Chet Faliszek Will Discuss SteamVR at EGX Rezzed; Will Be Live Streamed

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score
UPDATE: A video of Chet's SteamVR session has been uploaded to YouTube. You can watch it here.

Original Story:

logo-png.25019

It's been confirmed that Valve's Chet Faliszek will discuss SteamVR at EGX Rezzed.

The session will reveal what Valve has learned from working with developers as they create games for the VR headset known as Vive. It will also include a Q&A aspect allowing attendees to get their SteamVR and Vive questions answered.

The developer session will take place on Friday, March 13th at 1PM GMT (click here to see time in your time zone) and will be streamed live on Twitch @EGX and later added to YouTube @EGXTV.

Last edited:
Excellent, with this confirmation we can put the HL3 puppy to sleep for now and end this annoying hype out there.

no source2/hl3/l4d3 there...:(

how come you add Source 2 to your listing? I think it's more probable than not they'll show it within their glNext presentation. Leading that session, sending two people there instead of only one like the other parties do and showing no own new content would be a waste of resources and just nonsense. If they do that they could very well just pay some advertisers for Frostbite and Unreal engine, which are also part of that session.
Does anyone seriously think they use Source 1 to demonstrate that new API.

Does anyone seriously think they use Source 1 to demonstrate that new API.
They don't need to demonstrate the API, they could just discuss the benefits it brings and how it helps with development and optimisation, etc. Also, that talk has nothing to do with Chet's EGX Rezzed talk, which will likely cover SteamVR pretty exclusively.

I'm ok with this, if they show a few demos with this I'll be a satisfied clam. Needless to say they probably don't want to show-off Source 2 and HL3/L4D3 just yet so it doesn't overshadow the Steam Machines and newly revealed Steam VR and HTC Vive (or is it Re Vive?). Part of me wonders if Valve plans to announce more partnerships with other hardware manufactures, kind of like they did with the steam machines; or will they keep focus on just one VR headset to prevent over saturation of the market.

EGX said their live stream isn't working... We have to wait for them to upload to YouTube.

Why aren't you two live tweeting and on Steam mobile?

lol I didn't even remember about Chet talking about whatever not HL3 anymore.

*EDIT*

Now that the video is up, I see that it was just me being impatient, however, I still find it strange that there wasn't much talk after the session ended.

Last edited:
Wow that was....not that great?

But I'm happy they labeled it as a well kept secret, made us all dream for like a couple of seconds.

Wow that was....not that great?

But I'm happy they labeled it as a well kept secret, made us all dream for like a couple of seconds.
Your problem. SteamVR and HTC Vive were well-kept secrets, so EGX weren't lying by giving it that description.

*EDIT*

Now that the video is up, I see that it was just me being impatient, however, I still find it strange that there wasn't much talk after the session ended.
A few of us spoke to Chet one-to-one beside the stages after the show ended. Glenn and I asked about how Valve's teams are experimenting with VR, while someone else asked about how VR is implemented into Source 2, to which the reply was "it'll be a while".

Why aren't you two live tweeting and on Steam mobile?
As you've probably seen on the video now it's been uploaded, there wasn't a whole lot to live tweet about.

Last edited:
"And I think that's it... haahaa."

Smooth, Chet. You bastard. XD

I didn't mention this yet, so let's go with it: He basically laughed off the idea of Portal 3 and more or less rolled his eyes at the recent amount of retarded speculation spawning from basically nowhere during the off-screen Q/A.

While talking about the VR demo, he corrected himself after saying "Portal", instead changing to "Aperture" before we all had a good laugh about how people will blindly jump on pointless hype bandwagons while making shit up (which in my opinion almost always comes from individuals with an extremely limited view or understanding of the video games industry/Valve in general).

Yeah, **** the customers!

I don't disagree with you man, but god damn do you sound like a stuck up asshole with that one.

Maybe we should all gather round and have a nice chuckle about how Valve's marketing strategy is a a ****ing laughing stock.

*insert stock quote about how Valve owes nobody anything*

You're not wrong, you're just an asshole.

Last edited:
Your problem. SteamVR and HTC Vive were well-kept secrets, so EGX weren't lying by giving it that description.

Yes everyone already knew what he was going to talk about, I wasn't expecting anything else.

Valve can do whatever they want, it won't be my problem.

Yeah, **** the customers!
Sorry if I did sound like an asshole, but everything in that post was true. I'm just genuinely fed up with people blaming the likes of Valve or Bethesda for their own stupidly over-hyped expectations. The amount of total nonsense I read on a weekly or even daily basis baffles and frustrates me, and I know I'm not the only one in the community who sees or feels that.

Customers have nothing to do with this. If Valve wanted to please their customers, they'd have pumped out 3-4 more Half-Life games at this point, all of which would likely have gradually deteriorated in quality due to quick development turnarounds and unnecessary narrative/gameplay padding. This would slowly degrade people's faith in the franchise, effectively killing any desire for future games. It would honestly better for the Half-Life series to die with Episode Two than it would be for them to pump out repetitive sequels for years in a Battlefield/Call of Duty/Assassin's Creed type method.

Video games are, and should be, an artistic medium where the needs of the creators should come first. If Chet and the team at Valve don't want to make Portal 3 and is completely satisfied with how the story was told throughout Portal 1 and 2, why should he make a sequel? As a massive fan of Portal and Portal 2 (more so than most other Valve games), I feel there is absolutely no need for the series to progress any further. I would just be disappointed. Not to mention any future games could also damage the effectiveness of those that had come previously. Valve can keep using the universe if they really want to (through comics, spin-off games, SFM shorts, whatever), but I feel they shouldn't try to make another core sequel.

Yes everyone already knew what he was going to talk about, I wasn't expecting anything else.

Valve can do whatever they want, it won't be my problem.
It was your problem when you mentioned "dreaming" about the possibilities regarding the "well-kept secret". I know a lot of people were expecting a lot more from it, even before and after the announcement regarding its contents were made. If you don't want it to be your problem, vote with your wallet and don't buy into SteamVR or anything like that, you don't have to concern yourself with it if you don't want to.

vote with your wallet and don't buy into SteamVR or anything like that, you don't have to concern yourself with it if you don't want to.

Hey I just said exactly that in another post before reading this! How amazing was that :D

Hey I just say exactly that in another post before reading this! How amazing was that :D
Glad we're agreed then! It's honestly the best way to think about things. You can still be a Valve fan while disliking some of their practices or products, you don't have to be 100% dedicated to what they do. We all know Half-Life 3 is in development, so let's just do other things and get on with our lives until the time comes. If you're not a fan of CS:GO, Dota 2, VR, or anything like that, just ignore that news whenever it rolls around and play another game from another developer until you see something that does interest you.

There's no point running around trying to rush Valve into releasing a product they're not happy with. They're not going to fall for it and no amount of people whining or making things up in YouTube videos is going to change that.

Video games are, and should be, an artistic medium where the needs of the creators should come first.
But they aren't, they're just another way of making lots of money. Valve isn't some kind of a deity that people aren't allowed to offend and the customers are allowed to get mad if a game they're waiting for doesn't get released for years and years. Sure, people do have stupid expectations and Valve didn't sign any kind of a treaty which forces them to release a sequel to HL within x years, but this "Valve must take all the time in the world to make this glorious masterpiece which is Half-Life 3" is a bit ridiculous. They are allowed to do that, we can't just tell them "hurr durr release the unfinished game as it is now or we won't buy anything from you again!!!" but it definitely isn't a good thing or something that should be praised. Many great titles made within a 3-4 year long (or shorter) development cycle were released since Half-Life 2 and the Episodes and whatever Valve does with Half-Life 3 now won't be able to justify the ridiculously long development time.

and whatever Valve does with Half-Life 3 now won't be able to justify the ridiculously long development time.
You dont understand how Valve works. Development time for Valve is something else than development time for regular studios. Other studios start a project, have a budget and a deadline. If you have reputation or if you are independet you can stretch here and there.
Valve on the other doesnt try to be as fast as possible. They keep testing, experimenting, reiterating, doing something else, coming back to the project. There is no deadline, its done when its done.

Also video games are art. Only because we have tons of call of dutys doesnt change that, besides I would even call Call of Duty "art", doesnt mean its good.

Also video games are art. Only because we have tons of call of dutys doesnt change that, besides I would even call Call of Duty "art", doesnt mean its good.
Every video game is art, be it good or bad. Bad art exists in so many other mediums.

Do you seriously think video games shouldn't be considered art?
Okay, maybe I was wrong on that point because I guess I agree with your above post but I still think the rest of what I said was right.

Okay, maybe I was wrong on that point because I guess I agree with your above post but I still think the rest of what I said was right.
Some of it is correct, sure. But, as far as we can tell, Half-Life 3 has only been in development for 3-4 years at this point. We're pretty sure the series wasn't touched at all between the years of 2009 and 2010.

While talking about the VR demo, he corrected himself after saying "Portal", instead changing to "Aperture" before we all had a good laugh about how people will blindly jump on pointless hype bandwagons while making shit up (which in my opinion almost always comes from individuals with an extremely limited view or understanding of the video games industry/Valve in general).

Is that why Portal 2 had an ARG that the fans figured out?

But they aren't, they're just another way of making lots of money.
Sorry but you are completely wrong. That might be how some mainstream publishers see it, but it certainly is not for most developers. People do not go into game development for the money. The massive amount of indie developers out there proves that.

Back