Chet Faliszek and Erik Wolpaw Discuss Game Writing at PAX Prime 2012

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
PAX Prime has come and gone for another year, leaving a host of exciting trailers for plenty of upcoming game titles. Something that might have been overlooked, however, is a recording of a discussion panel involving Chet Faliszek and Erik Wolpaw, two of Valve's writers involved in writing games such as Portal 2. During the panel, Stephen Toulouse, a writer for Stepto.com, interviews the pair on a number of topics regarding video game writing.

Some topics discussed include the writing process for games like Left 4 Dead 2 and Portal 2, how they managed to hire the voice actors for Left 4 Dead 2, and, quite interestingly, a cut subplot involving Chell getting married to the fat wife turret in Portal 2. The panel is definitely worth the watch, and is viewable here. The segment with Chet and Erik begins at around 1:40 into the video, and ends about an hour in, after an interesting question and answer period.

Attachments

• pax_panel.png
    pax_panel.png
    418.8 KB · Views: 14,510
Was an interesting watch, but DAMMIT wolpaw, keep your head steady, and speak into the mic!

I will always love watching these guys talk about writing and game development. The moderator at the end tried to get something about HL3 out of them, but Erik doesn't want to get fired.​
The part about the turret stalking you throughout Portal 2 sounds hilarious. Mimicking this.

He writes everything about every project he does in Evernote..

Someone get the worlds best hacker and hack his account for Half Life 3 information!

He writes everything about every project he does in Evernote..

Someone get the worlds best hacker and hack his account for Half Life 3 information!

Sounds like 2003 all over again.

I'm very confused, the link just goes back to this page, and I can't find the interview anywhere. :(

Open a new tab, and enter the link.

Did you read my post? Open a new tab, and enter the link. It works fine.

@ Omnomnick, Fix the link plz,wanted to watch it till the end.... :D
Edit: It works just fine if you copy the link adress and paste it into a new tab! Ty barnz!

Unfortunately the link isn't fixing no matter how I replace it. Must be a bug either on our part, or TwitchTV's end. Not quite sure.

Do what Barnz said and you'll be fine.

Back