the same amount of perceptual space as the years I've experienced before, when I was younger. More than that, though, I feel as if coming back here is a kind of denial of the present and a seamless return to the past because gapless: I feel timeless in the sense that right now could just as well be any point in time between 2013-2015 (I think this is when the layout changed, roughly) as 2019. It is surreal, in perhaps the strongest sense of the word one can muster, to even be talking/reflecting with the same people whom I know to have themselves changed while also changing to/for me as I've matured.

EDIT: And yet none of you do change, really. It's this kind of strange phenomenon that reminds me of how when you're a kid all of your peers GROW up at the same time that your consciousness/perception is still developing so that their development is seamlessly communicated to you without gaps or pauses, as if they continued to be the same.

Last edited:
its called getting old my friend. eventually everyone becomes your peer

man it feels good to be clicking on New Posts again

its called getting old my friend. eventually everyone becomes your peer

Can't imagine what it'd be like to be at your age. Are the bones creaking yet?

Drinking wine and coffee just an hour and a half before midnight; about to finish up an application for an internship to nowhere/to somewhere, though, one never knows where. Think I'll read some of the Russians like you suggested; I've got Tolstoy and Dostoevsky locked up dustily in a library upstairs, hardcover and moire-endleaved and all. Tried War and Peace this summer but it was a slog, and perhaps that just means I'm too plebeian for it (although I'll read Joyce any day).

Can't imagine what it'd be like to be at your age. Are the bones creaking yet?

Drinking wine and coffee just an hour and a half before midnight; about to finish up an application for an internship to nowhere/to somewhere, though, one never knows where. Think I'll read some of the Russians like you suggested; I've got Tolstoy and Dostoevsky locked up dustily in a library upstairs, hardcover and moire-endleaved and all. Tried War and Peace this summer but it was a slog, and perhaps that just means I'm too plebeian for it (although I'll read Joyce any day).
how the **** old are you shem im only 30 for christs sake. i was 15 when HL2 came out

when it comes to russians: try to read the pevear and volokhonsky translations if possible, they're an english/russian married translator duo that has translated most of the great 19th century works in the last few decades. well footnoted etc. tolstoy is good but anna karenina is a much more engaging and whole novel than war and peace, which i agree is a slog (but still good! and certainly has its moments). my two cents are to go straight for dostoevsky, your posting aura of late seems suited to him. read crime and punishment

how the **** old are you shem im only 30 for christs sake. i was 15 when HL2 came out

22: was so young when I joined here that I couldn't post my birthday, for fear of ridicule. HL2's releasing would have made me 7, eek!

when it comes to russians: try to read the pevear and volokhonsky translations if possible, they're an english/russian married translator duo that has translated most of the great 19th century works in the last few decades. well footnoted etc. tolstoy is good but anna karenina is a much more engaging and whole novel than war and peace, which i agree is a slog (but still good! and certainly has its moments). my two cents are to go straight for dostoevsky, your posting aura of late seems suited to him. read crime and punishment

Do I have those translations? I'll have to check. If footnoted then no. I've put off Crime and Punishment since high school (it was one of our options for the senior AP class: I chose, you may have guessed, Wuthering Heights instead [and still, to me, fantastic]).

I'll give him, when I've time, a go! Danke!

My oldest friend is just a casual gamer, plays things like Candy Crush and stuff. The other day I showed her the trailer for Alyx, she said "Whoa! That's ****ing cool as shit!!". Then today out of the blue I get a text: "I got half-life" :D. She's having some trouble but I'm giving her some tips.

My oldest friend is just a casual gamer, plays things like Candy Crush and stuff. The other day I showed her the trailer for Alyx, she said "Whoa! That's ****ing cool as shit!!". Then today out of the blue I get a text: "I got half-life" :D. She's having some trouble but I'm giving her some tips.
1st tip: disable hd texture pack.

That's cool though. I hope she manages to get through it all.

I feel like classic HL is still pretty accessible

probably time for another play through

I feel like classic HL is still pretty accessible

probably time for another play through

Was just playing HL:S the other day. Been thinking about buying Black Mesa, it's on sale now so I'm more tempted than ever.

BM is great, it's a super impressive reimagining of HL that finally came out!

Nothing beats goldsrc HL though.

BM is great, it's a super impressive reimagining of HL that finally came out!

Nothing beats goldsrc HL though.

Thanks for that: I'll either, on a whim, buy it (and see nothing, hear nothing when it comes to my credit card account) today or, well, who knows.

Still procrastinating on a final paper that's due...when's it due (in a couple of days, Shem!)... yeah, in a couple of days. Just looking at it gives me anxiety. I don't have anything to write: Foucault's already said everything I wanted to say. Damn it, Foucault, why'd you have to exist?

This shitpost comes to you on two cups of white wine.

Was just playing HL:S the other day. Been thinking about buying Black Mesa, it's on sale now so I'm more tempted than ever.
That damn game is still in early access. I saw it on sale and thought about getting it too, but I don't want an incomplete game.

That damn game is still in early access. I saw it on sale and thought about getting it too, but I don't want an incomplete game.

Still? Ennui says "finally came out" implying completion. I know they were still working on Xen. They've been on it since 2015: I've gone all through college without its having been done.

Still? Ennui says "finally came out" implying completion. I know they were still working on Xen. They've been on it since 2015: I've gone all through college without its having been done.
That's what the steam store page says.

It's more accurate to say that the game is finally coming out, as its more or less entirely re-imagined Xen levels are currently in some kind of a beta iirc. For years, the final act of the game has been the only thing that has made it incomplete, so it's good that the full release seems to be close, even if the devs still haven't given us a clear eta.
Considering the recent news from Valve, Black Mesa might strike gold with it's release time if it actually finally does comes out before HL: Alyx. It's hilariously ironic that the community-made HL remake has been well over a decade long project though.

It's more accurate to say that the game is finally coming out, as its more or less entirely re-imagined Xen levels are currently in some kind of a beta iirc. For years, the final act of the game has been the only thing that has made it incomplete, so it's good that the full release seems to be close, even if the devs still haven't given us a clear eta.
Considering the recent news from Valve, Black Mesa might strike gold with it's release time if it actually finally does comes out before HL: Alyx. It's hilariously ironic that the community-made HL remake has been well over a decade long project though.

Good. "Is ... coming out." Present-progressive tense, indicating onwardness to completion. It's the best we can do with our language.

Wrote a thousand words tonight on one of my final papers, and I'm aiming for a thousand more, if this second cup of coffee, and I, will it. Looking forward to the holidays, though I couldn't tell you what experiences/events will fill the currently-empty position of the signified underneath that period of time that one supposes will be, let's say, a break. No matter: it'll be gone as soon as one of my fingers taps the period of this sentence. (It was the middle finger.)

I'm really glad my tfw no gf works at a hospital because this is killing me hours later.

IMG_0070.PNG

****. MY ****ING PAPERS ARE DUE. MY POETRY PORTFOLIO IS DUE AND I'VE NO TIME.

MY FINAL PAPER IS DUE FOR A SENIOR SEMINAR AND I'VE HALF OF IT WRITTEN.

I'M ****ED.

I'M ****ED.

How much time do you have? Would they notice if half is lorem ipsum?

I had a dream I met Munro at a con last night. He was quite tall.

I'M ****ED.
I sure don't miss uni. I graduated 8 years ago and I still have nightmares about exams/final papers occasionally

How much time do you have? Would they notice if half is lorem ipsum?

Half of what I wrote is essentially lorem ipsum: gratuitous jargon from which any professor could strip the veil.

I sure don't miss uni. I graduated 8 years ago and I still have nightmares about exams/final papers occasionally

I will not have missed uni by the time I've reached your age, either, I predict: even when I'm a tattered coat upon a stick, I won't have missed it.

Anyway, you recommended me the Russians, yes? You told me Crime and Punishment, but I'm going to swerve, rather, into War and Peace; I may have told you of the library I have: my plan is to steal into it in der Nacht and procure that copy I have of it--you know, the one with the giltleaved edges and moiré endleaves. That way the cats don't hear me and beg to go in.

A professor called me pretentious: boy, oh boy, I'll show him pretentious.

Checked my email today. So far, so good. Will have to check the grades for this semester to see how I did. Wasn't too keen on looking at them, which is why I prolonged it so long. I don't know what it is, but I'm hesitant about checking. We'll see how it goes.

Been playing a lot of older games recently, some from my childhood and others that I heard were good. Modded Dark Forces II last night to get the thing to work on a modern system and it's just been wonderful--that one I used to play with a joystick. Also bought System Shock 2 off some Steam sale and I've played it twice now. It amazes me what some of these oldies could do in terms of atmosphere and worldbuilding with so little to work with: you can really make the heart skip a beat with just a blob of low-quality pixels rushing down a hard-edged corridor.

Been playing a lot of older games recently, some from my childhood and others that I heard were good. Modded Dark Forces II last night to get the thing to work on a modern system and it's just been wonderful--that one I used to play with a joystick. Also bought System Shock 2 off some Steam sale and I've played it twice now. It amazes me what some of these oldies could do in terms of atmosphere and worldbuilding with so little to work with: you can really make the heart skip a beat with just a blob of low-quality pixels rushing down a hard-edged corridor.
I recently tried replaying Die By The Sword and realized what a piece of shit it is. Still fun tho. It reminds me a lot of Jedi Academy. Also, new music was released for an undisclosed boss for No More Heroes 3, I am ****ING HYPED ENOUGH TO SLAP MY DICK.

I recently tried replaying Die By The Sword and realized what a piece of shit it is. Still fun tho. It reminds me a lot of Jedi Academy. Also, new music was released for an undisclosed boss for No More Heroes 3, I am ****ING HYPED ENOUGH TO SLAP MY DICK.

BUT DOES IT TAKE IT

No but yeah I do wish this place was still popping. I remember saying it wouldn't take off again and I hate myself for that (even though I was right). I'll try to be on a bit more and on the Discord just to do my part in revitalizing it. About to go through a few major life changes which have been a long time coming and which I desperately need at this point. What a year though, all things considered.

Last edited:

Oh yeah JKA is one of my favorites--I bought a copy off Steam earlier this year and was gonna do the whole Movie Battles 2 thing but never got around to it. Depression, hey! No but yeah, I'm gonna be moving soon and probably won't be playing too much video games for a while. Might be for the best but we'll see

Back