Combine and Xen Connection (A long, Comprehensive Theory of evererything HL)

Dag said:
What is going on on Xen during HL2? I really wanted to see that the Alien Grunts had more purpose.

Around the end of hl1/start of hl2, breen launches the satelites and spreads the portal storms over earth. As this happens, you kill the Nihilanth, and all the vortigaunts and grunts on xen are freed from combine control.

G-man tells you that 'we' control xen for the time being. I believe that this 'we' is the faction that G-man belongs to.
The portal storms continue for as long as it takes to infect earth totally, before stopping or slowing (we never did see any monsters teleport in hl2 did we?).

Most likely, the grunts left on xen either died, or went the way of the Stalkers we see in the Aftermath screenshots : comatose until disturbed, with no real purpose.

EDIT: i imagine that xen is no longer going to feature in the half life story, why would you go back? its not as if the Combine would want it back either.

Ah, cabbs, perhaps we might revisit Xen. We can never be really sure what happens now that we know time-manipulation is somehow involved.

Around the end of hl1/start of hl2, breen launches the satelites and spreads the portal storms over earth. As this happens, you kill the Nihilanth, and all the vortigaunts and grunts on xen are freed from combine control.

G-man tells you that 'we' control xen for the time being. I believe that this 'we' is the faction that G-man belongs to.
The portal storms continue for as long as it takes to infect earth totally, before stopping or slowing (we never did see any monsters teleport in hl2 did we?).

Most likely, the grunts left on xen either died, or went the way of the Stalkers we see in the Aftermath screenshots : comatose until disturbed, with no real purpose.

Around the end of Half Life 1, Gordon goes to Xen and kills Nihilanth, this free's the Vortigaunts from his control over the Vortessence. Grunts (an offshoot of Vortigaunts) die out, and Controllers wage a war against U.S. Forces and Vortigaunts. G-Man tells you that we control Xen, meaning the U.S. Government.
Portal Storms ravage Earth.
The Combine notice all this Dimensional 'hulla-boloo' going off and Breen/Combine make contact with each other using the Sattelite, they learn of Earths weakened state and invade.

EDIT: i imagine that xen is no longer going to feature in the half life story, why would you go back? its not as if the Combine would want it back either.

The Combine may now have conquered it, after either noticing Portal Storms on Xen or Breen/Mossman giving them co-ordinates.

oh no i dont think the alien grunts died out, why should they ?

-otherwise agreed.

cabbs said:

I believe that the portal storms stopped when you killed Nihalinth - that was your ultimate goal as during black mesa earth was shaken with the same horrors.

The sattelite was sent into space to help you get to xen, as well.

Samon said:
I believe that the portal storms stopped when you killed Nihalinth - that was your ultimate goal as during black mesa earth was shaken with the same horrors.

For the first time ever, I disagree with you, Samon. Read raising the bar - the portal storms continued and got worse after Nihilanth's death.
But it has nothing to do with the Combine.

-Angry Lawyer

Angry Lawyer said:
For the first time ever, I disagree with you, Samon. Read raising the bar - the portal storms continued and got worse after Nihilanth's death.
But it has nothing to do with the Combine.

-Angry Lawyer

It's in raising the bar? *Me checks

And on page 142, lies my ownage. It says that, yes..thus it's very right, but it could have been changed no?

I think it's a key element, considering the number of newspapers stating "Portal storms continue" and the like.

-Angry Lawyer

I was under the impression that the portal storms occured as a direct result of the Nihilanth's fall, effectivelly rendering the G-man's (or rather his "employers") control over Xen obselete.

Presumably Xen was held in check by the Nihilanth- for all I know the borderworld was utterly savaged or even destroyed by the storms and their resulting random teleportations.

Samon said:

The sattelite was not launched to help you get to Xen; it was launched to stop the Resonance Cascade from spreading beyond Black Mesa. It might have even reversed it... it's been a while since I played Decay, but I do know it had nothing to do with going to Xen.

Which why I wonder how the Portal Storms came to be... they should have been stopped by the Sattelite...

eber said:
oh no i dont think the alien grunts died out, why should they ?

-otherwise agreed.
Because they were grown in the Xen factories and probably can't reproduce.

But, if you chose the bad ending at the end of HL1, you'd see that they have thousands still left. And the Xenians wouldn't only have one factory - they're not stupid, and one factory couldn't produce the number of troops the Xenians had.

-Angry Lawyer

Good point, but they may be dead by now, or still on Xen, or in another world altogther, doing the g-man's / Combines / Comntrolers bidding.

Or maybe because such an owning was applied to the Xenians by Gordon that they've decided to sit back and nurse their wounds. It'd be kinda cool if, with all the hubbub on Earth between the Combine and the Humans, the Xenians decided to have an attack of oppertunity and cause as much trouble in as little space of time as possible.

Come on Riomhaire, join the Combine-don't-control-Xen side, and together we will rule the galaxy. Possibly.

-Angry Lawyer

I think by now I couldn't possibly change sides without it being confirmed be Valve, rather an anti-climax after what we've been through.

But, if you do.. I'll make one of the Vortigaunt leaders in the single player component of my mod be called Riomhaire.

Tempted now?

-Angry Lawyer

Or you could join me - I support niether side. Granted, I'm more for a free xen..

ríomhaire said:
Because they were grown in the Xen factories and probably can't reproduce.
there werent grown in the xen factory . or do you have any proof ?

eber said:
there werent grown in the xen factory . or do you have any proof ?
You see them in pods things (can't remember much about them, been ages since I've played HL1 and can't find CD, come on BMS. Does anyone have screenshots?) being worked on by vorts, thats proof enough for me.

@ Angry, I keep getting the feeling I'm going do download your mod and then in the opening scene there is a blue eyed vortigaunt leading an attack on the Combine that gets his head blown off in the first 2 minutes.

I get the feeling my 56k will explode trying to download Angrys mod.

ríomhaire said:
You see them in pods things (can't remember much about them, been ages since I've played HL1 and can't find CD, come on BMS. Does anyone have screenshots?) being worked on by vorts, thats proof enough for me.

@ Angry, I keep getting the feeling I'm going do download your mod and then in the opening scene there is a blue eyed vortigaunt leading an attack on the Combine that gets his head blown off in the first 2 minutes.

You're right about them being grown, and being tended by Vorts, but that's why the COmbine and Xenians are different. The Xenians grow their troops. The Combine build theirs. Organic versus mechanical.

And the Vortigaunts have probably got to play a bigger part in my mod than just die. Might add a bit in which they defend Xen from invading Combine AFTER the Combine discover it through Mossman's research.

-Angry Lawyer

ríomhaire said:

after all evidence and proofs you dont believe in the combine-never- controlled xen -theory but seeing some alien grunts in pods is enough proof for you to say that they were grown in the factory. just think about it.

Angry Lawyer said:
You're right about them being grown, and being tended by Vorts, but that's why the COmbine and Xenians are different. The Xenians grow their troops. The Combine build theirs. Organic versus mechanical.

And the Vortigaunts have probably got to play a bigger part in my mod than just die. Might add a bit in which they defend Xen from invading Combine AFTER the Combine discover it through Mossman's research.

-Angry Lawyer

hes right ? hmm you have no proof its just speculating, or well ... its your opinion.

eber said:
after all evidence and proofs you dont believe in the combine-never- controlled xen -theory but seeing some alien grunts in pods is enough proof for you to say that they were grown in the factory. just think about it.

And what does that prove? That both races use factories?

Ever seen cars being made? Or tanks? Mass-production is not Combine-specific.

-Angry Lawyer

Langolier said:
The sattelite was not launched to help you get to Xen; it was launched to stop the Resonance Cascade from spreading beyond Black Mesa. It might have even reversed it... it's been a while since I played Decay, but I do know it had nothing to do with going to Xen.

Which why I wonder how the Portal Storms came to be... they should have been stopped by the Sattelite...

Hmm, I'm really upset that I haven't played Decay. Someone should post the script for it online.

Angry Lawyer said:
And what does that prove? That both races use factories?

Ever seen cars being made? Or tanks? Mass-production is not Combine-specific.

-Angry Lawyer
I think he means I'm are being convinced by almost nothing but I'm not sure.

Eber has an odd way of describing things. Anybody who can decipher his texts is probably worthy of a degree.

-Angry Lawyer

Angry Lawyer said:
Eber has an odd way of describing things. Anybody who can decipher his texts is probably worthy of a degree.

-Angry Lawyer

Do you get a degree for an attempt?

Back