complex mod idea *long*

Iced_Eagle

Tank
Reaction score
hey guys... while i am waiting for HL2 I decided "hey why not create an idea for a mod!" Now, the thing is I'm in 2 hl2 mods already and I wanted to open up my experience a little. That's why I am also thinking of possibly doing this for Halo/Halo 2 or Doom 3

Type: FPS/Mutliplayer

Base of Idea: Well, I want alot to take place in space. It would be 100% joystick compatible for the hardcore sims out there. Would be a 0g environment which means no friction to make it a bit realistic... I may have it so that there are auto brakes to eventually slow you down or something but idk.... Not only will it take place in space.. but there will also be an ongoing battle on the planet! For the mapping it could just be 2 maps but I have an idea for a unique transition effect when loading one or the other.. it would show the fire on the windshield as you see in movies when you go through atmosphere..

Story: Will take place in 2232 (yes.. nice odd number for us to play tech games with). Humans have finally mastered the art of colinaztion and have spread to many planets inside our solar system. Now there have been transports going out of our system into others to colinize them.. im thinking that their could be some form of alien race out there who take to us as being hostile and well... want to stop our colinzation....

Gameplay:

Humans (Planet):Well it would go like this. For the human planet I want the head honcho to be the commander. He is able to build different structures (and when I say structures I don't mean NS sized structures... I'm talking huge ass Renegade style structures.. the way I thought NS should be). The aliens are on the far reaches of the planet but they have a totally different building system (please help me with a unique system! must be different than a commander). In the buildings the infantry can get new weaponry, get upgrades (armor upgrades, HUD upgrades, visual upgrades like nightvision, x-ray, thermal. They can also pick up vehicles the commander has ordered and could even see it get built watching it through a window(well, hopefully)... There is also a main transportation building that launches transports into space (Can take 10 players up at a time). The space transport though is free at the beginning along with the command post. There will also be a space teleport station which costs money (it lets the commander send items, not players, up to space instantly. this is incase the fighters in space need immediate assistance but the player on ground cannot waste any more troops or their shuttle is not docked, repairing, refueling (this will be used as the timer so that you can have one ship up every 10 mins. It will be launched up into space, do a 5 min timer to allow any troops aboard that need to get to planet, then gets sent back and refuels for 10 mins.) There will also be a defense tower which builds defenses such as defense robots, plasma gun nests, mortars, lazer walls, lazer gates. They will also have troop cloners which will be the spawn point (There will be a stationary one for bases, mobile one for assaults. To balance, the mobile can only have so many players in the spawn que so that the commander just doesnt build stationary spawns, which can have unlimited que list, and only builds mobile spawns).

Aliens(Planet): Well, the aliens will be the hardest thing. Due to the already intense complexity of the mod I think this would probably come at version 2.0. Although I WILL accept suggestions. I want them to be as different from humans as possible. They have only meet in battles and they need to seem more about teamwork as they will not have an absolute ruler/commander but will have Leaders (new name plz). I'm thinking that the aliens have it opposite... their bases are in space while their outposts, bigger ships and such would be on the planet....

General (Planet): The maps will be about the size of a Tribes 2 map (if i remember their size right). It may be bigger though depending on what the mapper decides. Plenty of variety. I want each map to be a different world sort of speak. Each with it's own physical properties

Commander (Planet): He would have a RTS view of course. He is able to command troops via waypoints shown on the HUD. He has the ability to elect Squad Leaders. The squad leader will be bound to the planet only and unable to go to space unless the commander does the Scramble! command which allows space ships to transport in half the time for 15 mins which means a max of 2 trips in one time period. But when it is over it will take another 15 mins for the ships to recharge which is the penalty. Squads will also be set to a home space ship. It will be their space ship of choice so to speak. When they get transported into space they will go to their home ship. It does not mean that they cannot move off it though. They can use regualar transports.

Humans (Space): This will be another truely hard part to do. First of all, I want all the ships to be able to be piloted via joystick (mouse keyboard will of course still work) but the joy of using a joystick (haha pun) is much more satisfying. They will range from simple scouts whose main duty is to find enemy craft, report them, do scouting for figuring out future plans. The scout's data would be transmitted in the form of a "enhanced map" so to speak. The captain would start off with a basic map of the space system. Then the scout would explore and whatever he has in his radius would appear on the captain's map then. (Think of explorers in any RTS game.. you send little, fast people off who explore and they add to your view). Their would be different classes of ships: Scouts (for exploring), Transports (take a guess), Fighters (air to air.. or would you say space to space since techincally there is no air..), bombers, frigates, capital ships(these are the MAIN ships in space. They receive the space transports from the planet), interceptors (very fast, possible cloaked. They have low shields low so can get ripped apart it not careful). 7 classes sound perfect to me! Each captain would have explicit control over his ship. They can create different types of ships so each ship created would be under their ultimate rule. He views his ships in his command as 3D blueprints sort of speak. What I imagine the captial ship battles will be like is a scene from a movie. Defenders have overtuned tables and created baricades to hide in (actualy I think it was Halo) and the opposing force is just bombarding them but their are enough troops and defenses to hold them back unless either one messes up and then the tide of war changes for that ship. The captain can do certain space upgrades for his soldiers. There will be very few space-ship bound vehicles like mechs. If there will be they will only be bound to certain areas like cargo bays and such. The construction hanger will have different construction pads on one side and on the other side of the ship are the landing pads. There will be 3 on each side. That means 3 ships can be docked and 3 can be constructing. Again, I want the player to see this vehicles being built. Once a ship has been completed an audio warning goes over the PA that states "*ship name* has been completed and is in the construction bay!" The captain cannot build any ships on that platform until the ship has been flown off. A ship if it needs to be upgraded/repaired/rearmed will need to be flown to the hanger. When the player has locked onto the hanger and is within range he can activate auto-pilot which flies you in there automatically. I want to have it eventually where you can do a manual fly-in to show your mad flying skills or if their is bad damage and is difficult to drive (as with most auto-pilots they can't compensate for damage completely, as this is in the future it can steady the ship from spinning completely out of control).

Aliens (Space): As stated above Im thinking this is where the aliens should have their bases to make it different. They will feature sleek craft that use electrons for ammo. *SIDE NOTE*I am on the ES team which inspired me to make the space portion and as you see they have inspired me NOT to use lasers*/SIDE NOTE* I am still thinking of interesting ideas to use for space combat/bases for aliens

General (Space): This is going to be the area I know alot of players will want to play. That is why I am putting alot of thought into space. The planet portion will be even more tactical and possibly more fun.

Captain (Space): He can order squads, individual units waypoints via the use of their HUD. He can research space upgrades. He can construct ships. Now to defend his ship he can use doors to his advantage. He sets his ship to a certain "code" which determines how they move throughout ship.

Green = Free roam, security turrets at minimal watch. Will not fire w/out orders from captain or unless shot at.

Yellow = All doors close and captain can open certain doors for free entry. If a soldier tries to go through locked door he simply uses the "use" button which will send a request to captain to open door. He either accepts (door opens, 10 secs later closes) or denies (access denied sound played with red orange light blinking).

Red = Blast doors shut. No open door requests to captain. It takes 20 seconds for a door to open cause of the blast doors.

*CONTINUED*

General: For the planets I want them to be completely customizable by the mapper. That means each planet would have it's own native gravity settings, friction settings, and whatever other physical things you can change.

Resource collecting: There will be two different resources. Humans collect Ore for the planet and Crystallis for space (2 different factories. space factory distributes ore evenly with captains. captains can place order with commander and all commander has to do is place the building somewhere, none of the planet money is lost in this.). Crystallis will give you more money as there will be probably 2 captains up there who must split the money.

Okay! That is my alpha version of my mod design. A long ways to go and must fill in details. I hope you liked it. I will soon talk to VALVe to see if this is possible. I am thinking of making this 64 players since that means 32 players a team, 1 commander, 2 captains, 29 active soldiers. 2 squads, 13 in one squad, 14 in other. (space and planet). AGAIN I'm not sure which engine but I'm hoping Source could do the things mentioned above. It would involve a massive, precise, skilled dev team. I am thinking that if I go through there would be two "squads" of devs that form one team. The planet team which codes all planet stuff. And space squad which codes all space stuff. They would then work together to fit the pieces together between them. If anyone would be interested in helping me design this mod then please PM me! I would also love to have some concept artists as well but they aren't required cause I'm still creating design but if you flexible in your design styles PM me too... If you have open web space well then PM me as well! For the webspace: I would prefer a non-engine oriented site. That means no iced.halflife2mods.com (that is example site.. if you own halflife2mods.com i mean no offense to you). I would rather prefer Iced.goodgaming.com (again if thats your site i mean no offense)

*note* I have no title :( help

FEEDBACK PRETTY PLEASE!!! I WILL TAKE HARSHEST CRITICISM!

Most MODs will fail because they have the inability to focus. You obviously lack the ability to focus. Work on making 1 MOD great.

I honestly don't get what you are saying. This is one mod. I just threw the ideas out there to see if you like the GENERAL concept.. this is nothing to base a mod off yet. its like .1 of the design doc. I was just sick of keeping it in my head for so long.

Or are you saying this is to complex to be a mod? I just emailed VALVe a bunch of questions and I should receive the answers by morning (it's like my own personal dev team ^.^)

elaborate please

what he's saying is that you're going for everything all at once and you're probably gonna get nothing as a result. Think about all the features you're asking for, that's about 20x the work of a simple mod, and most simple mods never make it to beta 1. I like the space figher idea though. I'd say stick with that and scratch the whole planet stuff. If you are gearing towards rts, maybe think homeworld. What I'd like to see is a homeworld space battle where actual players are controlling each spaceship, utter madness

yeah the general idea is great : mixing NS and Homeworld. the problem is that its too big. as dan said, a mod where each guy can control its own ship would be nice i mean lets say u all start in a huge ship, the mothership then the commander (fleet-command :LOL: ) would build ships lets say a res collector, u jump in it n then u go harvest res, u bring back ur load back to the ms and keep doing that. i mean yeah its a pretty boring work but it could make ur flying skills go up n the commander gives u a better ship.

also, if u want to keep ur main idea, planet + space, u should make the mod for HL2 and ask the Natural-Selection team for help cause they didnt plan to make NS2 yet (i guess) so they could build the mod around ur idea. oh and 2 teams of 13-14 soldiers is not good : if the commander can send 10 ppl at a time, 3 or 4 guys will stay on the planet. teams of 5 would be a lot better. u know a 5 fighters squad in space is pretty cool.

well i just don't want to do a space battle.. that is what Eternal-Silence is doing.. I wanted to add more than that. If this does go through I know it will take longer than the average mod. I'm trying to be original.

I just contacted Flayra. Waiting for his reply. God it would be cool if he agrees to help.

First of all, what you are planning sounds like a Massive Multiplayer online game, nothing like a neat small mod and I do NOT think you have an idea how much work you are looking at by trying to combine space battle with ground battle inside battleships and on planetscapes all at the same time... (or did I misundestand that part?)

I advise you to scribble all yor ideas on a big piece of paper. Then pack it into a box, wait for a week, get it back out and look which ideas you still think are good and what can be simplyfied without compromising your vision...

But i like the idea of combining space battle with ground battle, focus on this and try to find a simple way to implement it.

Remember what Hannibal Lector said to Clarice?

"Simplicity, simplicity."

First off, just think of version 1 and what you're gonna put into Version 1. Put your Version 2 ideas aside. So I'm not gonna say nething about aliens.
Seven ships? No, fewer ones, then add later. I think three-four is good. Same thing with your defense structures and resources. Heck, one will do for each. Scratch captains (those will be ur vets naturally). And you want to work it so that u don't need 32 players total.

As for e-mailing God Flayra, I have this to say: Don't waste his time. A concept is not good enough. You have to show concept art, coding examples, map examples, a DETAILED/CONCRETE design documentation, and a good team. You can't get something out of nothing. It's like asking my math teacher a problem which I didn't start, doesn't look too good. And he's too busy for NS to join your team unfortunately (NS is truly near a breakthru with Valve, I can feel it).

Back