Clang

Krynn72

The Freeman
Reaction score
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/260688528/clang

CLANG will begin with the Queen of Weapons: the two-handed longsword used in Europe during late medieval and early renaissance times. This is a well-documented style that has enjoyed a revival in recent years thanks to the efforts ofscholars and martial artists worldwide.
At first, it'll be a PC arena game based on one-on-one multiplayer dueling (which is a relatively simple and attainable goal; we don't want to mess this up by overreaching). Dueling, however, is only the tip of the sword blade. During the past few years, we have been developing a rich world, brimming with all manner of adventure tales waiting to be written--and to be played. In conjunction with 47 North, Amazon.com's new science fiction publishing house, we've already begun publishing some of those stories, and we have plenty more in the hopper. Once we get CLANG off the ground we intend to weave game and story content together in a way that'll enhance both the playing and the reading experience.
"How will this be different than SoulCalibur?" you ask. .....
Low-latency, high-precision motion controller: Critical to a satisfying sword fight is fast, accurate response. This is especially important for CLANG given the depth and complexity of moves that are used in real sword arts. Initially, CLANG will make use of a commercial, third-party, off-the-shelf controller that anyone can buy today
Depth: Roundhouse swings and crude blocks just aren't enough. Real sword fighting involves multiple attacks delivered from different stances, pommel strikes, grappling, feints, and parries.
Expandability: Implementing the longsword style will oblige us to construct a toolkit that can then be used--by us, or by others--to create other examples of what we're calling MASEs (Martial Arts System Embodiments). If your thing is Japanese kenjutsu or Viking sword-and-board, then in principle CLANG should support it.
sg8K5UsJ2cMxuXcvKr4mJXFbojhevdwdmtacDNewpM7K0faS5SjtX2_otFuqbKkQ2SHyeQfvUqpa5MwAeT75AtuSIlSUV7nz73hU98R_mX61yoa199E
Raising an army (or, in this case, building an enormous story-driven video game) is an expensive proposition and can take a number of years. In keeping with the scrappy, ragtag band of adventurers model, we are building this larger vision one step at a time. The next step is to build a functional proof of concept in the form of an exciting prototype we can share with you and use to achieve our next level of funding--which will enable us to provide more character models, more environments, and more MASEs. Which is to say, other weapons and styles from other places and eras. We are building a framework that can be expanded as far and as deeply as possible. We have, after all, several thousand years of martial history to draw from.

Laughed like hell and shouted "you mother****er!" when I saw the cameo by you-know-who in the kickstarter video.

Nice concept, will wait to see how it shapes up.

Love all this Kickstarter racketeering. Can you even call it that?

I'm sure this will be quite sword after.

Looks pretty cool, the cameo was brilliant.

Game looks neat and they seem passionate about their product but I'm not sure I'll bother getting a motion-controller for just this game since from what I understand it is a requirement to play it.

I like the passion-project angle of all this but I really couldn't care less about motion control tech in its current form. Stephenson - Neal Stephenson (author) is the big face behind all this, btw, and it's his voice on the vids - seems to have something against standard input methods, whereas I think motion controls without proper haptic feedback are just as flawed as gamepads/mouse/keyboards in terms of immersion.

Also, I just feel weird about this being on Kickstarter. For one, Stephenson is surely rolling in cash, credibility and business knowhow, so could probably fund this with loans or proper investment if he really wanted, as opposed to enthusiastic nerds on Kickstarter who he's barely answerable to. On the flipside, considering the ambition of the project, he's asked for too little for it to be capable of meeting expectations IMO.

I'm also surprised it hasn't met the funding target yet. While I'd like to see it do that and become a success, I'm only prepared to broadcast my psychic hope rays at it from afar.

Laughed like hell and shouted "you mother****er!" when I saw the cameo by you-know-who in the kickstarter video.
Yeah I had to do a double take (ie rewind and watch again) just to make sure I actually saw that.

Should I feel stupid for not knowing who you guys are talking about?

Watch the video on the kickstarter page. If you already have, then yeah, you should.

Ooooooh. I thought you were talking about one of the vids in the OP. Jeez.

So did I; I kept thinking "where's that cameo?".

Anyway, the cameo part was posted on the front page of this very website about a month ago I think.

Cool, but not my cup of tea. They got good production value on their Kickstarter videos though.

I almost fell asleep watching the video. Neat concept for a niche market, I guess.

Pleasantly surprised they got funded. Well done.

I like the author but christ is this gameplay not for me. I will be interested to see what the final product looks like, though.

Oh well, have fun doing stances Krynn.

I probably won't play it. Not a fan of motion controllers.

It would be much more appealing if I wasn't so damned lazy.

So they've hit their goal. Looks like some people have faith in motion controls.

I just wanted someone to make a game with proper sword fighting.

Would be cool, but the hardware is what I'm more concerned about. Once we find out more concrete evidence about that I may be more interested.

Props to this guy for trying something different though.

Back