Cheap safe drug that kills most cancer cell may have been discovered

Gray Fox

Reaction score
This may have been posted before, my apologies in advance, if it has been , but it's quit interesting so I wanted to make sure everybody here knows about this, even though I am not sure if it is true, but in any case it warrants a discussion.

Scientists cured cancer last week.

Yep.

So, why hasn't the media picked up on it?

Here's the deal. Researchers at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Canada found a cheap and easy to produce drug that kills almost all cancers. The drug is dichloroacetate, and since it is already used to treat metabolic disorders, we know it should be no problem to use it for other purposes.

Doesn't this sound like the kind of news you see on the front page of every paper?

The drug also has no patent, which means it could be produced for bargain basement prices in comparison to what drug companies research and develop.

Scientists tested DCA on human cells cultured outside the body where it killed lung, breast and brain cancer cells, but left healthy cells alone. Rats plump with tumors shrank when they were fed water supplemented with DCA.

Again, this seems like it should be at the top of the nightly news, right?

Cancer cells don't use the little power stations found in most human cells - the mitochondria. Instead, they use glycolysis, which is less effective and more wasteful.

Doctors have long believed the reason for this is because the mitochondria were damaged somehow. But, it turns out the mitochondria were just dormant, and DCA starts them back up again.

The side effect of this is it also reactivates a process called apoptosis. You see, mitochondria contain an all-too-important self-destruct button that can't be pressed in cancer cells. Without it, tumors grow larger as cells refuse to be extinguished. Fully functioning mitochondria, thanks to DCA, can once again die.

With glycolysis turned off, the body produces less lactic acid, so the bad tissue around cancer cells doesn't break down and seed new tumors.

Here's the big catch. Pharmaceutical companies probably won't invest in research into DCA because they won't profit from it. It's easy to make, unpatented and could be added to drinking water. Imagine, Gatorade with cancer control.

So, the groundwork will have to be done at universities and independently funded laboratories. But, how are they supposed to drum up support if the media aren't even talking about it?

All I can do is write this and hope Google News picks it up. In the meantime, tell everyone you know and do your own research.
sauce:http://media.www.studentprintz.com/...printz.com&MIIHost=media.collegepublisher.com
another linky: http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn10971-cheap-safe-drug-kills-most-cancers.html

Some very good criticisms on this cure: http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2007/01/in_which_my_words_will_be_misinterpreted.php

Great! Another step of greatness for mankind.

Wow, that's really awesome...sucks that it's not big because it's not profitable. Screw you, money driven world.

This may have been posted before, my apologies in advance, if it has been , but it's quit interesting so I wanted to make sure everybody here knows about this, even though I am not sure if it is true, but in any case it warrants a discussion.

sauce:http://media.www.studentprintz.com/...printz.com&MIIHost=media.collegepublisher.com
another linky: http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn10971-cheap-safe-drug-kills-most-cancers.html

Some very good criticisms on this cure: http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2007/01/in_which_my_words_will_be_misinterpreted.php

I dont believe a word of it ..I just dont trust that sauce to deliver anything that isnt tomato based

So it could change the shape of the world, but no one cares because money isn't involved. This is the biggest amount of arseholery I've ever witnessed.

It's called a good diet with plenty of exercise and keeping yourself away from pollution and toxins.

And having favourable genetics.

It's called a good diet with plenty of exercise and keeping yourself away from pollution and toxins.

And having favourable genetics.

idiot my grand mother has cancer and she has the healthiest lifestyle imaginable.You talk alot a BS,you know that?

btw the motivations are not what you think they are:

Although this indicates that DCA could some day be used in humans as a therapy against cancer, clinical trials of the effect of DCA on humans with cancer have not started yet.[8] An article in New Scientist magazine suggests that clinical trials may require public funding, as the lack of a patent reduces the incentive for any company to invest in research

in other words there's no patent meaning no company could secure the rights to market it ..it could only be distributed as a generic drug under a generic name like dichloroacetate ..but that doesnt stop companies from making products based on dichloroacetate ..much like how Javex is pretty much just chlorine. I think it's a little premature to say companies wont jump on the dichloroacetate bandwagon .."Bayer's Children Chewable Cancer Fighting Tablets™ now in Cherry flavour with less gritty/chalky taste" ...not all that far fetched

Don't hate ShortRecoil...he'll eat you, then shit you out whole again...you don't want to go through ShortRecoils ass, DO YOU?

It's alright, I don't take him too seriously. Or seriously enough. One or the other :O

Considering Cancer is the Nr1 killer in a lot of Western countries, you slap this puppy with a nice placebo and brandname and you can make A LOT of money off it.
It probs has undesirable side-effects and it says it hasn't been properly tested.
If its good.. the media will pick up for sure. Pharmaceutical companies are not teh-pwn-evil ruling the media. :p

If it hasn't been tested on humans, then its hardly worth mentioning to the public. Thats why it hasn't been in the media.

Pharmaceutical companies may not support it, but I don't see why the government won't start offering it or offering some kind of tax benefit to companies that do create it.

idiot my grand mother has cancer and she has the healthiest lifestyle imaginable.You talk alot a BS,you know that?

I'm sorry to hear that, but why am i an idiot? i said nothing offensive whatsoever.

And also, may i ask what you consider a healthy diet?
Low fat? lots of cereal grains? no animal fat?

What most people consider a healthy diet, including the government is actually a terrible diet.
And a healthy diet varies wildly depending upon your genetics.....some people thrive on diets consisting mostly of vegetable matter, others mostly meat, if they eat the other persons diet they get illness such as cancer.
Also, i should have said being young is another factor as your bodys ability to repair is hampered as you age.

Back