Close call on the road - whose fault would it have been?

Unfocused

Companion Cube
Reaction score
A few minutes ago I almost had a collision.

(I drive on the right side of the road BTW)

I was driving out of a supermarket's driveway, about to turn right. As I approached the main road I checked my left and since it was clear, I went ahead and took a right turn out of the driveway only to see a car in my lane, overtaking another vehicle. He managed to get back into his lane just in time to avoid a head-on (not sure if the car being overtaken braked).

This is where it happened

I'm the green "car" having just left the driveway, the red one is overtaking, the blue one is being overtaken. It was all probably closer than it looks, but I don't feel like playing with perspective transformation in Photoshop atm. :p

tescollision.jpg

So if we collided - whose fault would it have been? Technically I was already on the main road - if he hit me, it wouldn't have been mid-turn. Admittedly I did not pay much attention to the right side while turning, but I'm not sure if I would have even noticed the maneuver (not sure when he started it), plus you don't really expect someone to be driving on the wrong side of the road.

His fault, for making an unsafe overtake. He's the one who has to make sure its safe to enter another lane to pass somebody, and that includes looking for traffic entering.

I know because I am a road lawyer.

His fault, for making an unsafe overtake. He's the one who has to make sure its safe to enter another lane to pass somebody, and that includes looking for traffic entering.

I know because I am a road lawyer.

OH YEAH!?

I am a road WARRIOR!

I'd say it's his fault. I always hate people who make unsafe passes. My dad is ****ing nuts doing that when we drive across the country. Always makes me nervous.

If you were already fully on the road when he began overtaking it'd have been his fault. If he was already clearly overtaking as you pulled out it would have been yours imo for not checking both directions.

Everytime you get into a vehicle to drive tell yourself to watch out for other morons. It will keep you alert to your actions and to others.

This is why here in America Land of the Free our 2 lane roads dont let you overtake unless they're highways with long straight stretches and no entrances/exits. Instead, if you're stuck behind someone slow, you just drive up to three inches behind them and follow them the whole way like that and if you end up hitting them you get out and yell at them like its their fault.

Everytime you get into a vehicle to drive tell yourself to watch out for other morons. It will keep you alert to your actions and to others.
I just started driving (I know, I'm terrible) and this is what everyone keeps telling me, has worked out so far. I take it one step further and apply it to myself as well since, at this stage at least, it's true. :v

That road really shouldn't allow overtaking at all.

I just started driving (I know, I'm terrible) and this is what everyone keeps telling me, has worked out so far. I take it one step further and apply it to myself as well since, at this stage at least, it's true. :v
It's true enough for me and I've been driving for about 4 years. I always tell people learning that once you learn to drive properly, you realise most other people can't / won't.

I usually am pretty thorough about checking before changing lanes and the like, there are a lot of idiot drivers out there. I've been one of them, at times, in the past. But I don't usually come across that situation in these parts, roads are usually 2 (or more) lanes in each direction and seperated by a turn lane or median.

Not sure if this is still the case, but back in the olden days when I took drivers ed and the exam, I remember them saying a larger roadway would trump a smaller roadway, so someone driving on a feeder would have to yeild to someone coming off the freeway, for example.

I also remember from a few of my defensive driving classes, they would stress to always yeild right of way, even if it should rightfully be yours.

Kick his f*ggot ass next time you see his gay as self around town. He ain't got no right macking on yor girl and you sho enough need to dump her triflin' ass unless you a pussy bitch who ain't got nuts.

Aight then here the thing man. You gonna take her to you bedroom, you gonna do her in the ass or actually don't do that cause man that is some straight up dookie I don't get that shit man do her all doggy style and when you get ready to pull out tell her you're breaking up with her triflin' ass while you nut on her face. Get it all up in her eyes too she hate that shit lmao.

Back